New second-generation 2022 Subaru BRZ

neo

22 hours ago, Stutopia said:

The Yaris does promise a lot, albeit not technically inside the arbitrary 33k price set, without omitting the obligatory circuit pack. But even if it weren't, what are you advocating? Toyota should have put a turbo in the 86, so it can compete better with their own Yaris? Right now they're two totally different offerings, at quite different price points. Why would they place them both in the one slot? :shrug:

More broadly speaking there's a case that literally every single NA car in the world should be FI, but not all are. It can't be because all car manufacturers are too stupid to figure out boost = faster for same displacement. There must be other reasons, beyond being able to talk about 0-62 / quarter miles / bhp / torque / other pub chat metrics, for selecting different aspiration types on different cars.

It is what it is but thats just my opinion. The last generation was NA nothing wrong with that as that was 2013. The rumours circulating were that it would be a 2.4 with a small turbo since the last one had the torque dip and didnt feel as powerful as the ep3 apparently.

Each to their own I guess. Price points not much difference. Brand new 86 is around 30k depending where you go without the obligatory 4-8k discount some dealers are offering on demos and new cars.

Like I said before depends what you want. If a dealer are offering the same 86 with 1000 miles and 6k off thats a different convo to a GR Yaris. Circuit pack isnt a must as you could get a basic one and mod it years later if youre not tracking it. Just like Nismo isn't a must on the 370....

I get it, different strokes for different folks. Its not about comparing sizes its what youre getting for the money paid.

• 3 weeks later...

Its still irritating to hear a young inexperienced sales guy ripping it. When youre a german guy you probably cant understand the essence of NA lightweight cars.

He also said out of 12 test drives for the GR Yaris only 1 order was made. I dont know if its the low sales ability, the Yaris seating position or just joyriders checking out the hype lol

Ofcourse im a big fan of NA so I understand what @ekona means

I will book a test drive for both 86 and Yaris for the fun of it and let you guys know

Edited by GranTurismoEra

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 21:00, Ekona said:

I’ve driven a couple of BRZ86s and they’ve all put a smile on my face. Anyone who says they’re too slow and need more power just doesn’t get it. 

Oh really? :lol: 

I saw this new model was coming out, checked to see if it had at least 300hp and then got on with my life. Releasing a £30K "sports" car in 2021 with 228hp and 184 lb/ft is a travesty, at least the MX5 can get its roof down. Peak torque is at 3700rpm so its not really a screamer and when the biggest issued levelled at the outgoing model was lack of power youd hope they could have done *something* ..........

They arent fast enough to be track cars, are too pricey for a weekend toy, not practical as a family wagon and too bland to be considered exotic, unless youre dead set on a brand new car you could get a 2-3 year old M2 or Cayman for the same money. Take 10K off the cost or add another 100hp and thats a worthy look but these just sit in the middle of everything for me. 

For the record I also have a Toyota sportscar with a 2.0 N/A engine putting out about 210hp. Except its 20 years old, revs past 9K, has power to weight over 0.2 HP/KG and cost me a damn sight less than £30K, where the progress here? :lol:

Done a few road trips with Stu in his stubaru and his was pretty nippy enough on the B roads, faster than me, but Im slow as **** so no real comparison :lol:

I think a used price of £10k is a pretty good deal for the first gen, at £30k for that hideous looking thing above that doesnt give you both the grunt and the driving dynamics (when it quite clearly could!) seems a bit of a wrong 'un to me.

They scrapped the turbo idea to remain purist. I suppose they wanted to keep the 20 year old traditions so why change.The car is now level on performance with the mx-5 and got rid of the Torque dip apparently. With some turning youre hitting 350z territory in terms of acceleration

A bit like the 370 then. Only difference is its clear what its trying to be. An enthusiasts car. 

One thing I noticed is the grass isnt always greener. For example people complained about the 370 being thirsty. Then you look at m2,240i, golf rs and m4. They all do things better but the miles per gallon and insurance costs didnt change much in comparison to a thirsty NA V6. Driving style dependent. 

While I somewhat agree on the power front Japanese tend to be more conservative unlike the Germans who could release 6 models with similar power. 

We should be grateful they could still make an NA sports car

TBH I think the big problem is emissions, my 9K revving 2.0 wouldnt get past the regs these days or would have to be so strangled it wouldnt be worth it, they havent fitted it to anything since 2011 :( 
FI gets round these very neatly and gives a load more oomph as well, crazy NA cars are probably gone for good. 

I have remembered it is actually a 1.8 though so the previous point about not moving on stands up even more :lol: