Considering trading the Nismo for TTS/TTRS

GranTurismoEra

As reliable as anything else modern but not super fancy, ie very. TTRS will be much more expensive to run because of the RS tax, but ultimately a much better car plus that engine is worth it. 

Any car can be a possible lemon, I’ve no doubt there’s plenty of Zeds that have turned themselves off for no reason too. Flukes happen, it’s the known issues you need to worry about. Check the owners forums for more detail on those. 

5 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

I checked with my brother who claims his mates TT shut down on the motorway. Ive never broken down on a motorway in 12 years of driving Japanese. What issues am I looking at with these cars. How reliable can they be. Wonder if anyone here has had the mark 3 current gen 2016 -

Personally i would stick with the nismo 

I ran a modified mk2 TTrs for 7 years, 5 of those alongside my 370z roadster and I can definitely say the TT was cheaper to run. Despite being stage 3 (~575bhp) it was roughly the same cost to insure, the tax was less than half that of the Zed, and servicing was about the same (done at an independent). Mpg was better in the TT - unless I was booting it, which, actually come to think of it was most of the time :lol:

In all those years it was ultra reliable, never had a single fault.  I would say the build quality was significantly better than the Zed (not that there was anything wrong with the Zed). Performance wise even a standard TTrs would be quicker than a nismo, but before I get shot down, it’s not RWD and that would be the clincher for a lot of people. Depends what you ultimately want the car for.

If you’re considering a mk3 they’re a big leap forward again over the mk2. Better performance, more modern tech, easily tunable to around 500bhp with just a remap

2 hours ago, ShortPaul said:

Personally i would stick with the nismo 

I can't argue with that to be fair. From a keen drivers point of view the 370 wipes the floor with the TT for me. The TT is great if you are chasing power/performance though. As a drivers car though they don't compare, and they are chalk and cheese for sure I reckon. 

With all due respect, it’s not like the 370 is particularly well known for being the pinnacle of driving excellence. Whilst I would always prefer rwd over 4wd myself, unless you’re capable of deducing the minutiae of chassis and power train nuances, I suspect that the RS will be the more thrilling car to own full stop. Cars have come an awful long way since the 350 chassis came out, let’s not forget. 

Plus you’re comparing one of the nicest interiors in a modern car to one thats *ahem* lacking cohesive design. That alone would go a long way to making you feel you’re sat in something much more special. 

• Haha 1

575bhp from 345hp Jeez.....Thats Serious..Stage 3 bigger turbos?....The mk3 TTRS would be great for someone who wants similar drama to the v10 for half the price. Although its no v10. Some might say you could get a 6-8 year old R8 for the price of a brand new TTRS just the running costs. Brakes alone are probably more than a GTR on a much older R8.

I think the TTS mk 3 would be level on performance with the Z without the noise. TTRS would be quicker and a good sound better too...

@Ekona the common faults are too many to list. Im sure MMI, Windows and other Electrical faults. As you say could go years without an issue. Under warranty would be ok. Ive heard of lemon zeds in the states for sure.

@ShortPaul the Z would be better to keep although does attract a lot of attention ie tailgating and boyracers im.usually in the left lane with the priuses when busy lol This new Z would be a debadge 100% thats depending on price..Really and truely it should be priced at 35-44k and Nismo at 53k? Keeping the Z is likely we,ll see. Something says keep it for another year to 18 months then see what the prices are in Japan for ZP lol...in terms of looks ZP isnt on the 370 nismo level imo...Still a year away tho

@Lee370Z yep my former boss had that mk2 TT. They came with the hairdresser tag which had me and colleagues scratching our heads... The mk3 looks more updated with a nicer interior...Cleaner lines. Just a bit on the small side. The 370 is much bigger and in your face...

I burned 50 miles of petrol driving in town today. It returns maybe 5-10 miles once on a long consistent run...The TT would be cheaper to run daily petrol wise. I reckon 25mpg in town though for the TTRS hmm

Edited by GranTurismoEra

21 minutes ago, Ekona said:

With all due respect, it’s not like the 370 is particularly well known for being the pinnacle of driving excellence. Whilst I would always prefer rwd over 4wd myself, unless you’re capable of deducing the minutiae of chassis and power train nuances, I suspect that the RS will be the more thrilling car to own full stop. Cars have come an awful long way since the 350 chassis came out, let’s not forget. 

Plus you’re comparing one of the nicest interiors in a modern car to one thats *ahem* lacking cohesive design. That alone would go a long way to making you feel you’re sat in something much more special. 

Great point, the first line got me....tbh its always been a it is what it is car. Some might think he either loves the car or hasnt tried anything else. RWD once the tires start wearing down it becomes a chore in the wet despite improved grip over the 350. Its an alternative take on what it should be. Bar the suspension and stock pads, clutch etc I think its a great experience driving it. A TTS/RS would probably be the more mature drive and somewhat softened for everyday use. Still maintaining the sport/performance side. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

I don’t think they’ll feel softened at all, the suspension in the RS especially isn’t known for being forgiving! Mature drive, yeah I’d go with that, but that’s not a bad thing. The 911 was certainly more mature than the 350, but it was also certainly on another level in terms of both being a sensible cruiser but also an amazing car to nail the arse off. I’d expect a TTRS to be much the same. 

