Supercharger upgrade

secretstar07979

Hello

A bit of advice needed please 

I am running the GTM 1.5 supercharger set up.  With a smaller pulley the last dyno was 491bhp. My question is what options do I have for more power? I don't really want to go down the TT route due to the expense. I was thinking a larger supercharger.  Due to the current set up would it be a case of installing a larger supercharger capable of creating more boost? Or will I need to start from scratch with a new set up? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, secretstar07979 said:

Hello

A bit of advice needed please 

I am running the GTM 1.5 supercharger set up.  With a smaller pulley the last dyno was 491bhp. My question is what options do I have for more power? I don't really want to go down the TT route due to the expense. I was thinking a larger supercharger.  Due to the current set up would it be a case of installing a larger supercharger capable of creating more boost? Or will I need to start from scratch with a new set up? 

You can probably pick up a bit more boost from filter/pulley set ups 

Theres a new kit coming soon that will make 17/18 psi out the box no upgrades needed 

Details will come once others have hit the market tho 

Jezz tunes yours doesn't he ? 

He'll have some ideas 

Out of interest what are you trying to hit 490 is a pretty  quick car on uk roads 

Edited by nissanman312
  • Like 1

Not 100% up to speed on 370z things but can you check to see what AIT (air intake temps) see if you can lower them with larger piping and bigger intercooler?

What crank pulley does it have? I know with my 350z vortech setup increasing the size of the crank pulley slightly with a GOOD dampened one like fluidamper or ATI? will spin the blower faster without increasing belt slip much, 

Even smaller pulley but more ribs (new pulleys throught needed).

Larger supercharger would be probably easiest  Rotrex I think is the brand of charger the kit uses, so go next size up and obviously check clearances for fit. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately a larger Rotrex unit will not fit into the housing on our right hand drive cars due to the usual steering column issues.

Jackson Racing in conjunction with Rotrex had been working on a new high output C38R unit which is the same size but I’ve not seen one yet.

Edited by andy james
Bloody predictive txt

21 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

can the engine safely handle anything over 500bhp stock?

Thats my concern on chasing more than that.

The problem is people see usa numbers and feel robbed in the UK 

I am  starting to look for a spare engine to forge over time before I push for more than my 485

Its one thing making those numbers on the dyno 

And another having a reliable set up you can drive hard and feel confident its not going to let go six months later 

Edited by nissanman312
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

Thats my concern on chasing more than that.

The problem is people see usa numbers and feel robbed in the UK 

Easy access to E85 will be why. Over here you'd either need to run race fuel or methanol injection to hit the same power without detonation blowing it.

... or lower compression via forged pistons of course. Limit after that would likely be around 700whp on 97-99RON fuel from what I've seen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, msitpro said:

Easy access to E85 will be why. Over here you'd either need to run race fuel or methanol injection to hit the same power without detonation blowing it.

... or lower compression via forged pistons of course. Limit after that would likely be around 700whp on 97-99RON fuel from what I've seen.

Yeah thats the plan if I build a engine 

Its not that I'm necessarily chasing the numbers because I'm not 

But it would be nice while running FI that the engine had been built to take it :lol:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

600-900 hp sounds great in a videogame. Putting the power down on slick soft UK roads depends. 

How much would it cost to forge an engine?

I agree mines a tad under 500 and it just about feels like you can realy use it all any more power or tourqe for that matter and you would be managing the throttle constantly 

Built engine properly...10/12k

• Like 1

I've got to agree with most of whats written above.

E85 with FI gives an extra 100hp on whats basically the same set-up (maybe bar injector change).

Yes, US sites have lots of guys with higher figure but you also see lots of pictures of people with holed cases and destroyed rods and pistons on US sites ;)

Personally I find circa 420WHP plenty for the road in a rwd car and I find 4wd a bit boring tbh by comparison.

Stay safe, hopefully we'll get a meet soon and I can bring my new NA VQ motor out for a run :thumbs: