GT Pack vs GT

SH23

I've found a stunning Z close by, in my ideal colour and at 40k miles. It has leather/electric/heated seats (no mention of cruise control or Bose in description) but not the forged Rays. I was wondering if this would be the GT pack, and if this is much different to a GT model?

My thoughts based on info here are no, and that all I'd need to do for my personal preference of making it "GT" is get ahold of a set of Rays?

I recall electric seats being fitted to base models in years gone by.  It seems the wiring is all there so just plug and play, although for heated seats to work you would need the switches as well.

Best if you can post up some pics of your (inside and out) to help us verify the model for you.

This is the car:

https://www.avantiautomotive.co.uk/vehicle-details/Used-Nissan-350-Z-3-5-V6-Coupe-2dr-Petrol-Manual-(273-g-km--276-bhp)-For-Sale-in-bristol-gloucestershire--U1117

Not sure I'll be going ahead due to restrictions, depends how their covid precautions are for viewing/test drive tomorrow when I phone them (forgot to ask, woops)! Shame because if it disappears I'll be gutted but not worth the risk!

10 minutes ago, SH23 said:

Ok thanks for the advice on price, honestly I thought for 40k miles that was ok, good to know! 

Personally, I would only pay that asking price if it is exceptionally good condition and everything checks out. While it is the best colour for a Z ill agree, it is right at the very top of what they're worth, especially a DE. 

If I was to do 350z ownership again and had that budget, I'd be looking at a good condition HR. Newer car, newer refinements and the better model to have IMO

If the oily bits, the underneath bits and the hidden bits are as tidy as what can be seen, it's not a totally outlandish price (although I agree it is top end). As has been said, it is a GT, with a couple of additional bits thrown at it too (front & rear spats, and I'm sure I spotted a tonneau cover in there too).

That's the price you should be paying for a totally standard 30,000 mile HR (2007 onward) IMO

Although I have noticed prices creeping up since I bought mine in 2018.

The MOST important thing you need to do is look underneath one. I know this first hand. Even then, the problem might be what might not be visible by looking under it.

The biggest value in buying a Z in my opinion is if it's a) super low mileage (while still being serviced) and b) stored in a garage

The below pics are of my INNER quarter panels - something you can't see without taking the outer skin off (spot welded) and the side skirts.

IMG-20201102-WA0009.jpg.e628a5708c7ea29f8d5a8bad78373393.jpgIMG-20201107-WA0016.jpg.aba7dcea3847304d166ee4089faca189.jpgIMG-20201107-WA0019.jpg.434fbfc1c8ab42b3a393c34a63ccf171.jpg

Been to see it and drive it, dealers pdi came back all ticks no comments. Mechanical bits all seem great, Nissan dealer stamps but only later small services show up on the Nissan system.. the big thing that makes me want to haggle down is, as mentioned above, rust.

Centre bolt in cross member is heavily rusted (the one that holds the exhaust in of it falls?). Heat shield underneath exhaust at front is rusted through, small patches of heavy rust in the engine bay like down in front of the belts, on some bolts like the shock mounts... It's clearly been living somewhere close to salt water even though the exterior/interior are near flawless.

How big a deal is the rust on these? Is it a case of new panels for a few hundred each? Or is it a case of the car is condemned, even with good mechanical/oily bits?

Any rust and it’s too much money. You can buy a 100k mile 370z for that. I don’t think I’ve seen a DE go for £10k for quite some time :shrug:

The W brace underneath will be rusty but if you are seeing it elsewhere then there could be plenty of hidden rust elsewhere

One lesson I have learned over the years is that low miles does not equal good quality in this mileage obsessed car market in the UK 

Walk away. 

Rust is sadly an inevitably on all cars, especially in the UK however there are things that can be done to help hold it back. This one will be too far gone to rescue at this point

As said above, if you have that kind of budget then find yourself a better example 

3 hours ago, coldel said:

[. . .]

One lesson I have learned over the years is that low miles does not equal good quality in this mileage obsessed car market in the UK 

Does not equal, or does not guarantee?

I would suggest it's the latter.  There are owners with lower mileage cars; who store and keep their cars fairly clean and dry, wire brush and grease or paint rust-prone areas, and service them annually irrespective of mileage. Admittedly such owners are few and far between, but not every car that is rarely used is rarely cared for. You've just got to ask the right questions.