What next after Mustang?

marzman

My Mustang will be paid off around May next year and i'm torn as to what to get next.

I've left my Mustang on the drive and have been driving my wife's old e90 BMW 320d for most of the year while she's been wfh as I don't particularly enjoy driving the 'Stang to work.  I have a 15 mile commute down some crappy country lanes, which are single track in 4 or 5 places.  The Mustang is too big and too nice to subject to that drive, plus the frustration of not being able to stretch its legs gets on my tits.

Soooo i'm torn as to what to get next, and I've got up to an additional £30k to spend (including some borrowing).

I love having a nice car so i'm happy to keep the Mustang and get something else... the current front runner is a 981 Cayman (2.7 non-S model, so that i can drive it a bit harder within the legal limits).  I'm thinking it'll be smaller and more suitable for the lanes (or i might just be lying to myself!)  Alternatively I could get a 2014-ish 3 series or C Class and then offset the boredom by getting a classic Mustang too.  Or I could sell my Mustang and have around £60k to spend, and get something a little more nuts like an R8 or a 991 911 and a 3 series daily... 

i was also considering an F-Type but i suspect it'll be too big like the Mustang.

My realistic dream car is the Mercedes AMG GT which you can pick up for high £50k's, but they're still depreciating heavily so i'll leave it another 2 or 3 years before i start looking at them.

What would you guys do?

Here's the 'Stang as it stands today. (BMW in the garage is my track car, which i'm also looking to swap next year).

PXL_20201108_151203481_MP.jpg.2124064c0793d683c3d1fcf0acc2892f.jpg

Edited by marzman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Cayman is a good shout, but I’d look for a Boxster instead. Then you have a proper alternative to the mustang: FR V8 4 seat coupe vs MR F6 2 seat convertible. Both very different cars but equally as rewarding in different ways. 

R8/991 won’t help you out as they’re both very wide cars. A 997 would be a much better choice and well within the lower budget, as they can still be thrown around without worrying about the width quite so much. 

No Chris noooooooooooo don't sell the Stang!  :surrender:  I hope to hold onto mine as long as I can afford to (it's partly your fault I got one in the first place! :lol:

On the other hand Lucy loves her M2 and would recommend that as a good all rounder. :thumbs:  

IMG_20201230_103300433_HDR_2.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DoogyRev said:

Yeah I hear you, I am waiting to see how much the Mach1 is.... then if it’s near C8 money I would rather the C8..... but then again I like off roading... bronco also on a list :lol:

Are you looking at getting a new Bronco? I have been keeping an eye on those from the start - love the look, hopefully they will build RHD eventually?

Cayman or an M2 C/CS next for me I think, very tempted to take a GR Yaris for a spin but doubt I could live with it. 
Was chatting to a mate who adores his F Type the other day and since driving one I think everyone should own a 6.2 V8 Merc of some variety at some point, they are hilarious :lol: 

Or a Bentley of course .............

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, stanski said:

Are you looking at getting a new Bronco? I have been keeping an eye on those from the start - love the look, hopefully they will build RHD eventually?

No RHD in sight I'm afraid (inside info from son no1 in OZ who is a member of the design team)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, docwra said:

Cayman or an M2 C/CS next for me I think, very tempted to take a GR Yaris for a spin but doubt I could live with it. 
Was chatting to a mate who adores his F Type the other day and since driving one I think everyone should own a 6.2 V8 Merc of some variety at some point, they are hilarious :lol: 

A friend of mine has a Mulsanne, Arnage and classic Mk6 Bentley. I have driven all of them. If you want something that can move the gravitational pull of nearby planets the Mulsanne is the car to go for, if on the other hand you want to go a little Gangster style and pull the pants down of most cars on the road even today the Arnage! Sheesh that car is a really a beast in a suit! :drive1 A lot cheaper than the new stuff but don't look at the fuel gauge!

27 minutes ago, ATTAK Z said:

I hate you guys - you've got me looking at £30K Arnages now  :surrender:

Sorry....

........his is actually for sale. If there is one thing I will say about him, I found someone who is more anal about cars than me! It's the cleanest car on the planet and whatever it needs it gets :lol: sell sell sell. 

arnage.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stanski said:

Been thinking about it, I work from home so really don't use a car other than for pleasure, Bronco would be good for the off road potential and the winter. Going to wait and see one in the flesh and get some reports from owners. Last thing I want is another car with a leaky roof that can't be fixed like my wrangler I had. Nothing worse then getting in a damp car the whole year round. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, DoogyRev said:

Been thinking about it, I work from home so really don't use a car other than for pleasure, Bronco would be good for the off road potential and the winter. Going to wait and see one in the flesh and get some reports from owners. Last thing I want is another car with a leaky roof that can't be fixed like my wrangler I had. Nothing worse then getting in a damp car the whole year round. 

