Looking into sports Cats/HFC for an 06 350z

ConnorP

I've been looking into getting some sports or high flow cats for my 350, the stock ones and the start of the Y-pipe/Flexi pipes are a bit battered with all the stupid shaped speed bumps around my way, and I don't fancy paying for the Cobra sport ones to match the back section of my exhaust as they are around £600

My question is does anyone know if the sports cats that are for the 03-06 DE engines will suit the late 06 onwards engines/exhausts? I can't seem to find any that state they are for the Revup engine, or is the DE and Revup engines the same? 

Any information would be great! 

4 hours ago, Jack94 said:

DE and DE rev-up exhausts are the same, the HR is slightly different. 

Perfect! I found a pair of Japspeed ones, so I'm hoping they will work with the system I have, I don't know how far the cobra exhaust goes up on mine now, I just know the manifolds and cats are still OEM, so my thinking is the Japspeed ones should just bolt in, in place of the OEM ones, flanges should be the same on both sides etc! 

32 minutes ago, Jack94 said:

I'd be careful with Japspeed, they're known for their poor quality and fitment. What's your budget? 

Really?, I didn't really have much of a budget idea, just didn't really fancy paying near 600 for the cobra sport ones, the Japspeed ones I found were on Tarmacsportz, I think they were £349

Is there any you would suggest/recommend?

Yep don't think I've ever really heard anybody praise Japspeed stuff, buy cheap buy twice as they say. 

That's fair enough not wanting to pay £600, for around the £400 mark you could go for Tarmacsportz/Torqen own branded HFCs, or there's Berks which are very popular. 

I've had the Torqen ones on my Zed for a couple of years now with no issues, and they were a perfect fitment to my invidia gemini cat-back. 

Edited by Jack94
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jack94 said:

Yep don't think I've ever really heard anybody praise Japspeed stuff, buy cheap buy twice as they say. 

That's fair enough not wanting to pay £600, for around the £400 mark you could go for Tarmacsportz/Torqen own branded HFCs, or there's Berks which are very popular. 

I've had the Torqen ones on my Zed for a couple of years now with no issues, and they were a perfect fitment to my invidia gemini cat-back. 

Oh I didn't realise Tarmacsportz made their own, but for the extra 50 quid I will likely get them! I want to get my wheels sorted first then save up for these sports cats! Thanks Jack for the info and recommendations! As long as the car still Passes MOT in NI it will all be grand! 

Yeah the extra £50 would be well worth it imo. 

Emmisions tests with any HFC can be a bit hit and miss but as long as you get them nice and hot beforehand you should be fine. 

Do you plan on getting the car remapped after fitting? 

1 hour ago, Jack94 said:

Yeah the extra £50 would be well worth it imo. 

Emmisions tests with any HFC can be a bit hit and miss but as long as you get them nice and hot beforehand you should be fine. 

Do you plan on getting the car remapped after fitting? 

yeah i was planning on getting a remap on it afterwards at some point, have you noticed much power gains etc from yours? and does it pop/bang a lot? theres one near mean thats been modded a lot but no idea whats been done but it pops/bangs a bit too much lol, i dont mind it much but it was just constant with this guy 

Good idea, HFCs can cause an EML from the post-cat O2 sensors (because they obviously don't filter as well as OEM cats), so best to get them turned off during the remap. 

I had my cat-back, HFCs & remap all done at the same time so there was a very noticeable power/noise difference :teeth:

Pops & bangs is an optional map that can be put on, I didn't opt for it because it's basically unburnt fuel detonating in the exhaust, which will eventually blow the inside of your cats to pieces. 

21 hours ago, Jack94 said:

Good idea, HFCs can cause an EML from the post-cat O2 sensors (because they obviously don't filter as well as OEM cats), so best to get them turned off during the remap. 

I had my cat-back, HFCs & remap all done at the same time so there was a very noticeable power/noise difference :teeth:

Pops & bangs is an optional map that can be put on, I didn't opt for it because it's basically unburnt fuel detonating in the exhaust, which will eventually blow the inside of your cats to pieces. 

Yeah I definitely want to get it remapped, probably going to do it after the MOT so I don't have to worry about the EML right away, only a few places doing remapping in NI that are any good and it can take a couple weeks to get booked in with them lol,

For me the noise is amazing so far, so hope it doesn't get too much louder, I wouldn't mind the odd pop/bang just downshifting or something but some people about that as soon as the roll off the accelerator and it pops and bangs until the car comes to a stop, that would annoy me after a day or two.