Wim Hof Method ✅

davey_83

Came across this wacky fella on a popular intellectual podcast and found it fascinating & beyond relevant in the current times. I've been doing the WHM for just over 6 weeks now and wanted to share for anyone that's not come by this as yet. The benefits are meant to be pretty amazing.

Who is Wim Hof? 

Wim Hof (born 20 April 1959), also known as The Iceman, is a Dutch extreme athlete noted for his ability to withstand freezing temperatures. He has set Guinness World Records for swimming under ice and prolonged full-body contact with ice, and still holds the record for a barefoot half marathon on ice and snow.

26 world records

In all, he has claimed 26 world records for his various feats, including the Guinness World Record for longest ice bath (1 hour, 52 minutes and 42 seconds), enabling him to rightfully be called “the Iceman.” But that's not enough for him. He wants more. He wants to change the world.

3 Nov 2017

Read that some Navy Seals also have been via the Wim Hof Method.

https://www.wimhofmethod.com/instructors/erroldoebler-1

I figured this guys credentials are bang on, however of course still wanted to try them out myself before reaching a conclusion. I'm always dubious of 'mind over matter' and the placebo effect.

Since doing the WHM found almost straight away I'm less hungry between breakfast and lunch. Normally after breakfast and around 10-10:30 I'd always need some toast or crumpets to get me through till lunch. Working from home it was a mix of convenience, boredom and habit. On the third day I thought I really don't feel hungry, so let's hold out till lunch and I've done the same ever since. Actually came across the metabolic rate studies after experiencing it first hand and I'm normally always hungry.

I've data logged my cold showers every day, starting off at 30 seconds and gradually going up to over 4 minutes.

936209805_IMG_20210115_1114160882.jpg.faa4c9fd810de72ec72a411a36ab75c5.jpg

1882650265_IMG_20210121_1249593502.jpg.64bd448b38db6a55785e42b58bfd846c.jpg

2115412194_Screenshot_20201228-0956022.png.485beea83c7b8a95b758470e34c512d6.png

1308136971_Screenshot_20201221-0840192.png.b4cf578580df1cefdf0ad37da46d2e07.png

2097570246_Screenshot_20201221-0840042.png.459b09456b59fdb402f5106976250f3b.png

1236638365_Screenshot_20210111-0932562.png.6fec8ed54c666344f865298e4541581c.png

What I can say is I'm doing it and it works for me. Improved mood, less back ache, more focus, less need/want to snack out, sense of achievement also. 

- Cold showers indoors

- Cold shower outside on the patio *thankfully garden not over looked lol

- Cold bath indoors and out

- 4mins ice bath outside

- Breath held for 4mins which I think is mind blowing.

Our recycling wheelie bin served an extra purpose in freezing my butt. Thoroughly scrubbed and rinsed out and boiled twice for good measure.

IMG_20210114_074644388.jpg.d62e41d421913437a6e3920505cfbb82.jpg

His claims have been scientifically proven and repeated in an controlled environment. 

https://scienceofparkinsons.com/2020/02/06/wim-hof/

In this study, the researchers collected blood from Wim Hof before and after an 80 minute full-body ice immersion session, and they exposed those blood cells in cell culture to a bacterial endotoxin (called lipopolysaccharide or LPS) which elicits as strong inflammatory response from the body.

In this endotoxin experiment, the researchers compared the results of Wim’s blood cells with blood samples collected from a comparison group of 112 individuals. They found that Wim’s results were very different to all of the comparison group results. His blood cells displayed a much reduced pro-inflammatory response and increased anti-inflammatory signal.

The researchers concluded that the Wim Hof method “seems to evoke a controlled stress response“.

- What better time in our lives than to boost our immune system *naturally.

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stutopia said:

I can’t believe you’re bonkers enough to try this, big respect for being in that cold for minutes on end. If I do it for 5 seconds in the shower I’m a wreck.

Cheers pal, started off in the shower one arm at a time. Then tried a wet soapy flannel over me to get use to what's coming - now can just go straight in after a firm pep talk :lol:

2 hours ago, ShortPaul said:

Did you get spotted by any of your neighbours :) look to forwards to hearing there comments if you were spotted you mad man

No, thankfully our patio isn't overlooked - phew 

1 hour ago, BobbyZ said:

Thanks for posting. I've watched a couple of his YT vids, mainly because I find him quite entertaining but also because the whole WH method thing is very interesting. I might have to give it a go soon :)

I can highly recommend it.

I use to watch alot of UFC and didn't understand why when arriving into NY or Vegas the fighter would take a ice bath or go in a cold pool. I got after a fight to help with healing, that made sense but not before. A cold bath gets your blood pumping better and makes you feel charged up. The body also need to make heat and FAST!!! so burns fat to keep your core warm, I guess helping also with the weight cut.

