Time for a four door

formatzero

The time has come for me to get a run the grandchildren about car that is not electric ! Obviously would like something that looks good and goes well but has four doors.I was initially drawn to something diesel Bmw or Audi with three litre power however i am being told by all and sundry that because my mileage is around town and  stop start with very few long distance runs i will have big DPF problems.I have also read that these big Germans are not that reliable so do i stick with something Jap like a type r ?I have about £22k to spend.Feel free to stick in your tuppence worth:)

If its only small journeys you would be doing then yes you would kill your dpf filter in no time at all on modern cars. petrol would be the way to go. All cars have the potential to be unreliable though don't they? it all depends on how they're looked after really. I have had a big V8 BMW 550i M-sport which was better on fuel than my 370Z but it didn't float my boat for long lol...But a great 4 door car with power when needed of course :lol:

• Like 1

I would say BMW M2 other half loves it, yes it's not 4 doors but the back is spacious enough for adults and the boot is very big, plus fun to drive.  Only downside for your budget you get all the crash damaged ones...:headhurt:

So Lexus but not sure which model really depends on what you like?  

Deffo avoid diesel it will be worthless anyway in a few years.

New Suzuki Jimmy if you can find one for sale?

Those new Shape Mazda 3s look pretty cool and 4 door? Can get one new for less than £19k?

Edited by stanski
  • Like 1

Check out the i30N,  get a good 1 year old one with your budget.

5 years warranty that includes track use (if you want to do that).

Only downside I have found is that it tempts you to exercise your right foot :D and with a smallish tank (50ltr), fill-ups come round pretty quick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Then a decent e90 335i would be my shout. Or tbh if you want something bargey then an f10 550i is a glorious thing, and that chassis is stunning. If it’s a good steer in f11 520d format (and it really is), then I can only imagine how nice it would be with a v8 :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

I'm just going ot leave this here; VXR8.

This was a good effort.

2 hours ago, Ekona said:

Well that’s the internet won. Well played sir. 

And I very nearly liked this, but then I realised there was an alternative with more street cred...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201912185442298

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stutopia said:

This was a good effort.

And I very nearly liked this, but then I realised there was an alternative with more street cred...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201912185442298

If I’m honest, I’d give a VXR8 more street cred as that looks too plain to me. Just looks like a modified Insignia at a quick glance and not something I’d even give a second look at out on the road.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, formatzero said:

That takes me back to my youth,tempted by old classics as a summer car ,Zodiac, or first model Capri, ! 

I was thinking about getting a Dolly Sprint but I am being daft, my Rover has to go first if I ever get time to prep it and get it advertised. Good luck in your search.:thumbs:

1 hour ago, formatzero said:

That takes me back to my youth,tempted by old classics as a summer car ,Zodiac, or first model Capri, ! 

do it, you wont regret it. Speaking with personal experience. Haven't regretted selling my Nismo for one moment.

• Like 1

Our "other" car is a Jag XF 3.0 diesel, and the Mrs just poodles around in it most of the time, the DPF thing isn't a problem, and if it does bring a light up, you just take it for a decent run and it clears......had to do it twice in my old one (2008) , and never in my newer one (2013)

If i was replacing the Zed, it would be the XF-R...ask Chris @cs2000 as hes got one!!

• Like 1

I'm old enough to have had a license long before the Marina came out. I've never driven one and I consider that to be a lucky escape. The funnest 70s car I ever had was a firm's Fiat 124; boy did that car love to rev. It lasted me about a year and then the oil light came on  :not_me: ... happy days  B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, stanski said:

I was thinking about getting a Dolly Sprint but I am being daft, my Rover has to go first if I ever get time to prep it and get it advertised. Good luck in your search.:thumbs:

Had two Dolly Sprints in my youth and loved them,they were however prone to overheating and doin cylinder  head gaskets,quick in their day though:)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, formatzero said:

Had two Dolly Sprints in my youth and loved them,they were however prone to overheating and doin cylinder  head gaskets,quick in their day though:)

The force is strong but I have 3 classics already no way can I justify another. Thanks for the advice btw.

• Like 1