Wim Hof Method ✅

davey_83

Wee bit of an update. 10 months into cold showers and mindful breathing exercises, also for the last 4 weeks I've incorporated intermittent fasting. It's my last health hobby I'm sure...... 😆

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2gh3kMWRjXZz7g34Sj26SMg/change-when-you-eat-not-what-you-eat

The research

The idea that just changing when – and not what you eat – first began with experiments on mice and it’s only in the last couple of years that there have been a growing number of human clinical trials. So far, the results have been astonishing. Dr Emily Manoogian who heads the clinical trials at the Salk Institute in California says they have observed weight loss across the board. One study found an average weight loss of 3.3kg over 3 months, alongside significant improvements in markers of cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

Initially I wanted to give this a try first of all to see if I could do it, then to loose a bit of weight. Working from home is both good and bad however with the fridge is only a few room away one can get carried away. Being able to choose when I have breakfast instead of having to eat prior to leaving for work, meant this was a no brainer.

I as always try to eat no later than 8pm and now stretch out till 10am the next day for breakfast, effectively doing an intermittent fast giving my body a chance to burn fat instead of keeping it topped up. The wife was looking into this and I thought I'd give it a look see, then later saw the BBC article. 

Meant to also help with the vascular system, which is a bonus as CV19 is being thought of now as a vascular disease whereas initially was pinned as a respiratory one.

So back to July and the family had a week away in North Wales. Last year we came across an amazing lake half way up a mountain and thought that be lovely for a swim. Always in the cards for a dip and with the cold training, we had no excuses.

931476212_IMG_20210727_111038460_HDR4.jpg.3421644af982d21db590ac9da2b37b3f.jpg

It's was amazing!! Pool water has chlorine, the sea has salt this was like swimming in Evian. So light and fresh however not as cold as I thought it would be. 

1063193515_IMG_20210727_114723546_HDR4.jpg.7a19946d97c4560b5b616a0a818cdefd.jpg

Nowt to do with WHM but wanted to share a sunset pic from the top of a mountain. Just me and our eldest daughter made the trip up one evening and it was one of the best moments of my life. 

1463358239_IMG_20210725_211939741_HDR3.jpg.881a20ddfa196efcd9f3a6d16347a8d9.jpg

1747285181_IMG_20210725_204233186_HDR3.jpg.ba3ba0660344d2d9b4e906790ad2d57e.jpg

Very fortunate 🙌

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

I've tried intermittent fasting and I'd have to agree. I don't believe that I was burning/using fat for energy.

I got onto the band wagon when someone mentioned they mix keto with intermittent fasting but after my experience, it's just a reduction in calories that leads to weight loss. IF sounds glamorous but the constant hormone and energy imbalance really does make it crap for everyone around you. 

I'd also say that people I've seen do keto or IF (2 very different things) have tended to yo-yo diet more. The one guy I know who's stuck to keto has lost lots of weight and stayed that way for 12 months now, everyone else is no different. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Umster said:

I've tried intermittent fasting and I'd have to agree. I don't believe that I was burning/using fat for energy.

I got onto the band wagon when someone mentioned they mix keto with intermittent fasting but after my experience, it's just a reduction in calories that leads to weight loss. IF sounds glamorous but the constant hormone and energy imbalance really does make it crap for everyone around you. 

I'd also say that people I've seen do keto or IF (2 very different things) have tended to yo-yo diet more. The one guy I know who's stuck to keto has lost lots of weight and stayed that way for 12 months now, everyone else is no different. 

Yeah I've found I can miss a snack. As having breakfast at a regular time previous, come 10am I'd always need toast or something to get through to lunch or at least I thought I did but breakfast at 10 instead meant I'm missing toast and jam. I now get to lunch and find I'm not massively hungry, so only a light lunch needed dinner at a regular time then a little something around 8pm and throughout the day I'm not Marvin like use to be. I'll stick at it as the benefits aren't purely in weight loss from what I gather. 

1087232287_Screenshot_20211024-1955272.png.4729f2a87e533714a91f26d12d4c806a.png

1 hour ago, Kieran O'Quick said:

Man, a beautiful lake like that - have to say I'd sooner fish it than swim it.  Fair play to you, you nutters.

