350z paint pad and compound combo

mx49

Hi All,

getting a DA8 polisher for Christmas and wondering if anyone can recommend a good pad/compound combination for the paint on a 2005 350z (sunset orange) as I believe all the manufacturers have different clear coat hardness so it's not a one compound/pad suits all. The other point is that the car is obviously 15 years old and I guess this affects the hardness of the clear coat. This is my first time with a DA polisher and I am hoping to just get rid of minor swirls and bring a bit of shine back to the paintwork as the roof, bonnet and hatch are looking especially dull :-) 

Cheers, Mike

350z1-NR.jpg

18 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

Yup, LC Hydrotech pads, by the way. S30+ and S20 will cover all your needs on a Z. Consider getting some spot pads (same ones) and an appropriate backing plate as well as larger pads, they make all the difference on the curves.

I've got a 3" backing plate with the DA8 as well as the full size one. That's why I went for this polisher so I can do my motorbike as well :-)

Polish / pad combos are a minefield. What some people like, others may not. Start off with the least aggressive is the usual rule. I've got the Megs 6.5" yellow pads & a couple of the 4" Flexipad polishing pads. I also use Autosmart EVO 1. Seems a good combo on the types of paint I've used them on.

Some of the stuff I've done is here: http://mrv6.co.uk/detailing/

Just a few from over the years, I'm no pro at all, but I tend to do the odd one in the warmer weather.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...