First Z - approx £10k budget - what would you do?

Bit of an update - have been doing a bit more research on options, I have definitively ruled out the main competitor to my 370Z decision: I managed to sit in an MX5 RF (ND1, given budget constraints) earlier in the week, and at 6'2/6'3 my head was buckled under the roof. Even in a soft top I was more than brushing it. The cabin also felt tiny compared to my frame - comparisons to Noddy were pretty much on the money. So, that was the more B-road focused alternative I was toying with crossed off the list. The only other on the list was the BRZ/GT86, but I'm almost certain that that just isn't what I'm looking for either.

So I'm highly likely to be pulling the trigger on a 370Z in the coming weeks. Given what you all mentioned about ideally needing to stretch the budget if going for 370Z rather than 350Z, I think I could reasonably stretch to around £15k. Unfortunately not enough to touch nismo territory. But what would you be going for/looking for with that in mind? Something newer, closer to £15k but hopefully 30-40k miles instead? Or sticking around the 10-12 mark with an older car but relatively low miles still?

With that in mind, I'm just trying to get a good idea on value really. For example, do you guys think these few are reasonably priced? Anything you'd be wanting to know in particular about either/both if you were looking to purchase? They all feel like they are prob a little over-priced from the sentiments I see on forums like these, but just really checking on what the things I should really be looking for are, and if I'm missing anything that might not appear obvious when it comes to 370Zs:

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11139770 - ~£12k, 2009, ~69k miles

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102169128552 - ~£13k, 2009, ~46k miles

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102129004036 - ~£14k, 2010, 44k miles

Any thoughts at all very welcome!

cheers

I rather a Urine Z P than the GTR :lol: especially when that engine can be tuned to 600hp and run under 11 seconds. An engine swap with vr30 in the 370 would be interesting. 

Id say take your time. There will be more coming on the market soon. Midwest have a history of selling ZEDs

Edited by GranTurismoEra

1 hour ago, coldel said:

OP, not you offering your Porsche in a PX for a VX220 on the FB pages per chance? Not that I am looking to move mine on at all given the amount of money spent on it, just out of curiosity really.

Afraid not - haven't quite decided what to do with the 924S yet - whether to keep it as a bit of a project (like your VX220 - amazing car and build btw, something to aspire to) or just to let it go to focus on the next beast (likely a 370z).

Would love to get into something like VX220 ownership (been daydreaming about an elise/exige/evora for years now), but think it'll have to come about somewhere down the line - ie when I have at least one practical/reliable car to live with daily! Plus on the VX220/elise front - I think it could be an MX5 Noddy moment all over again when i try to squeeze myself into one of those!

Cheers

1 hour ago, hiphopopotamus said:

Afraid not - haven't quite decided what to do with the 924S yet - whether to keep it as a bit of a project (like your VX220 - amazing car and build btw, something to aspire to) or just to let it go to focus on the next beast (likely a 370z).

Would love to get into something like VX220 ownership (been daydreaming about an elise/exige/evora for years now), but think it'll have to come about somewhere down the line - ie when I have at least one practical/reliable car to live with daily! Plus on the VX220/elise front - I think it could be an MX5 Noddy moment all over again when i try to squeeze myself into one of those!

Cheers

Thanks for the compliments! VX220 ownership is not for the lighthearted, if you like a comfy seat, power steering and heating its not the car for you :lol:

They just built the last ever Elise as Lotus cease production of the Evora, Elise and Exige - prices for used Lotus are only going to rise and drag the VX220 up with them, dont wait too long ;) and you would be surprised at the headroom in them, the seats are just a few inches higher than the cars floor and the fabric roof arcs over the car with a clever tension design. 

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1

The seats in my VXR were the comfiest I’ve ever sat in, which was lucky as I bought the car totally unseen from Wales and had never driven one :lol:

But if you have any interest in cars whatsoever and the budget allows, an Elise-chassis car must be owned at least once in your life. Even if for only a year, it’ll be the most memorable year of driving you’ll ever have. 

• Like 2

I think if I had 10k, I would buy a minter of a 350z that’s been well looked after. With the change left over, do as you please, keep it looking mint condition and ‘tastefully’ modified (retrimmed steering wheel, exhaust etc). I’ve said for the last year they’re creeping in price and will continue to do as they slowly get written off, finer examples are hard to come by. 

I haven’t driven a 370z, but chose 350z as others said they’re more ‘raw’.

Either way both are great cars and everyone will tell you their opinions, but the only one that matters is yours!

30 minutes ago, Jordanch said:

I think if I had 10k, I would buy a minter of a 350z that’s been well looked after. With the change left over, do as you please, keep it looking mint condition and ‘tastefully’ modified (retrimmed steering wheel, exhaust etc). I’ve said for the last year they’re creeping in price and will continue to do as they slowly get written off, finer examples are hard to come by. 

I haven’t driven a 370z, but chose 350z as others said they’re more ‘raw’.

Either way both are great cars and everyone will tell you their opinions, but the only one that matters is yours!

On 23/02/2021 at 16:26, GranTurismoEra said:

I rather a Urine Z P than the GTR :lol: especially when that engine can be tuned to 600hp and run under 11 seconds. An engine swap with vr30 in the 370 would be interesting. 

Id say take your time. There will be more coming on the market soon. Midwest have a history of selling ZEDs

Shame i sold my zed for a lot less than 10k nearly a year ago to Midwest performance, a guy called Josh on the Facebook page has and he's claiming that he done all the mods to it

• Haha 2

Facebook sign up is quick and easy....Like 5 mins verification. If you wish to set the record straight and put Josh on the naughty step:bangin:

PS: Product placement, my 2016 65 plate nismo is up for sale 18399 which is not far off px on a newer car. There was a black 64 plate for sale at 17500 for 5 days. Either got snapped up or taken down.

4 Nismos for sale, Rumours of production end probably changed a few minds about selling. 'Probably'....

Im just suprised about the White mk1  in Scotland been on there longer than mine. Its colour coded. Suprised no ones bought it. If I was looking Id probably try knock it down a bit.

At the end of the day your budget is your budget and there are a few from the 54 zeds for sale under 15k