Go for a test drive of a few see what you think (post lockdown of course?)

If you look at my signature you see my cars since 2000 have been of the Japanese persuasion. I used to cover around 30000+ miles per year due to job so did change cars a bit and when my daughter arrived, why the zed had to go. :surrender:

But I loved each and every one of them, for what they were even the chocolate Cube we had.

Honestly I miss the MR2, RX8, Zed ,MX5 MK1 and yes the Cube they were not the best cars on the planet and often slated in the press but you know they had soul were a bit different and I was glad to have them.

I really wanted a Nismo 370z in storm white but due to circumstances (unfortunately sad) the Mustang appeared and just had everything I wanted. Yours will run rings around it as will the TT no doubt but it's got soul character lots of fun. I do get boy racers but mostly bikers and Subaru WRXs with a big thumbs up and smile. Isn't that what driving should be about fun? 

Go for it, if you don't like it hang on for the Zed-pee? :thumbs:

@Ekona maybe refined was the word I was looking for. Smoother, insulated better, better suspension. 

@stanski ofcourse test drive is always best way to find out, ZP is ambitious as we dont know what the costs will be. Also the look isnt final its all based on feedback from the states probably. Yeah character is whats missing from many cars. The Mustang is popular here in north west London. Sound, looks, performance great package what both cars can offer

• Like 1

If you want a car that’s very quick but not exactly the nicest place to spend time, sure. TTRS isn’t much slower in the real world, that’s for sure. 

I also don’t think the TTRS is lacking character in the slightest. It looks the part, it goes the part, it sounds the part. TTS a different story, but still lovely place to be. 

3 hours ago, Ekona said:

I know that the 350/370 aren't the last word when it comes to drivers cars(they are far too heavy for that/and based on a boring saloon chassis). However the first time I went around a corner in the TTS I nearly understeered into a field! :lol:

The TTS was a great car to live with for sure, and I loved the interior/looks. As a drivers car though it is right at the bottom of the cars I've had. I am happy to take the 370 out for a drive just for the sake of it, but I'd never do that with the TTS. That is the difference for me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

575bhp from 345hp Jeez.....Thats Serious..Stage 3 bigger turbos?....The mk3 TTRS would be great for someone who wants similar drama to the v10 for half the price. Although its no v10. Some might say you could get a 6-8 year old R8 for the price of a brand new TTRS just the running costs. Brakes alone are probably more than a GTR on a much older R8.

Yeah bigger turbos and all the ancillary’s. 
If your talking R8’s they’re on a whole different level! I wanted one for years, but didn’t think it would be worth the extra cost as it wouldn’t be much (if any) faster than my TT - oh how wrong I was! I bought a V10+ and it’s way better than my TT. The handling is unreal, and the whole driving experience is in another league

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ekona said:

Did you ever get the geo done? German cars factory settings are notoriously understeery, but a tweak makes the engineering come alive. Ask @StevoD how my old 6er drove as an example. 

The TTS was a very odd car to drive for me. The steering was extremely light and it didn't give much feedback to what the car was doing. Plus to say that it was 4wd it didn't give you much confidence to what it was going to do. You couldn't put it into a corner very accurately and trust it. 

I can only put it down to the front bias Haldex 4WD system. I had three rear bias 4WD systems over the years and they felt fine to drive in comparison. 

It is good to hear that the geo can make a big difference thanks. :thumbs:

15 hours ago, stevezzz said:

370 Nismo to Audi tt i would have thought gtr would be the choice?

lol nahhh its been 15 years admiring GTR from concept...I dont see the big deal anymore....I might rent one next year though...ive already spent £7000 on the Z in the last 12 months. Insurance, parts, petrol, payments....I think GTR will be more and theres no where to really enjoy the car.

I remember my older brother saying i couldn't afford it lol...if I was on a mission I would have financed one already....The ZED does a great job and I get to keep my license lol....I can see its no biggie for the American youth to lease a GTR at £xxxx.99 per month :lol:.....Not wise right now. Have to see how covid plays out. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

14 hours ago, Ekona said:

If you want a car that’s very quick but not exactly the nicest place to spend time, sure. TTRS isn’t much slower in the real world, that’s for sure. 

I also don’t think the TTRS is lacking character in the slightest. It looks the part, it goes the part, it sounds the part. TTS a different story, but still lovely place to be. 

I saw that on the draggy the GTR usually launches in 3.2-3.4 stock obviously very quick. The TTRS is around 3.7 and even quicker with a map....In terms of competition GTRs older tech, also rivals are quicker.

Regarding weight im not sure the TT is much lighter than a Z. Its around the same as the Z I think

Edited by GranTurismoEra

On 21/11/2020 at 23:09, Ekona said:

Did you ever get the geo done? German cars factory settings are notoriously understeery, but a tweak makes the engineering come alive. Ask @StevoD how my old 6er drove as an example. 

Was the equivalent of watching Gemma Collins mirror Tourvil and Dean, 

Edited by StevoD
  • Haha 1