Yet another option to kill off motoring - the Dystopian thread

stanski

https://mol.im/a/8951969

I really hope there are enough ordinary people left in government who don't live in London and can't use public transport and can't afford to be driven around to see this as madness?

What will they do when everyone turns super green and cycles everywhere. What will they find to charge us with then? How many wheel rotations or the size of your pedals?:surrender:

Otherwise it's time to get the biggest engined largest valved gas guzzlers and just pay for the distance you drive.:lol:

A) Seems pretty inevitable given the push to force the entire nation to go electric sooner rather than at all. How else are you going to make up for that ~2% of the national income?

However,

2) There's just so many reasons why it will never happen, that it won't happen. Not overnight at least.

• Like 1

They don't actually want you to buy cars anymore just lease them like everything else bleeding mobiles started all this stuff!

It must be a finance bods wet dream, keep paying for something you will 

never own and if you scratch it or break anything they charge you for that also. It's genius until there is a pandemic, recession or cars restricted from entering cities. :surrender:

• Like 1

Well i have an Electric car which i use in town running grandkids to school,nursery and doing hospital and shopping trips for family members.I have had it nearly three years and it has cost me nothing to tax nothing for fuel and is great to drive in town ,great turning circle,quiet and has needed nothing but tyres and wiper blades.

I had until recently a 350 which i used for week ends and days away for me and the missus.I am a car person and love a sports car and will have another when we can once again go somewhere.

So i think it's horses for courses,long distance in electric is a slow process as charging is slow and chargers too few and far between (at least where i am)to make it a relaxing trip,but no doubt it would help pollution in cities.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

The street lights outside maybe :lol:

They keep saying streetlamps might be used as charging points maybe that's what they mean? Of course your countil bill will shoot up!

I have nothing against leccie cars they are not evil they are a quick fix solution to manufacturer reactions about climate change etc but for me at the moment not what I want. There was no reason for the oil industry to change until they got the kick up the backside but this isn't the issue with my post, it's the fact that the government always target motorists for some form of tax. If we get hover boards they will find some way to charge for that too.  Life is pay as you go and they sodding know it.:snack:

8 hours ago, formatzero said:

Well i have an Electric car which i use in town running grandkids to school,nursery and doing hospital and shopping trips for family members.I have had it nearly three years and it has cost me nothing to tax nothing for fuel and is great to drive in town ,great turning circle,quiet and has needed nothing but tyres and wiper blades.

I had until recently a 350 which i used for week ends and days away for me and the missus.I am a car person and love a sports car and will have another when we can once again go somewhere.

So i think it's horses for courses,long distance in electric is a slow process as charging is slow and chargers too few and far between (at least where i am)to make it a relaxing trip,but no doubt it would help pollution in cities.

My daily is a diesel Evoque, but a few times lately I’ve had a hybrid hire car (for work) and even though it’s not been a car I would normally even take a second glance at, for  round town and chauffeuring the grandkids I’m considering the possibility of one next to replace the Evoque. Don’t think I’d ever (well certainly not in the near future) go for a full electric car

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davectr said:

My daily is a diesel Evoque, but a few times lately I’ve had a hybrid hire car (for work) and even though it’s not been a car I would normally even take a second glance at, for  round town and chauffeuring the grandkids I’m considering the possibility of one next to replace the Evoque. Don’t think I’d ever (well certainly not in the near future) go for a full electric car

They are only giving hybrids a 5 year extension before they get the chop too? They expect people to have deep pockets to be able to chop and change based on the flavour of the month policies but most of us can't. Realistically I should sell the Stang now, get my old Beetle on the road and pop pop pop along in that at least I won't have the massive loss on the Stang in 10 years time when nobody will want a 5 litre V8?:surrender:

I don't think you'll lose money on interesting ICE cars, in fact decent low mileage exotica will probably go up in value. At least I'd advise hanging on to really old stuff.

Also look out for home rule for Yorkshire (and we might let you join us @stanski) with passports required to get in or out ;) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ATTAK Z said:

I don't think you'll lose money on interesting ICE cars, in fact decent low mileage exotica will probably go up in value. At least I'd advise hanging on to really old stuff.

Also look out for home rule for Yorkshire (and we might let you join us @stanski) with passports required to get in or out ;) 

Haha I have no intention to sell the Stang just the Rover needs to go. Too many cars.

But will they let me in to Yorkshire with my Lancashire passport?:lol: My other half is from Leeds way, so I might be able to apply for dual citizenship worse case? A 5 litre V8 in Yorkshire is normal isn't it? 

• Haha 1

Once they stop taxing cars for CO2 and NOx emissions they will start taxing them for iron and rubber particles emitted from brakes and tyres respectively. Something which is also present on electrical cars. These are much larger in diameter than exhaust emissions particles and somewhat as harmful towards air quality. So I expect to see the tax system changed to this by the time we’re all supposed to be electric. No escaping it unfortunately and of course it will all be our fault for driving electric cars then (despite people trying to be green and following government recommendations/tax incentives). 

• Haha 1

Too many old people who just use electricity to make their tea and watch Eastenders who would complain about paying more for their leccy though.

Really the only solution is to charge people who use the roads for using the roads based on how much they... well, use the roads really.

Of course blanket toll roads overnight would be a similar political suicide so I maintain it won’t just happen in one day.

The fast charger tax is an interesting one though.

• Sad 1

• stanski changed the title to Yet another option to kill off motoring - the Dystopian thread