You couldn't pay me to buy electric...

AMT

I know this is a random story from a general car site but I've seen plenty stories online, tv and through reading to realise despite trying to roll out all this electric charger stuff... You don't know if they are gonna work when you get there and generally theres no one around to help or provide info. IMO we are still a looong way away from being able to do this like we do petrol/diesel.  Until those run out you couldn't pay me to have an electric car... (wouldnt it be amusing if it actually died off and we had tk find another option to the norm?) 

https://carbuzz.com/news/130-mile-trip-in-a-porsche-taycan-took-nine-hours

• Like 1

There's a couple of '68 Chargers round these parts ... a blue one that's been restored and wins prizes and one presently under a 2 year restoration that will be black. The motor on the black one has been rebuilt in the states at a cost of $30K and is waiting for the body to be completed.

1914532857_ChrissCharger.jpg.1bdb9411bae6bea5c89eb0171e1369af.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know what the fuss is about people still make about EVs. This is how old my daughter was when we ordered our current EV.... 

28709774022_12f33a103c_c_d.jpg 

And 4 years on the EV is treated like any other family car, today it was ginger bread snack whilst listening to Frozen waiting for mummy to finish some shopping. 

There is no need to be melodramatic about EVs, if you don't want one no one will make you buy one, combustion cars will be around for decades even after new ones stop been made. 

50682907041_d9cc95319b_c_d.jpg

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, gangzoom said:

I don't know what the fuss is about people still make about EVs. This is how old my daughter was when we ordered our current EV.... 

28709774022_12f33a103c_c_d.jpg 

And 4 years on the EV is treated like any other family car, today it was ginger bread snack whilst listening to Frozen waiting for mummy to finish some shopping. 

There is no need to be melodramatic about EVs, if you don't want one no one will make you buy one, combustion cars will be around for decades even after new ones stop been made. 

50682907041_d9cc95319b_c_d.jpg

What you letting her eat biscuit in your pristine car? Oh crumbs!  :lol:

I don't think anyone is really fussed about getting EVs its just that people are being forced to by the government that's all? It's like seat belts? It's taken a generation to use seatbelts and I expect EVs will be too but we are old farts and we love our petrol. :drive1

isn't it more 'ev' is a what looks to be final piece of technical evolution of road car type personal transport. moving on from a very old cave man fossil burning technology.

so then if you want the best all round for personal transport it's an easy answer.

all advances and improvements the last 40 years after hydraulics are of the electric type so the clear obvious and major gain is that final propulsion bit.
even more so in the sporty ones -road and race. where the design and advantage is always an electronic tweak.

the beauty of the Z is that it's a throwback - manual, rwd, mid size n/a making medium power. - there's not another one out there.
just need to get an ecutek and remove that pesky tc.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stanski said:

It's like seat belts? It's taken a generation to use seatbelts and I expect EVs will be too but we are old farts and we love our petrol. :drive1

I fathom to think why anyone would object to wearing seat belts unless they were keen to become an organ donor!!

The biggest issues of EVs is still cost, but the fact VAG is now pushing ahead that should change. Apparently 'discounts' of upto 20% on the VW ID3, making it barely any more expensive than the petrol Golf. Tesla on the otherhand just put UP prices on the S/X by £5k, £100k is now what you need for X after options!!!

And it'll be a long time before used EVs offer the same choice and value as used combustion cars. But combustion cars will be around for decades yet, so if you don't want an EV, you really don't need to get one.

3 hours ago, gangzoom said:

I fathom to think why anyone would object to wearing seat belts unless they were keen to become an organ donor!!

The biggest issues of EVs is still cost, but the fact VAG is now pushing ahead that should change. Apparently 'discounts' of upto 20% on the VW ID3, making it barely any more expensive than the petrol Golf. Tesla on the otherhand just put UP prices on the S/X by £5k, £100k is now what you need for X after options!!!

And it'll be a long time before used EVs offer the same choice and value as used combustion cars. But combustion cars will be around for decades yet, so if you don't want an EV, you really don't need to get one.

Sadly I still remember people driving without seat belts!! Mad! I always fitted belts to my 50s classics regardless even though legally they don't need them.

Tesla are trying to be the premium side of the market but it's the cheaper end that will make EVs be taken up. We need a Dacia style EV but batteries and infrastructure will be the stumbling blocks and I doubt they will be ready by 2030?

They wont ban petrol cars they will just tax them off the roads or change the petrol in such a way it will be too costly to bother adjusting engines to cope? Then again when they ditched lead in petrol it didn't kill off classics did it?