Even the breathing exercises makes you feel really calm present in that moment, rather than thinking about what you did yesterday or what you need to do tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Kieran O'Quick said:

Bet you've scared the crap out of the postman in there Oscar.. 

Do you build up exercising in the cold then once you've more tolerance? I'm sure that crazy Russian kettle-bell guy recommends it..

No, just strip off in the conservatory which is chilly first thing trunks on and get in. Doing the deep breathing exercises prior and then while getting in too.

Absolutely clears your mind I can say that much HAHA 

This evening filled a fresh one ready for the morning :surrender:

1325155925_IMG_20210121_1734322502.jpg.060e11b4d3f7b67818cece08ce70bfee.jpg

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Cheers pal, started off in the shower one arm at a time. Then tried a wet soapy flannel over me to get use to what's coming - now can just go straight in after a firm pep talk :lol:

No, thankfully our patio isn't overlooked - phew 

I can highly recommend it.

I use to watch alot of UFC and didn't understand why when arriving into NY or Vegas the fighter would take a ice bath or go in a cold pool. I got after a fight to help with healing, that made sense but not before. A cold bath gets your blood pumping better and makes you feel charged up. The body also need to make heat and FAST!!! so burns fat to keep your core warm, I guess helping also with the weight cut.

Even the breathing exercises makes you feel really calm present in that moment, rather than thinking about what you did yesterday or what you need to do tomorrow.

No, just strip off in the conservatory which is chilly first thing trunks on and get in. Doing the deep breathing exercises prior and then while getting in too.

Absolutely clears your mind I can say that much HAHA 

This evening filled a fresh one ready for the morning :surrender:

1325155925_IMG_20210121_1734322502.jpg.060e11b4d3f7b67818cece08ce70bfee.jpg

May be snow foam lance treatment prior to getting in the wheelie bin 

• Haha 1

Congrats, you're doing really good stuff, a good start into biohacking.

I've been doing this for years, I now do 90C sauna and followed by proper cold show outside in the garden, using the garden hose :lol:  My neighbours must be thinking either we're poor and can't afford a shower cabin / gas bill for hot water or we're in a sect or something, the whole family does it most of times :lol: 

Look seriously into biohacking, some names for you here, there's more than just cold / ice showers:

David Sinclair

Rhonda Patrick

Valter Longo

Dave Asprey

Aubrey de Grey

Tim Ferris

Paul Stamets

• Thanks 1

On 22/01/2021 at 19:27, davey_83 said:

How long have you been doing it and how did you come across biohacking? 

Around 2-3 years now into biohacking. Intermittent fasting every day with one meal a day, so 23-24 hrs between meals, daily sauna, exercise, cold showers, a huge list of supplements and vitamins that I keep refining as I study and research into it, daily meditation and generally on a keto diet. Doing a prolonged fasting at least once a month, 5 days water and coffee only. Doing one as we speak, 2nd day into it. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Adrian@TORQEN said:

Around 2-3 years now into biohacking. Intermittent fasting every day with one meal a day, so 23-24 hrs between meals, daily sauna, exercise, cold showers, a huge list of supplements and vitamins that I keep refining as I study and research into it, daily meditation and generally on a keto diet. Doing a prolonged fasting at least once a month, 5 days water and coffee only. Doing one as we speak, 2nd day into it. 

I knew I had seen you somewhere before 

Was it universal soldier :lol:

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Isnt it a modern variation of yogic breathing which has been around for thousands of years? Similarly the reptilian brain isn't a new concept

I think youtube has popularised many things through different figureheads (Sadguru, Wif Hoff etc) that have their roots way back in human history

• Like 2

Yeah no doubt various breathing techniques have been around since day one. Difference is WH has showed the benefits with the science along with 26 world records for extreme cold and mental endurance. 

https://medium.com/microbial-instincts/decoding-the-icemans-immune-system-cec2f699dbd

The present study demonstrates that…immune system can indeed be voluntarily influenced. Healthy volunteers practicing the learned techniques exhibited profound increases in the release of epinephrine, which in turn led to increased production of anti-inflammatory mediators and subsequent dampening of the proinflammatory cytokine response elicited by intravenous administration of bacterial endotoxin.

What better time in history to scientifically be able to boost ones immune system naturally 👌

1981963533_Screenshot_20210311-215718-1752.png.e801401902bd40e8eeab7ca965da7c79.png

IMG_20210211_125603694_HDR.jpg.11000955b41bd0af8788a7c6cc648d15.jpg

• Like 2

Fair play. There always is that element of being in the right place at the right time. Take this guy and compare it to the many places in London where I can find guys of a similar skill set

Hope this doesnt come across as a douchey lol Keep doing what your happy with !