Unreal mate and being a cold junkie I had to get in. Bit unnerving to imagine what if anything could be lurking mind eek

• Like 1

In the end I got back into cold showers and ditched the breathing exercises. Went swimming in the sea in Cornwall in May which was fun :) I do it primarily for the psychological benefits - time will tell if my body actually changes. I did have a skin condition that seems to have cleared up, but I'm not sure if that's down to cold showers or the fact that I hardly ever drink these days.

I've never really been tempted by intermittent fasting. It always seemed to me like a way to trick people into eating less calories rather than something that legitimately burns fat, same as most diet plans. I'm all for people using whatever method works for them to achieve positive goals though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyZ said:

In the end I got back into cold showers and ditched the breathing exercises. Went swimming in the sea in Cornwall in May which was fun :) I do it primarily for the psychological benefits - time will tell if my body actually changes. I did have a skin condition that seems to have cleared up, but I'm not sure if that's down to cold showers or the fact that I hardly ever drink these days.

I've never really been tempted by intermittent fasting. It always seemed to me like a way to trick people into eating less calories rather than something that legitimately burns fat, same as most diet plans. I'm all for people using whatever method works for them to achieve positive goals though.

Nice one with getting back into the cold showers, I bet you found going in the sea easier than ever before. I did as my body was so use to that shock of cold and knows we got this.

I find a cold shower knocks out any aches from the night sleep and gives me that can do attitude, a little win every day routinely telling your body you are the captain of your ship 💪 plus it's good for the vascular system as it simulates all the tiny blood vessels.

I do the breathing after my cold shower, 2 or 3 rounds, getting back up to 4 rounds and to do 3mins without a breath still blows my mind. It's been proven to increase white blood cells which fights infection, lowers inflammation all while kick starting the immune system naturally. I love it as I incorporate prayer at the same time while my mind is clear and not racing about.

42 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Nice one with getting back into the cold showers, I bet you found going in the sea easier than ever before. I did as my body was so use to that shock of cold and knows we got this.

I wasn't actually doing the cold showers at the time, but I was at least prepared for the feeling of cold water on me. I still find it takes my breath away for a few seconds when I get in after taking them every day for a few months, but I just ignore that now. I think I'd find it weird to get in a hot shower now!

2 hours ago, Umster said:

Yeah that's fair, I only did it for the weight loss, wasn't too bothered with the immune system etc. 

Be interested to get your take on it all - what works, what doesn't, why it does, why it doesn't. 

I use to have a mid back ache since working from home, possibly something to do with an office chair on hardwood flooring or my early positioning using a laptop. But the combination of the cold showers and the mindful breathing exercises meant I no longer suffer. The breathing I've found resets my posture which of course is only a good thing.

The brother in law who works for highways had a shoulder problem whereby the consultant had arranged for an operation. He's been doing the cold showers and breath work, more so the breathing from what I gather and some weeks later at a pre op appointment the consultant goes he no longer needs the op. That was start of the year or Spring time and he's been fine since. 

The benefits of a short term induced stresser are worth looking into, it's the long term drawn out stresses that causes health concerns. 

For the first few months my skin would be bright red, which can be a skin of reduced blood flow. However now no sign at all, so even visually I can see change in my physiology. 

What doesn't work..... beating myself up about missing days or going a spell without a cold plunge. Other than that, it's literally all gains for zero outlay.

21 minutes ago, BobbyZ said:

I wasn't actually doing the cold showers at the time, but I was at least prepared for the feeling of cold water on me. I still find it takes my breath away for a few seconds when I get in after taking them every day for a few months, but I just ignore that now. I think I'd find it weird to get in a hot shower now!

Same, even now I still need to give myself a prep talk to step forward into the cold. Of course the cold comes out at a pressure hot can only dream off. With the ground temp falling you can tell majorly as during the summer it was so refreshing and now its alot colder.

I bought into the WHM intially because of him, he can do what no one else can do 20+ world records for extreme challenges and training SAS soldiers is no joke in terms of credentials. 

