What next after Mustang?

marzman

On 01/01/2021 at 11:18, The G Man said:

Keep yer Stang, they are mightily fun, even on the narrowest of roads, Christ we even went up Glen Etive in September in ours :lol:

Ive only did @ 2k Miles the whole of last year in it, obviously Covid restrictions didn’t help with planned Euro trips :blink:.

Yesterday, I just sat in it on the drive and ran it up to temp to defrost, started fannying aboot wi the active exhaust and the Lund N gauge and nearly killed the car :lol:   Luckily I managed to revert it back to the tune, despite my big fat goldfinger :teeth:

Im considering one of these as a ‘back up’ fun car, don’t know if it’s on your radar, https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012227321289?postcode=ml92ap&model=124 SPIDER&sort=relevance&include-delivery-option=on&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&make=FIAT&radius=1501&page=1

that exact one in fact.

Ill keep the Stang till it’s a pile of dust on the drive, being a Ford, that’ll probably not be long :lol:  Owes me nowt, but the adventures we’ve been on in it have been marvellous and it still gives me a nice, comforting feeling when I ‘slip it on’.

Actually i really like the Abarth124's, but they're still a bit rich for what they are imho... i'd have one if they were a bit cheaper though, so maybe in a few years. :thumbs:

16 hours ago, Ekona said:

M4 not on the list? I hate the way they drive, but gotta be worth considering in CS format at a least. 

Nah, I don't like performance BMW's... performance-wise they're fantastic obviously but they just look to ordinary.

5 hours ago, Stutopia said:

Easy. 981 Cayman GTS.

Yeah, i saw you'd got one Stu... very nice.  B)

Chris! You have to keep the Stang it's such a good all terrain vehicle especially this time of year. :lol:

I actually managed to get mine off the drive on those crappy Pzeros without slippage! Just to put things into context, I have a concrete pattern imprinted drive on a slight incline. The drive of death I call it, even the VW T5 which has winter commercial tyres struggles. 

Just get an Mx5 cheap and fun. 

IMG_20201231_100105842_HDR~3.jpg

Edited by stanski
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, marzman said:

Actually i really like the Abarth124's, but they're still a bit rich for what they are imho... i'd have one if they were a bit cheaper though, so maybe in a few years. :thumbs:

Nah, I don't like performance BMW's... performance-wise they're fantastic obviously but they just look to ordinary.

Yeah, i saw you'd got one Stu... very nice.  B)

After several Zed's I decided to try something different for a while and currently have an Abarth 124. Far more fun than I expected it to be and a really addictive drive. My son commented that out of all the great cars I have owned in the last few years (Zed's included), this is the one that I drive for the heck of it more than any other. MX5 felt a little to dainty for me but the Abarth is a bit of a hooligan.

8 hours ago, Stutopia said:

Easy. 981 Cayman GTS.

Will these drop significantly given the 718 GTS  4.0 is now out?

Call me ignorant, but from a visual perspective does any one feel that there are better options out there for the price? (late £40ks)

here is a recent article mind 

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-spottedykywt/porsche-cayman-gts-981--spotted/43511

like the stang maybe a bit on the large size again and there's far fewer of them around -
2019 Camaro from Australia.
Australia because it got factory RHD done there by HSV.
6.2 NA or SC

A classic is a winner for sure for beating boredom that for me no modern car can compete with. 70's camaro's are also an option there.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2021 at 18:23, hmale4yu said:

Will these drop significantly given the 718 GTS  4.0 is now out?

Call me ignorant, but from a visual perspective does any one feel that there are better options out there for the price? (late £40ks)

here is a recent article mind 

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-spottedykywt/porsche-cayman-gts-981--spotted/43511

Been keeping an eye on values for the past couple of years, I think the 981 (particularly GTS) is just so good it wont lose much, if anything. I think GT4s will suffer a bit as they were always a little artificially high priced and the 718 has sorted the gear length thing but low mileage GTS Caymans (and Boxsters, theres only 170 of them or something stupid) wont ever lose and will start climbing again fairly soon. 

