how to stick rubber to painted metal ??

neo

Hi,

My dads Corsa had trouble with the wiring for the tailgate, that's been sorted but i managed to break a clip for the wiring rubber sleeve/conduit (see picture) tried to use what i had to hand which was black roof sealant, seemed to work for a week or so but then still pulls away, contact adhesive didn't work at all, would tigerseal work or something else ??

half the clip still locks in its just the other half that's missing :blush:

corsa tailgate .jpg

11 minutes ago, neo said:

Hi,

My dads Corsa had trouble with the wiring for the tailgate, that's been sorted but i managed to break a clip for the wiring rubber sleeve/conduit (see picture) tried to use what i had to hand which was black roof sealant, seemed to work for a week or so but then still pulls away, contact adhesive didn't work at all, would tigerseal work or something else ??

half the clip still locks in its just the other half that's missing :blush:

corsa tailgate .jpg

Any PU based sealant should work but takes time to set. I would use Gorilla glue super glue. Clean both sides with meths or alcohol, dry off and put a tiny bit of glue on the rubber side. Press and hold in position for about 2 mins then you will be fine. Close the boot for a few hours and it's done.

I tried all sorts of glues over the years and they always let me down but this one actually works. Good luck

6 minutes ago, neo said:

Yes it will anything to get rid of any grease or contaminant? Paint thinners, nail varnish remover have a look around the house.

Turps is fine. Just a little on a rag it's just to remove grease that's all. Then a clean rag after. The gorrila stuff is about £2.99 a pack lasts forever only need a tiny bit but hold it in place with your fingers for about 2 mins. 

Edited by stanski

1 hour ago, stanski said:

I would use Gorilla glue super glue.

My experience with Gorilla Glue is that it expands as it dries, so holding for 2 min won't be long enough, I would look to find a way to clamp in place for at least an hour. Put a couple of globs on a bit of wood and see.

Another option would be Araldite which is an epoxy based glue (two tubes you need to mix to activate) that does not expand but will be more finicky about the surface cleanness before bonding.

22 minutes ago, DoogyRev said:

My experience with Gorilla Glue is that it expands as it dries, so holding for 2 min won't be long enough, I would look to find a way to clamp in place for at least an hour. Put a couple of globs on a bit of wood and see.

Another option would be Araldite which is an epoxy based glue (two tubes you need to mix to activate) that does not expand but will be more finicky about the surface cleanness before bonding.

It's the small.superglue tubes I have used  like fixing broken plates etc? Didn't know it expands but never had an issue? I don't use it for at least a few hours after joining but have glued my damn fingers to it in the past.:lol: 

Cleaned with some white spirit, wiped dry then left 20mins to make sure, used araldite "rapid" in the end, easier to control coverage as i thought super glue would run too much and stick the wires together inside :blush:, the attached picture is after 20mins and a couple of slowly opening and closing the boot, Fingers crossed this has worked.

if this fails i've always got some Black Jack Flashing DIY - Everbuild  :lol:

Thanks again for your help :thumbs:

corsa_glued.jpg

Edited by neo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, neo said:

Cleaned with some white spirit, wiped dry then left 20mins to make sure, used araldite "rapid" in the end, easier to control coverage as i thought super glue would run too much and stick the wires together inside :blush:, the attached picture is after 20mins and a couple of slowly opening and closing the boot, Fingers crossed this has worked.

Thanks again for your help :thumbs:

corsa_glued.jpg

Nice one well done. A garage would charge you hours labour for that I think?

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, neo said:

yeah easily, so hopefully saved a few quid :thumbs:

i did a cheeky edit after your quote :blush:

Blimey if araldite doesn't hold it , get the screwdriver out and put some 6 inch screws in there, duct tape for added strength. :lol:

• Haha 1