Main stone chip areas ?

Slowmo

Hi , what are the main areas of the 350 which pick up paint damage from stone chipping?

I'm interested in getting PPF and the company says they just have online temples for the following areas of the vehicle .

The front 2 foot of the bonnet, full bumper, front area of the wings, headlights and wing mirrors.

Does that sound about right ? 

Also anyone have any long term feedback on if the PPF was worth it ? 

The protective film works very well on the front of our cars, i had it fitted when i first bought my 370 ten years ago now and there are no chips to the front of the car at all, you can see some slight marks on the film from small stones making contact but the paint underneath is still perfect.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Those areas are terrible for stone chips I can confirm, not so much the mirrors I've found. Worth checking if the PPF templates are for a early or facelift model, as the bumpers are slightly different.

Thanks , should be right , I told them the year of car and was quoted £400 plus vat . £1200 for full car ( roadster )

I will probably do it , as car is spotless currently. 

View it a better investment than exhaust systems , body kits etc as currently all original .

8 hours ago, Kev T said:

The protective film works very well on the front of our cars, i had it fitted when i first bought my 370 ten years ago now and there are no chips to the front of the car at all, you can see some slight marks on the film from small stones making contact but the paint underneath is still perfect.

Thanks for the feedback ,sounds like it does the job then . 

After 10 years can you see the edges of the film , any discoloration at all ?

The supplier uses llumar hydrophobic film which was introduced in 2017 I believe and has good reviews.

11 hours ago, Slowmo said:

Hi , what are the main areas of the 350 which pick up paint damage from stone chipping?

I'm interested in getting PPF and the company says they just have online temples for the following areas of the vehicle .

The front 2 foot of the bonnet, full bumper, front area of the wings, headlights and wing mirrors.

Does that sound about right ? 

Also anyone have any long term feedback on if the PPF was worth it ? 

As others said they are the main areas, also the bottom area of the front of the rear quarters where they meet the side skirts. Most cars have a piece of PPF on this part already. 

I would say having only half the bonnet and front wings done doesn't look great. Is worth going to a place that can do full frontal. So the whole bonnet and wings. Usually for a standard full frontal would be around £1200 plus VAT from a reputable company. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lewis Schwier said:

As others said they are the main areas, also the bottom area of the front of the rear quarters where they meet the side skirts. Most cars have a piece of PPF on this part already. 

I would say having only half the bonnet and front wings done doesn't look great. Is worth going to a place that can do full frontal. So the whole bonnet and wings. Usually for a standard full frontal would be around £1200 plus VAT from a reputable company. 

They can do all of the car , but just these areas are on some system they use as templates . The other areas would need to be cut on the vehicle. 

I did ask if you would see the half done bonnet and they said if its a white car you can , black / blue no .

I'm new to this so all info is appreciated

5 hours ago, Slowmo said:

Have you heard anything regarding the Llumar brand 

If its done properly then you shouldn't but dirt can still build up against the edge and it become more visible overtime. A lot easier to catch with things when washing too. 

There are 3 main brands that people use in the UK. Xpel, Suntek & Llumar. 

All are very good films. The advantage with Xpel it has the biggest database of designs by a long mile. Suntek is actually a sister company of Llumar's. (Use the same film) Some people will say the Llumar film has better clarity (less orange peel) others would say Xpel is thicker and has better longevity. Like I said they are all good films and similar priced. 

Good write up here. 

https://exclusivepaintprotection.com/learn/best-paint-protection-film

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/01/2021 at 18:05, Slowmo said:

Thanks , should be right , I told them the year of car and was quoted £400 plus vat . £1200 for full car ( roadster )

I will probably do it , as car is spotless currently. 

View it a better investment than exhaust systems , body kits etc as currently all original .

Thats very cheap. Topaz in Wembley apparently charges £1500. Where did you go because I need to respray my grey part on front bumper then put it on

8 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Thats very cheap. Topaz in Wembley apparently charges £1500. Where did you go because I need to respray my grey part on front bumper then put it on

I haven't had the PPF yet as they are closed in lockdown . They are a small family business in North Devon

https://tintingexpress.co.uk/paint-protection-film-ppf/