How Long Will A New W Brace Last

Ceejay29

I need to replace a few items on the underside of the car. W brace being one item. My preference would be to buy a new OEW brace, although it’s pretty foreseeable that it may require replacing again in the future.... just wondering how long the new OEM’s have held up. I’m sure some in here must have gone like for like. 

Thanks

Chris 

• 2 months later...

Replaced my original W Brace and kidney brackets today (16 years old). Just a bit of advice really for everyone to fully check the condition of the whole brace including either end underneath the plastic covers. My W brace appeared to be structurally sound with some surface rust, with the car even passing its MOT only two months ago however, having had new OEM brace and kidney brackets in the garage for over a year and being on furlough, thought what better time than to fit them and tidy up the underneath of the Z! Here is what I found hidden from view....the W brace was barely attached at one end. New parts undersealed and fitted along with further underseal treatment under the car. Inspect those W braces peeps! Looks can be deceiving.

20210320_165821.jpg

20210320_165748.jpg

20210320_165946.jpg

20210321_171109.jpg

20210321_171037.jpg

16 minutes ago, Kieran O'Quick said:

Holy crow! Do you park on a beach? 

It's not an essential though is it? Could run without?

As far as I'm aware, it is essential to add strength to the car and prevent chassis flexing? I wouldn't run without one! I have owned the car for just over a year and always experienced slight scuttle shake and I believe this explains why. I won't know until the underseal has set and I take the car for a spin. 

15 minutes ago, checkle91 said:

As far as I'm aware, it is essential to add strength to the car and prevent chassis flexing? I wouldn't run without one! I have owned the car for just over a year and always experienced slight scuttle shake and I believe this explains why. I won't know until the underseal has set and I take the car for a spin. 

Aye, true on a vert especially