Let's see what happens in about 5 years time? ;)

Id say goodluck in whatever you choose.

Who do you think is paying for smooth quiet roads to enjoy 'EV' and the soft suspension....Thats when they decide to fix the roads

EV drivers will soon become cash cows to equalize  the losses in Road Tax. Imagine 50% drop in road tax due to huge uptake in ev...No longer cheap motoring...

Introduction of per mile toll for all cars. Another stealth tax to recover the economy. 

Easiest way from government to make money is delay the ban on petrol and diesel by 5-10 years. EV will result in loss of VED revenue. Start taxing EVs id say. Force manufacturers to look at making Electric cars sub £30,000.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/07/uk-first-all-electric-car-charging-forecourt-opens-in-essex

Great business plan. I hope the government will at least collect their VAT, corporate taxes and extras just as they do with Gasoline. 

It's part of the craze for mindfulness which has dropped in to everything these days? You know a 30 minute break whilst the car charges and you spend money on very expensive coffee and magazines in the available shops?

Will there be an ACE cafe alternative also? Earth friendly type cafe with paper cups and non animal products uber expensive latte and vegan breakfast overpriced no doubt? A section for all the E bikers too? Damn that will be a boring place not an oil leak anywhere to be found!!:lol:

Just to be clear I am taking the mick before I upset vegans or E Bikers! I was almost tempted by a Chinese copy E lambretta myself last year?

It will be fine we are just being luddites....

• Haha 1

Ha, each to their own. Ill be popping and banging as I stop next door at the real Ace Cafe for a fill up. 

Incentives to buy diesel or hybrid petrol as I have. We all know the government scams to get people mobile again until the next revenue raising opportunity arises. It may not be 3D TV but a simple solution is to move to the countryside or badlands in order to keep your way of life. 

Its okay since I visit London once or twice a year its not the end of the world. Ill just borrow my moms Kia Niro or Brothers Model X. Could take a train at the risk of being tackled to the ground for not having a mask over my nose.

A vegan E cafe library while you charge. Maybe they want an Utopia only fit for Hybrid personalities and forward thinkers. We as petrolheads will need to be outside city walls with the travellers and Nomads. 

• Haha 1

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1369318/car-tax-changes-classic-car-uk-owners-electric-vehicle-pay-per-mile

“Any taxation scheme should serve to deter long term petrol/ diesel uptake and help the population move towards greener solutions.”

"Pay per mile systems will force drivers to install telematics black box devices inside their cars to monitor how many miles drivers have covered."

Haha, kindly p*** off..... Classic cars remain exempt hmm.

Long term EV exemption isnt sustainable. No sheet :lol:...

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1369318/car-tax-changes-classic-car-uk-owners-electric-vehicle-pay-per-mile

“Any taxation scheme should serve to deter long term petrol/ diesel uptake and help the population move towards greener solutions.”

"Pay per mile systems will force drivers to install telematics black box devices inside their cars to monitor how many miles drivers have covered."

Haha, kindly p*** off..... Classic cars remain exempt hmm.

Long term EV exemption isnt sustainable. No sheet :lol:...

The only reason classic cars get off (for now) are the powerful and rich higher ups who are members of or involved in the classic car movement. Eventually classics will be kicked out like everyone else. Obviously I am biased as a lifelong classic owner I love the tax and mot free lifestyle although still think the mot bit is mad! 

I wonder if they do positive earth or 6v tracking boxes especially for classics?

• Like 1

electric vehicle owners may be exempt from new charge

And yet three sentences later:

The switch to a pay as you go system is being considered to fill a £40billion black hole caused by the switch to electric vehicles.

Awesome journalism and in no way just some thoughtless sensationalism based on absolutely nothing at all (you can't even claim that is based on supposition!). 

3 hours ago, stanski said:

The only reason classic cars get off (for now) are the powerful and rich higher ups who are members of or involved in the classic car movement. Eventually classics will be kicked out like everyone else. Obviously I am biased as a lifelong classic owner I love the tax and mot free lifestyle although still think the mot bit is mad! 

I wonder if they do positive earth or 6v tracking boxes especially for classics?

worded that wrong. What I meant was the telematic box to track you and how many miles covered. Its ok for classic cars to be exempt. People have paid for them lol

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

worded that wrong. What I meant was the telematic box to track you and how many miles covered. Its ok for classic cars to be exempt. People have paid for them lol

I admit I didn't read all of it as I got so fed up with all the pop ups and adverts every 2 seconds!! (Reading on phone) .:surrender:

• Haha 1