Ev batteries is this finally the turning point?

stanski

This sounds promising on the EV battery front?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/19/electric-car-batteries-race-ahead-with-five-minute-charging-times

Of course the expensive top end cars will no doubt get this first and by 2035 I expect cheaper cars like the Zoe will too but lets see?

Although I do think there is a touch of showmanship going on to grab headlines and get investors?

There’s some serious backers who have invested. Sounds promising.

However, I’m that guy (especially on this topic), so the most telling sentence in that whole article is “StoreDot is aiming to deliver 100 miles of range of charge to a car battery in fives minutes in 2025”.

Specifically “aiming”.

Sounds like they’re got some interesting tech that could, potentially, be a game changer for EV’s in the longer term (100 mile range still isn’t great after all) if they can pull it off, but that is currently still a rather large ‘if’.

If nothing else there seems to be serious investment now and eventually someone will get that breakthrough but cost and ease of manufacturing will be the turning point.

Let's see hopefully by the time I retire :lol: but then I won't be able to afford EV unless they do cheap motors and battery kits for my old Beetle. 

On 20/01/2021 at 09:38, stanski said:

If nothing else there seems to be serious investment now and eventually someone will get that breakthrough but cost and ease of manufacturing will be the turning point.

Let's see hopefully by the time I retire :lol: but then I won't be able to afford EV unless they do cheap motors and battery kits for my old Beetle. 

They already do by then it may be slightly cheaper to convert but not much. Say £12,000 in 2020. Maybe £8000 by 2035 when the competition is live. I cant see it ever being cheap

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Sad 1

On 19/01/2021 at 11:54, stanski said:

Although I do think there is a touch of showmanship going on to grab headlines and get investors?

If I had a £ for every "new" battery story I've seen.....

Much more relevant, my mother in law just got hold of an Mini E for the equivalent new cash price of £25k.....That's the mid spec version. 

Who would have thought Mini now under cuts Hyundai/Kia interms of EV pricing!!

50862014376_d33b65af4e_c_d.jpg

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

Cash, most people aren't buying cash but pcp, hp, lease or contract hire. I agree that theyll come down. My mum paid £37000 for her Kia on Pcp. Shes had some issues that Kia need to look at. Shocking after sales too.

While its cleaner she knows my v6 gas guzzler can be driven over 4 years and still not cost £37,000 even if i paid cash at 20k. Okay i recognize the flaw here unless you were buying ev cash...break even is still years ahead vs the equivalent petrol and the gap will decrease. But tbh if youre willing to pay £72k why should it get cheaper

My brother has a 2000 1 liter toyota iQ/aygo and pays £0 road tax.Petrol £10 per week..insurance is £300.cost £1500....

Who stands to gain since electric vehicles have existed since Nazi Germany with Porsche etc

We are just waiting for the government to really start clawing back money. Once the VED hit is apparent. The incentives keep the motor trade alive and please the Greta gang aiming for zero emissions. Govt get to tick boxes in a Paris agreement and Euro document while cashing on ancient cars. Just not pure classics. We know who drives the majority of those.

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1