Advice on fitment?

Cornwall-Bow

Hello guys, I'm after some advice on a set of wheels I'm looking atm. Just curious about weather they will fit my JDM 2004 350z (standard OEM suspension) without any rubbing, horrendous ride quality or problems over speed bumps. Dose anyone else have similar wheels and have any problems? 

The specs for the wheels are: Fronts = 8.5" ET 33 Tyres are Goodyear eagle F1 235/35 19. 6mm Tread. Rears = 9.5" ET35 Tyres are Goodyear eagle f1 265/30 19. 3mm Tread. 

Thanks in advance! 

• Like 1

On the front you'll have approx. 6.5mm more arch gap and 6.5mm less ground clearance (lower)

On the rear you'll have approx. 18mm more arch gap and 18mm less ground clearance (lower)

Pros -

Lower centre of gravity

Stiffer sidewall for flatter cornering

Size and offsets of the wheels are very close to OEM so fitment is fine

Cons -

Thinner sidewall for less comfort (~30% smaller!)

Less ground clearance.

The biggest problem is the ratio between the front and back. - as standard the front is slightly smaller than rear - the spec you have stated is smaller at the back.

This will result in traction control cutting power at anything more than about 10mph and make the car undriveable with TC left on.

Solution - change the rear tyres for a 265/35/19 size. You'll still have very slightly less ground clearance, less sidewall for comfort and slightly more arch gap though.

Stock wheel/tyre heights are -

225/45/18 = 660mm

245/45/18 = 678mm

Your proposed -

235/35/19 = 648mm

265/30/19 = 643mm

(265/35/19 = 668mm)

See here https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/ and here https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php? 

• Like 2

As above, I always use willtheyfit.com , it's great for plugging in tyre and wheel sizes to see the results.

You can then jam your hand or fingers in between your arches and tyre to work out what the change will do :thumbs:;)  

• Like 1

I disagree on the size differences/TC issue. The difference on both is less than 3%, the car will be happy with that and that’s not an uncommon tyre size to run when moving to 19” wheels.

Spot on about the lack of sidewall causing comfort problems though, plus the car will likely be slower and handle noticeably poorer given the usual increase in unsprung mass that moving to larger wheels normally entails. 

• Like 2

Thanks very much for the advice guys, really appreciate the detailed write ups! I'll keep looking, as I'm running 17's with the factory OEM JDM wheels should I just look for some nice 18's so I don't have such a big trade off with ride quality? Or would you guys still recommend 19's? 

Edited by Cornwall-Bow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cornwall-Bow said:

Thanks very much for the advice guys, really appreciate the detailed write ups! I'll keep looking, as I'm running 17's with the factory OEM JDM wheels should I just look for some nice 18's so I don't have such a big trade off with ride quality? Or would you guys still recommend 19's? 

Ahh I forgot about the 17" option.

So they are 658 and 668mm tall.

If you really like those wheels and/or they're a great price then maybe go 225/40/19 and 245/40/19 which are 663 and 678mm tall. The taller the combo, the better aesthetically it'll look as there will be reduced/minimal arch gap, without compromising on ground clearance which can be an issue. You could then drop the car on -20mm springs for example and still be close to stock ground clearance and have almost zero arch gap.

You'd move down from a 50 profile tyre as OEM size is 225/235/50/17 to 40 profile, which will look 'sportier' and have less roll, while still maintaining decent comfort.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, msitpro said:

Ahh I forgot about the 17" option.

So they are 658 and 668mm tall.

If you really like those wheels and/or they're a great price then maybe go 225/40/19 and 245/40/19 which are 663 and 678mm tall. The taller the combo, the better aesthetically it'll look as there will be reduced/minimal arch gap, without compromising on ground clearance which can be an issue. You could then drop the car on -20mm springs for example and still be close to stock ground clearance and have almost zero arch gap.

You'd move down from a 50 profile tyre as OEM size is 225/235/50/17 to 40 profile, which will look 'sportier' and have less roll, while still maintaining decent comfort.

Yeah kinda love how the 17's feel on our gloriously bumpy B roads but they definitely look undersized and I feel that bigger would be better. Fair play really appreciate the information, probably won't change the suspension, but I'm definitely leaning towards some 18's as they're that little bit cheaper.