The car in the link supports it (I wrote the post first!), that car is 6 years old and about the same as it sold for new. 

Edited by docwra

6 hours ago, docwra said:

Been keeping an eye on values for the past couple of years, I think the 981 (particularly GTS) is just so good it wont lose much, if anything. I think GT4s will suffer a bit as they were always a little artificially high priced and the 718 has sorted the gear length thing but low mileage GTS Caymans (and Boxsters, theres only 170 of them or something stupid) wont ever lose and will start climbing again fairly soon. 

The car in the link supports it (I wrote the post first!), that car is 6 years old and about the same as it sold for new. 

Agree. Lost about 7-8k on mine in a year. However I expect them to settle and or pick back up over the next few years. The 718 just doesn't compare in terms of noise and theatre and wasn't limited run. But I didn't buy it as an investment as they never will be! 

If I was looking for something other than a GT4 id be all over the GTS if that is doable OP? 

Edited by WINKJ

3 hours ago, WINKJ said:

Agree. Lost about 7-8k on mine in a year. However I expect them to settle and or pick back up over the next few years. The 718 just doesn't compare in terms of noise and theatre and wasn't limited run. But I didn't buy it as an investment as they never will be! 

If I was looking for something other than a GT4 id be all over the GTS if that is doable OP? 

Being depreciation-proof is tempting, but i'm ideally looking for a daily whilst keeping the Mustang, hence being interested in the 2.7 non-S i reckon.

• 2 months later...

I've been on Autotrader/eBay literally every day since Christmas trying to work out what i want.

I can't stop flip flopping between options, but i feel like i'm getting closer to a decision!

I have £10k to spend, plus the value of my Mustang (£31-32k) if i decide to get rid.  Or I dont mind borrowing a bit more if needs be.

My dream car is a Mercedes AMG GT.  These start at £52k, so are within reach, but it doesnt satisfy my needs.  I want a nice, easy to drive daily - my current front runners are a C250d C-Class or a current shape Audi TT - both are approx. £13k for the spec i'm after.  But i also keep coming back to 4x4's.  I've had 2x first gen Range Rover Sports which i loved, but they were really unreliable - i'd love a new shape one but expect they'd be equally as crap to maintain.  X5 or F-Pace is an option here.

Beyond that - I definitely want a special car for the odd weekend trip out.  A classic Mustang is the front runner here... but a heavily modified Jeep Wrangler is also high on the list (I want both!!)  Or a caterham-style car of some sort.  Or TVR.

But with almost all of those options, it means my Mustang has to go. :blink:  It hurts because it's lovely to look at and gets an unbelievable amount of (positive) attention... i just don't love it.

Below are some of the cars i'm strongly considering:

61218982_s-l1600(2).jpg.1e0f6db6c5684f76d1838928ae599125.jpg476829857_s-l1600(1).jpg.02f75173bf5fedfe06758c10a470aec7.jpgafd8c7e311ce432a8819ac846003d98b.jpg.ad68d01140ddf7d1f88fe8d50bd9eecc.jpgs-l1600.jpg.4f3d685295d7491a315fc37f067f8bba.jpg

47 minutes ago, marzman said:

... but a heavily modified Jeep Wrangler is also high on the list

Don't do it, I ended up hating my Jeep, yeah ok they are good off road, but the seats are bad/driving position is bad, gave me a bad back after 1 hour. the roof panels will leak and it will be full of water, the rear canopy is effing heavy and is a faff to get on/off. Driving in high winds the bonnet will be flapping and flexing.... you will think its going to fly open any second. Also the rear diffs are prone to seizing. And lets not forget about the "Death Wobble" 😂

Unless you are going to do lots of off-roading I would steer clear. 

