Garage lifts advice please

stanski

After seeing Alex with his full on pro car lift, it reminded me how I always wanted to fit one in my garage.

After some eBay trawling I was surprised how almost inexpensive they are for what they do? I don't need a 20 tonne truck one 3 tonnes is more than enough for my fleet. 

I was looking at 2 post lifts but although I have a good concrete floor I have this fear of my life being in the hands of a handful of bolts in a floor? So I looked at the 4 post versions but they have full length runners which for me doing a lot of welding will be in the way? Then again they are huge and will get in the way in the garage.

Soooo it's looking like a scissor lift which is portable but hopefully stable? 

I do have an issue with the VW camper I can't lift it too high because of the roof beams however the cars are fine.

Does anyone else have experience of any of the lifts especially the scissor ones please? 

For a 2 poster, you usually need 6+ inches of concrete for it.

I've got one of these, Its a Platinum MSL3. It lifts the car about 6 foot in the air & is an absolute godsend. I dont know how I ever managed without it

LKpibFI.jpg

BMjKvWW.jpg

^^ Thats on the lowest "lock" setting :)

I paid a bit more for it than you can find them for on ebay, purely because theres a place that sells & maintains them 10 minutes from my house.

I've had it over a year now, I had 1 issue with it where it locked itself in the highest position but that was just a dislodged sensor that was quickly rectified :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ian said:

For a 2 poster, you usually need 6+ inches of concrete for it.

I've got one of these, Its a Platinum MSL3. It lifts the car about 6 foot in the air & is an absolute godsend. I dont know how I ever managed without it

LKpibFI.jpg

BMjKvWW.jpg

^^ Thats on the lowest "lock" setting :)

I paid a bit more for it than you can find them for on ebay, purely because theres a place that sells & maintains them 10 minutes from my house.

I've had it over a year now, I had 1 issue with it where it locked itself in the highest position but that was just a dislodged sensor that was quickly rectified :)

Thanks for that info. Doesn't take up much space does it? Is it single phase do you need a heaver fuse like 16a?

After spending most of my adult life having to do repairs on my back or side of the road thought it was time I treated myself to some garage comforts before I give up all this stuff.

I just measured the garage there is a 4 post option that fits nicely but it would be 2 weekends faff making space for it and if I felt like it changing the roof beams to give me more lift roof for the VW T2. 

Doesnt take much space at all & has a 3 tonne weight limit so good for lifting most things.

Its on single phase & yup, just needed a 16a fuse fitting to stop it tripping the power.

The only thing that I wish I had done was to sink the ramp into the floor so that its flat and easier to get a car onto it. Reversing any rwd car with semi decent power whilst living in the wettest country on earth is a challenge when going up and over the ramp.

i love it though, its by far one of the best things I have ever bought. After years of working outdoors and under gazeebos, to have a garage and a ramp is a massive culture shock :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian said:

Doesnt take much space at all & has a 3 tonne weight limit so good for lifting most things.

Its on single phase & yup, just needed a 16a fuse fitting to stop it tripping the power.

The only thing that I wish I had done was to sink the ramp into the floor so that its flat and easier to get a car onto it. Reversing any rwd car with semi decent power whilst living in the wettest country on earth is a challenge when going up and over the ramp.

i love it though, its by far one of the best things I have ever bought. After years of working outdoors and under gazeebos, to have a garage and a ramp is a massive culture shock :lol:

Thanks I will take a serious look at those.  Thinking how I can change the roof beams in the space where the van would go? If I take out a foot or so and redo them differently it would make all the difference? Knowing my luck the roof will sag...

Edited by stanski

As you can see the beams will need to be changed to create a larger gap.

Not sure I can be bothered for the gain?

The van is quite high off the ground but the Beetle isn't and that's my long term project, well since 1990 actually when it went off the road. :blush:

Excuse the mess I do a lot of woodwork/DIY.

IMG_20201118_165036929.jpg

IMG_20201118_165123015.jpg

1 minute ago, stanski said:

As you can see the beams will need to be changed to create a larger gap.

Yep - they're gang nailed timber trusses - DO NOT CUT BITS OUT under any circumstances :)

... but I'm sure you knew that

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ATTAK Z said:

Yep - they're gang nailed timber trusses - DO NOT CUT BITS OUT under any circumstances :)

... but I'm sure you knew that

Haha naaa I would have to bolster the other beams and replace with thicker angled beams before removing those. 

It's not a deal breaker still looking at my options. My knees are worth saving but cold concrete floors are no fun.