Yes I'm a fan 🖐️

• Like 1

It came in handy showering outside directly from the overhead tap after Quad Biking in miles of muddy forests. Very refreshing and all my clothes dried in time for the pick up. 

Okay okay its not the same when you cold shower in 40 degrees and the water is just shy of 20 degrees. Was better than sitting in mud for 2 hours until out bus arrived to take us back to the hotel. 

Can see the benefits but the short term suffering and borderline hypothermia is probably a no go for many. Here in UK the water will be sub 10 during winter which is the target temp for this im guessing.

Nice one pal, I'd have opt'd for an outdoor shower also. It's literally suffering in your mind, I've had hundreds of cold showers and been fine. It's just that initially default setting of omg this is cold, then you're good.

939939900_IMG_20210107_131649541_HDR2.jpg.6ee625bb4f7cde7fe3f322a98c90c2d5.jpg

Last Winter I quickly rigged up an outdoor shower. It's was -2° outside maybe a tad colder and the water temp felt a touch warmer than ambient which was the strangest experience. But in the sun the charge you felt after.

Anyone remember this dude 😄

MV5BY2RlYjVjYTEtYjVhOS00MjgxLWJlNmMtMmNiYWJjODYxMTAwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDc2NTEzMw@@._V1_.jpg.cec693ae72d9cf6abcc600bde3f4c092.jpg

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This week concludes 12 months of me doing the Wim Hof Method. Looking back at the calendar those early days of barely lasting 30 seconds in the cold shower and creeping up day by day were so exciting. Pushing myself further into the unknown and seeing if I had what it takes. Ice baths, open water swimming, mindful breathing exercises 3mins+ with no air in lungs *stress

Every day I get a little win, as it still takes a pep talk to step forward into the cold shower. Over the last 12 months I've also read up about the benefits of a short term discomfort or stress. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5964013/

1983782006_Screenshot_20211210-0919542.png.f488f438a611d3da6135682e3fd3801f.png

Our brother who is on and off fairly sick, 3 cats and having 3 kids in school is no wonder as probably doesn't suit his particular immune system. However has taken up cold showers for the last couple of months and goes he definitely feels the benefits already and reckons he'll keep it up.

I'm still partial to a bit of heat every now and again mind. Would highly recommend the WIM to anyone, even just the mindful breathing exercises as what better time to naturally boost ones mood and immune system. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's changed my life, however definitely something il look to do for the rest of it. It's completely changed my relationship with the cold and living in England that's no bad thing. When I feel my mind racing away or that my posture isn't ideal, a round of the breathing be it at home or on the move really helps reset my thinking. While doing anything that requires more muscle usage than normal, I'd not tend to over breathe flooding my muscles with oxygen rich blood ahead of the drain *Wim Hof tip.

Have a great Xmas all and remember who's birthday you're celebrating 😉

1671208160_IMG_20211113_153441865_HDR3.jpg.a79a002a1e3fe8ca2b2a4434d4bd4043.jpg

Edited by davey_83

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My era when I played tennis was Pete Sampras and had no idea the achievements of Djokovic been mentioned as very possible the G.O.A.T 

This respect and shared mindset between these two now doesn't surprise me at all, worth a look 👍 

Incredibly brave dude

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

Wim Hof on BBC

Just saw an advert for this as I was waiting for The Great British Menu to start. TBH I only looked up from my phone as I spotted Holly Willoughby 😍

Nice one fella, naturally I've been eagerly awaiting this to air - think it'll really bring the idea of discomfort benefit out to the public.

Been a good while since updating the thread. Few walks already around our local reservoir, spotted a decent point of entry to the brook nearby where it looked deep enough for a dip.

- Girls, daddies going for a dip.

- yeahhh, can we come? 

received_681435856213788.jpeg.243e228f488da92d507e2203b7f3789c.jpeg

received_477500647203105.jpeg.1c7a8be51db571261e46fa46abc0f1ae.jpeg

Horse dance afterwards in the sun

received_378961803633232.jpeg.2903db9e140576787a37dae2b0110c2b.jpeg

*End of Feb this was. This part of the brook had rushing water as it's recently just dropped down a few levels at this point. Literally wasn't bad at all, 6.5/10 on the terrible meter.

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1