New cars banned from 2030...

AMT

... Or so they say. I'm not sure how they would do this. The jobs that would likely be lost as I dont think thats enough time for car companies to switch over all their line up.  It would just render companies unable to sell surely.  Used cars would probably increase as people may want them more.  The world could be a bleak place for car people in the future... Sooner than we think too it seems.  Whats your thoughts.. Will it happen? Lol

http://news.sky.com/story/new-petrol-and-diesel-cars-banned-from-sale-after-2030-under-governments-green-plan-12135084

Someone pointed out to me however automakers might try to work round this by just doing hybrids... Just depends how the government see that or are they trying to ban all forms of petrol and diesel combustion. 

Edited by AMT

According to the Times, Hybrids would be banned 5 years later after Diesel and Petrol.  No mention of trucks I notice - some of the worst polluters.

I don't see this working in that timeframe. Not unless the car manufacturers are going to sell for an equivalent price.  Unless taxed off the road, people will just hang on to the petrol/diesel cars that are available on the used market.

Also - a decision for 10 years away?  It's not like the government can stick to a decision for more than a few weeks before reversing it in the fact of actual facts and logic.

Edited by galaxyg
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, AMT said:

... Or so they say. I'm not sure how they would do this. The jobs that would likely be lost as I dont think thats enough time for car companies to switch over all their line up.  It would just render companies unable to sell surely.  Used cars would probably increase as people may want them more.  The world could be a bleak place for car people in the future... Sooner than we think too it seems.  Whats your thoughts.. Will it happen? Lol

http://news.sky.com/story/new-petrol-and-diesel-cars-banned-from-sale-after-2030-under-governments-green-plan-12135084

They are going to need one hell of an infrastructure to charge all of these cars. Given that CV-19 has screwed our economy and racked up massive debt it will be interesting to see where the money will come from to pay for the infrastructure.

• Like 2

The implications for this are mind boggling, but with so much of this current governments polices its knee jerk and poorly thought through. You cant just pick a number out the air in a panic, why 2030? Because the number 30 seems to sound nice? What actual business modelling has been done to determine that this is viable? 

Millions of road users never use the motorways, rendering using the motorway charging network useless. Similarly millions do not have ability to charge at home. In the borough of Richmond there are 262 charge points, in a borough of 185,000 people. Many of those 262 charge points are replacing on street parking bays so its simply not a case of scaling up either. 

Then of course is the revenue issue, billions paid by fuel duties, by companies that operate in the fuel industry etc. that needs to be covered. Pay by mile is a good idea but who will this hit hardest? The wealthy EV owner who pays no fuel duties, or the mobile car mechanic scraping a living, living out a 7th floor flat who is paying fuel duties because their used £3k van is affordable whilst the £80k EV one isn't. Lets not kid ourselves, there is not going to be a thiving used EV market come 2030.

The important bit really is that we become a green energy producing country first and foremost, we live on an island surrounded by moving water and high winds how we have managed to stumble into 2020 without having at least half our energy generated by this is a crime in itself. 

• Like 3

Maybe too much time and money being spent on missions to Mars

What's the point?

Money well spent?

This is criminal imo

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-scientists-help-nasa-answers-the-questions-was-there-life-on-mars

Since its inception, the United States has spent nearly US$650 billion on NASA.

5 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

What's the point?

Money well spent?

This is criminal imo

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-scientists-help-nasa-answers-the-questions-was-there-life-on-mars

The NASA thing has always been a look at us you pesky Russians and how can the private contractors make a tonne of money from the US Government for the long term? Of course there is the hope of mining precious minerals and all that cheese that makes up the moon.

But none of this is important when you see the obscene amounts of money people like this make and the Government pays it?!!!

http://BBC News - Go-between paid £21m in taxpayer funds for NHS PPE https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54974373

43 minutes ago, coldel said:

The implications for this are mind boggling, but with so much of this current governments polices its knee jerk and poorly thought through. You cant just pick a number out the air in a panic, why 2030? Because the number 30 seems to sound nice? What actual business modelling has been done to determine that this is viable? 

Millions of road users never use the motorways, rendering using the motorway charging network useless. Similarly millions do not have ability to charge at home. In the borough of Richmond there are 262 charge points, in a borough of 185,000 people. Many of those 262 charge points are replacing on street parking bays so its simply not a case of scaling up either. 

Then of course is the revenue issue, billions paid by fuel duties, by companies that operate in the fuel industry etc. that needs to be covered. Pay by mile is a good idea but who will this hit hardest? The wealthy EV owner who pays no fuel duties, or the mobile car mechanic scraping a living, living out a 7th floor flat who is paying fuel duties because their used £3k van is affordable whilst the £80k EV one isn't. Lets not kid ourselves, there is not going to be a thiving used EV market come 2030.

The important bit really is that we become a green energy producing country first and foremost, we live on an island surrounded by moving water and high winds how we have managed to stumble into 2020 without having at least half our energy generated by this is a crime in itself. 

You are spot on.

Currently the people who are using the roads are the delivery drivers working as self contractors to Amazon or Hermes etc etc all the stuff we can't go to the shops for due to lockdowns and so on.

They will.probably have to buy or lease expensive ev vans because the town centres will be no go zones for petrol or diesel. 

So it will boil down to a class system based on wealth again. 

52 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

What's the point?

Money well spent?

This is criminal imo

This is some world class whataboutery. Impressive.

• Haha 2

I also note that I'm pretty sure our power stations only provide barely more electricity than we actually use... So imagine (even with renewable stuff) how much strain trying to go all out electric would be.  Ill be honest I HATE electrics cars. Been in some and nope not for me.  Id even accept hybrid as long as some form of combustion was alongside it.  I am not a 'go green' person and happy to say so lol burn those fuels til last drop.... Lol I just dont think... As noted in comments above.. Its a realistic timeframe. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coldel said:

Just offshore from near where I live is a huge wind farm, which, you would think, would provide a big (environmentally friendly) contribution to the national grid . Well, these were often seen to be not spinning (I.e. generating electricity). When asked why the answer was they can’t operate if it isn’t windy enough, fair enough you may think, but also they can’t operate if it’s too windy! WTF! Surely in this day and age there is technology out there to allow these to operate at variable speeds?

• Haha 1

Im sure there is a very good reason for windfarms either spinning or not. There is a whole economy behind it all, agreed delivery of energy at agreed pricing. If you had agreed to sell 100 loaves of bread to a client, would you bake 200 just because you can? Despite the myth, green energy is not free, it costs to generate it, what it actually is, is renewable. 

NASA has been a big spend, but its in our nature to explore. If the human race had just sat happily in its little mud hut thousands of years ago and not worked out how to build boats, the wheel, so on and so forth where would we be now? Amazing what NASA has actually invented as well that has changed the world, from the tech to put cameras into smart phones to CAT scanners to LEDs and accelerating the development of the personal computer. Even the docking technology used for docking with the ISS was ultimately turned into LASIK which is now used for laser eye surgery. Incredible feats of human advancement really. 

Anyway, EVs, they will be forced on us. But its a good thing for the environment. What it isnt good for is what we all love, driving enjoyment. The noise, the smell, certainly I love lightweight cars, everything really that we love in cars will become classic, so enjoy it whilst you can!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Exploring space is massively important imho, I cannot wait to sit there in front of the holotelly and watch us land on Mars. It will unite us all in the way the moon landings did I think. 

Also, f*ck electric cars. 

As a kid in the 70s it was a massive thing every single rocket launch. Now they only seem to make the news if they blow up or break.:thumbdown:

Oh well let's sit back wait for the next big thing and then wait for the tax on top of it?

Edited by stanski