2lsral.jpg

Interesting stuff. Have done ice baths before after running marathons and found my knees and quad muscles ached a lot less the next day. Never thought about doing it as a daily thing though.   

Might have to give it a go if it cuts down on the morning hunger pangs. Put on far to much weight over the last 12 months that I need to start shifting in anticipation that we'll be allowed this summer. 

• Like 1

I did give this a go as I said I would. The breathing I have found very helpful both first thing in the morning for waking up my brain and getting me ready for the day, and before sleeping to clear my head and relieve stress.

I'm still not sure about the cold showers. I did them for a couple of weeks, and the only change I really noticed was that I got better at dealing with cold showers after the first couple of goes. It did make me feel slightly more refreshed straight after the shower, but I'm not sure if it was enough to offset the unpleasantness of standing under a cold shower. I'll probably give it another go soon and try to do it for a month or so, but so far I'm not sold. I should mention that I am most definitely not a morning person which I don't think helps, because freezing my nuts off first thing in the morning in the shower is not a good incentive for me to get out of bed.

Edited by BobbyZ
  • Like 1

Nice one pal, great that you have it a go in the cold showers. I have to little ones so getting up and ready early doors helps juggle the circus!! I felt that the cold showers help knock out any aches and pain I have when waking up also and make me less hungry throughout the morning - which after Xmas was worth it alone. The benefits to immune of course can't been seen or felt at a glance.

My routine is 3 mins countdown, first minute to rinse off and acclimatise, sud up for another minute or so then the last minute rinse of saying the Lord's prayer and for me I'm almost embassed to say that I can drift off when praying into other thoughts. Yet when said in the cold shower, because the cold is all consuming each and every word is the sole focus of my mind which I really like.

How long do you manage with the breathing? 

Edited by davey_83

For the breathing I'm doing 3 rounds of 30-35 breaths, with around 1-2 minutes* holding in between. I actually stopped bothering to time it after the first few times to focus on the relaxation element, so I might be managing longer now.

*it seemed to fluctuate randomly.

Edited by BobbyZ
  • Like 1

That's really good. I've found that also, on a empty stomach I find I can hold my breath longer. I guess the digestion take up a fair amount of juice.

I do this one most days and regularly reach 3mins, 3:05 on the forth round and a few times right the way through till the end meaning 4mins breath held. I've found it works best for me start after the shower in the morning. 

Very interesting stuff.

I've been doing Kung Fu for over 20 years and teaching for over 12 years.

We teach Qi Gong (Chi Kung) as part of our curriculum, while you can just copy the movements and look lovely, the real root is in the breathe and focus, in conjunction with the movements.

Lots of what we do is also similar to Yoga, postures, stretching etc..

Controlling your breathing is vital for many aspects of kung fu and this reaches into the spiritual elements, meditation, visualisation, and clarity, which is easily compared to mindfulness. 

Maybe look at some Yoga or Qi Gong as well, even just Qi Gong breathing, reverse and normal, it looks like there is a similarity between them and WHM.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Update for the thread - Continued with the WHM, been 7 months and had a cold shower practically every day bar maybe 3/4 mornings. Mindful breathing exercises I've done most days, routinely able to hold my breath for 3mins stimulating the innate immune response sort of like a cache cleaner that actually works. In April the family went to Padstow in Cornwall and managed to have a week with amazing weather. The very next week was rain most days which meant we were incredibly lucky as the site didn't have a club house and even if they did, it wouldn't be open anyway. 

As normal brought my wetsuit but didn't need it. Days that we went to the beach I spent a couple hours in the sea no problem. Bearing in mind it was still only April and everyone else wore wetsuit, but not the little hoffer. To describe, its like machine learning whereby I've had so many occasions of cold training that my nervous system recognises the cold shock and defaults to "I'm good". Anyone who's worn a wetsuit knows the difference between wearing one and not, well it sort of felt like I was wearing a wetsuit. Even the wind when I came out the sea wasn't a concern. 

Had a cold shower in the static caravan every morning, and the force of the cold water was what I can only align to that of crowd control.

This week with the kids being off and weather getting back to summer, we put the pool up in the garden and yep you've guessed it - alot more enjoyable having the underlying knowledge that I've had much colder and been fine.

114425618_received_2090766676008722.jpeg.62a9cd49120e733dcd206827fad1f723.jpeg

1930886465_received_3930387819614412.jpeg.7a2db2adbb8b10a413c70345e0d90745.jpeg

Screenshot_20210606-161326-768.png.05ea7b8ba73036a5e3f3bd0171618b4c.png

989419641_IMG_20210601_125231623_HDR2.jpg.ddd939870776c037ef3dde0a1dc60ae6.jpg

The cold is like a mirror to your physiology, how well can you system copes with stress and illness (related) in terms of speedy recovery. 

• 1 month later...