Edited by DoogyRev

50 minutes ago, DoogyRev said:

Don't do it, I ended up hating my Jeep, yeah ok they are good off road, but the seats are bad/driving position is bad, gave me a bad back after 1 hour. the roof panels will leak and it will be full of water, the rear canopy is effing heavy and is a faff to get on/off. Driving in high winds the bonnet will be flapping and flexing.... you will think its going to fly open any second. Also the rear diffs are prone to seizing. And lets not forget about the "Death Wobble" 😂

Unless you are going to do lots of off-roading I would steer clear. 

Thats great insight, cheers Jim.  To be fair i only do about 8k miles a year most of which would be in the daily, so only 2-3k in either the Jeep or Stang, so it's nice to have something different/agricultural for special occasions. :lol:

51 minutes ago, marzman said:

Thats great insight, cheers Jim.  To be fair i only do about 8k miles a year most of which would be in the daily, so only 2-3k in either the Jeep or Stang, so it's nice to have something different/agricultural for special occasions. :lol:

This is different . . .

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103250563918?model=3 WHEELER&include-delivery-option=on&postcode=so211tu&radius=1501&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&sort=relevance&make=MORGAN&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

😂

I like the classic Stang for weekends.

Probably won't lose money on it.

Then you need a practical daily.

Something not as sparce as a Caterham (we all deserve AC nowadays)

Something cheap on consumables, good load space which can do trips to the dump or fit a bike in the back (foldable rear seats and a hatch back).

Something really fun to drive and still a bit special that will turn heads.

Something that is only going up in price.

So to partner your classic Stang I nominate

THE DC5 INTEGRA TYPE R

1617055547980.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marzman said:

agricultural for special occasions. :lol:

I can just see you popping down the shops in on your Lamborghini . . .

Lamborghini_tractor.jpg

You could even stop off for the quick ploughing match 😂

On 29/03/2021 at 20:41, marzman said:

IBut i also keep coming back to 4x4's. .........  X5 or F-Pace is an option here.

Those are a bit different from a Cayman :).

Maybe its the higher driving position but in 50k+ and 4 years of driving our Model X on similar country roads I've never had any concerns on width or size. Infact I cannot remember once having to mount a bank/crub, the people coming the other way usually just jump out of the way, its only tractors which don't slow down as they get closer......might is right as they say :).

I do however now hate driving my wifes Lexus saloon, it feels cramped, unsafe, and when you are behind a SUV all you can see is a back bumper + number plate in your line of sight.

If you want a depreciation free and cheap to run SUV, have a look at the iPace. They are down to sub £45k for a 2-3 year old one, I doubt they will drop any more anytime soon as even Kia is now launching £60k+ EVs.

Running costs will be virtually nothing compared to a X5, and it certainly doesn't sound like you need the range.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... i've gone and bought what is now my 3rd RRS. :lol:

I've had two of the original shape previously, but this is my first 'new' shape version.

Its lovely to look at and is really well specced, and the interior is the nicest i've ever had on a car, even if it is 7 years old.  82k on the clock, but previous owner was a millionaire (so i assume that translates to well maintained), and it's just had a £1k service yesterday before i collected it. It's got 7 seats (very swish, electrically operated in the boot) and 21" rims with 4 new tyres (landsail :lol:).  Also as a full digital instrument cluster which i've wanted for years.

Got it for a bargain £24.5k from a pretty exclusive dealer, when in reality this should be closer to £28k based on the spec/mileage.

PXL_20210415_185546041_MP.jpg.5445c5e66a73371a671f4011e1c23471.jpgPXL_20210415_185632615_MP.jpg.bb7a4a53f607e792a17cd525a4119b5b.jpgPXL_20210415_185657532_MP.jpg.8f25985b1bbb67f780c9bd21d6149096.jpg

PXL_20210415_184701866_MP.jpg.1d1d7934b00daea03673d4696caf2460.jpgPXL_20210415_184714152_MP.jpg.8cd610a4409f62b085825136a76e0a65.jpg

And the dealer i got it from had a 458 and a Roller for sale that i could see... plus a few other fancy things i'd seen online  but not in the flesh.

PXL_20210414_175554201_MP.jpg.1ad217757c4b681b4669cdfe64236a9e.jpg

• Like 3