Brake pad replacement

Nick550

Hi guys

I have just replaced the front brake pads on my '04 350 and it was a right pain tbh! The old pads were a pain to get out. I could rock then backward and forward but they wouldnt lift out so had to persuade them! The new ones were very tight to get in and I noticed that the guides on the inside of the calipers were sticking out from proud and im thinking maybe they have bent or have lifted due to dust etc. The brakes feel fine now but Ive def got a small amount of binding on one side.

Was just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and how they resolved it. Im thinking of starting again, replacing the guides and fitting different pads.

The new pads were exactly the same size as the ones that came out and are genuine Brembo from Eurocarparts (Product Code: 10170036A - 323mm)

Cheers

Nick

To get rid of the oxidisation on the caliper which causes the stainless steel slipper guide to become misaligned you will have to split the caliper to remove the torx screws that hold the slipper in place I am afraid.

You will also have to top and tail the pads to make sure that they are not a tight fit within the caliper, this is why you are having binding issues.

Brembo O rings are in stock if you decide to go this recommended route.

51 minutes ago, Nick550 said:

Alex, do you really have to split the caliper to remove the torx screw?

I have always struggled to get the torx screws out insitu without damaging them and I have all the correct tools.

Much quicker and easier just to split.

if you do not want to go that route, then simply just top and tail the pad backing plate until they are a good fit in the caliper.

I had this very issue with my old 406 Coupe that had Brembo 4 pots. Corrosion lifts the sliders. The guy that did mine managed to wedge 2x triangular pieces of wood in there to put pressure on the bit unscrewing the torx screws. Saved splitting the calipers. Now, I just grind the edges of the pads to make them fit.

6 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

I have always struggled to get the torx screws out insitu without damaging them and I have all the correct tools.

Much quicker and easier just to split.

if you do not want to go that route, then simply just top and tail the pad backing plate until they are a good fit in the caliper.

I can also confirm what Alex says here, without splitting the Cali per you run the risk of rounding the torx as you can’t get the correct angle on it, the other issue being it’s probably been in there since manufacture, save yourself the trouble get them repainted by a professional as they will remove the shims and redo all the seals anyway, it’s the best way to stop the oxidisation from setting in again 

11 hours ago, Azurez33 said:

I can also confirm what Alex says here, without splitting the Cali per you run the risk of rounding the torx as you can’t get the correct angle on it, the other issue being it’s probably been in there since manufacture, save yourself the trouble get them repainted by a professional as they will remove the shims and redo all the seals anyway, it’s the best way to stop the oxidisation from setting in again 

Thanks mate.

Any ideas who offers such a service and approx cost? It sounds expensive :(

11 hours ago, Nick550 said:

Thanks mate.

Any ideas who offers such a service and approx cost? It sounds expensive :(

We have a brake overhaul company near us called Bigred, they do anything brake related, you can send off calipers to them or you can take your car to them which will cost more obviously, i think i asked them to do the works on my ATR calipers and they quoted about 400+ vat ( colour was my choice and they replace the pistons and seals bearing in mind brembos are 4 pots aha)