We looked at Wranglers a few years ago love the look but never got one. So expensive even older ones. Keep us posted about the Bronco. Looks fab @ATTAK Z number 1 son did a good job. :thumbs:

15 hours ago, Ekona said:

Cayman is a good shout, but I’d look for a Boxster instead. Then you have a proper alternative to the mustang: FR V8 4 seat coupe vs MR F6 2 seat convertible. Both very different cars but equally as rewarding in different ways. 

R8/991 won’t help you out as they’re both very wide cars. A 997 would be a much better choice and well within the lower budget, as they can still be thrown around without worrying about the width quite so much. 

Yeah i do like the 981 Boxster's so not a bad shout - the wife wants me to get a convertible next, too.  But I prefer the look of the Cayman. Won't rule it out.

R9/991 width won't matter as it won't be my daily. Not sure about a 997... I think i'd prefer the Mustang/Cayman combo.

12 hours ago, stanski said:

No Chris noooooooooooo don't sell the Stang!  :surrender:  I hope to hold onto mine as long as I can afford to (it's partly your fault I got one in the first place! :lol:

On the other hand Lucy loves her M2 and would recommend that as a good all rounder. :thumbs:  

I know... :byebye: i flip flop every other week with it.  After it's been washed it looks like a million dollars and i'm adamant i'm keeping it, but then a few days later i'm back browsing autotrader.  Ive never genuinely loved it like I did with my Azure Zed (which i do regret selling).

12 hours ago, docwra said:

I don't love the 2 series'.  Undoubtedly they're insanely capable, but one of my mates has a heavily-modded M235i (which is way quicker than my Mustang) but i don't love the look of them (Sorry Stan!)

4 hours ago, stanski said:

We looked at Wranglers a few years ago love the look but never got one. So expensive even older ones. Keep us posted about the Bronco. Looks fab @ATTAK Z number 1 son did a good job. :thumbs:

I love the look of Wranglers but agreed, their prices are crazy.  It's mad how they hold their value yet other Jeep's plummet.

Edited by marzman
  • Like 1

Keep yer Stang, they are mightily fun, even on the narrowest of roads, Christ we even went up Glen Etive in September in ours :lol:

Ive only did @ 2k Miles the whole of last year in it, obviously Covid restrictions didn’t help with planned Euro trips :blink:.

Yesterday, I just sat in it on the drive and ran it up to temp to defrost, started fannying aboot wi the active exhaust and the Lund N gauge and nearly killed the car :lol:   Luckily I managed to revert it back to the tune, despite my big fat goldfinger :teeth:

Im considering one of these as a ‘back up’ fun car, don’t know if it’s on your radar, https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012227321289?postcode=ml92ap&model=124 SPIDER&sort=relevance&include-delivery-option=on&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&make=FIAT&radius=1501&page=1

that exact one in fact.

Ill keep the Stang till it’s a pile of dust on the drive, being a Ford, that’ll probably not be long :lol:  Owes me nowt, but the adventures we’ve been on in it have been marvellous and it still gives me a nice, comforting feeling when I ‘slip it on’.

• Like 1

In a similar situation with my Mk2 370z Nismo 

Ends in March Balloon around £18k. New tyres £1k but its worth £22/23k so may go by the end of year in which case a replacement is needed

Depends on personal situation & responsibilities if things change then a more practical daily that's narrower would do the trick - I30n fastback or the new i20n depending on its price. Both in baby blue lol Golf has been a disaster. Another option is the Megane RS Trophy depending on whats on the used market

If not then will prob keep but I too am in a situation eyeing up performance bargains of the near future that people will be getting rid of due to  ongoing situation:

i8, F types have lost that wow factor imo

Benz AMG GT looks tempting 

Corvette C7 should drop to sub £40k mark by end of year

Lexus LC500 are now holding their value a bit more but expect the facelifted RCF to plummet. Theres a few track editions on the market that will drop eventually

Mustang - Tempted to go for one these myself in one. The green appeals to me think its a facelifted colour option. I can see sales slowing down 

Alfa Guila Quadrafolio - already discarded this due to horror stories re reliability 

Edited by hmale4yu

Id say keep it and look at a Boxster 981/718 maybe. 

My neighbour had an older 6 cylinder yellow boxster 2005. Head turner....Everytime I see him I ask whens the replacement coming? They are around £6k+ now and cant speak for maintenance. 

Or could get something small and fun like an MX5, Abarth 124