Synth jet fuel, could diesel make a comeback?

stanski

I was reading about an experiment the boffins at Oxford Uni did to convert CO2, Hydrogen and some iron into synthetic jet fuel, which sounds pretty impressive and promising. But Jet fuel is kind of refined diesel, soooo if they can do it for jets why not create clean diesel and we can continue to use oil burners without the enviro worry? Looking at it through my simple rose coloured glasses. 

https://www.wired.com/story/could-carbon-dioxide-be-turned-into-jet-fuel/

What do you think? An alternative to EV's especially as 99% of freight and passengers are still powered by diesel engines?

The biggest energy corporations in the world are all working on truly sustainable biofuels that make as much use as possible of their current infrastructure and manufacturing processes. 

Even Formula 1 announced recently that they’re working on sustainable bio-race fuels for ICE (supported in large by at least two of those aforementioned corporations).

EV’s will be an option, not the solution.

• Like 2

I thought Jet Fuel was Kerosene. 

Im all for alternatives so niche companies like Aston Martin can continue to operate in EU. 

If they can get the cost down to One Euro per litre they could be onto something. Right now Im sure I read it costs £4 per litre right now to produce synth fuel...

Porsche are also looking into it now...

I see fuel pumps using Hydrogen, Alcohol whatever that might be, Unleaded with increased methanol content and new cleaner bio diesel for commercial vehicles. 

Looking at higher costs I think

Edited by GranTurismoEra