Carbon Fibre Engine Covers

Bunning

I quite fancy a carbon cover for my engine. Just seen a couple on eBay for under £200, one example here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Real-carbon-FIBER-engine-cover-panel-for-Nissan-370Z-Z34-from-09/264962871024?hash=item3db1048ef0:g:boAAAOSwJiBfySEd

Has anyone else bought an eBay ‘special’ carbon cover before that can give me an indication of the quality? I wonder how good they will be given that the EVO R ones and Seibon ones are over £400

Thanks for that, yours looks good quality, did it bolt straight on ok. Do you have details of the seller please? I wonder if they do 370Z ones too!

Think i'll try my luck with one of these then rather than forking out over £400 for Seibon/EVO R

5 hours ago, Bunning said:

Thanks for that, yours looks good quality, did it bolt straight on ok. Do you have details of the seller please? I wonder if they do 370Z ones too!

Think i'll try my luck with one of these then rather than forking out over £400 for Seibon/EVO R

Straight bolt on, excellent fitment and really good quality. Time will tell how it will cope with heat since I have 2 turbines. Good deal for 95 €

IMG_20210201_222024.jpg

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Snjur said:

Straight bolt on, excellent fitment and really good quality. Time will tell how it will cope with heat since I have 2 turbines. Good deal for 95 €

IMG_20210201_222024.jpg

Brilliant thanks for that I’ll check the seller out! 

The red & black engine cover, I carbon skinned myself with carbon fibre fabric. There are companies out there that do it. But I thought I’d have a go myself and I’m pretty pleased with the outcome. :teeth:
I’ll have a go at the interior when I’ve got a bit more time on my hands. I’ve got too many projects on the go for my zed and not enough time, work keeps getting in the way :lol:

On 01/02/2021 at 19:47, Nino said:

Hi, I’ve had a go at carbon skinning my engine cover, I’ve use a red and black honeycomb fibre. They still need a final rub down and then a clear coat.  

D26FD4C3-E111-472F-9070-1F3718B85330.jpeg

0C323273-2086-48AD-8C68-A0B87932C772.jpeg

That looks awesome. Did you post cure it to withstand the temps? 

9 hours ago, P15UL T said:

Hi, no I didn’t post cure it. It’s just a wet lay up and left to cure a room temp. The heat from the engine shouldn’t be excessive enough to cause a problem. 
Fingers crossed

On 02/02/2021 at 23:07, P15UL T said:

That honey comb pattern looks lovely. Please could you post a link where it may be purchased?

I’m sure I read somewhere you used lacquer from Halfords but can’t see that post now.

I’m thinking of having a go myself at some carbon wrapping but before I do I’m trawling the forum for posts, guides links etc and learning by watching YouTube guides.

25 minutes ago, TheOracle71 said:

That honey comb pattern looks lovely. Please could you post a link where it may be purchased?

I’m sure I read somewhere you used lacquer from Halfords but can’t see that post now.

I’m thinking of having a go myself at some carbon wrapping but before I do I’m trawling the forum for posts, guides links etc and learning by watching YouTube guides.

Hi, this is the epoxy resin I used. 
https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/carbon-fibre-skinning-starter-kit

They also have some good videos showing you how to use their product, on the site. 
There are also plenty of YouTube videos on carbon skinning. I’ve not heard of anyone using a lacquer for this. It’s only use would be as a final clear coat.  

The carbon fibre I bought from eBay, but there are loads of places to purchase it from. 

• Like 1