Time For A Change. New Whip.

Stutopia

I am coming up fast on 4 years with the BRZ, which was about the same time I got itchy feet in the Zed. This time I decided to break from tradition and went for something without a Z in the name, also something not from Japan. I know, I was surprised too...

Please give a warm welcome to Heinz, The Baron, Krauss von Espy (we might come up with a shorter name in due course) from Stuttgart. A 2014 Cayman GTS with PDK; and a couple of other choice (if I do say so myself) options - Porsche Torque Vectoring and the Sports chassis. Naturally, being the GTS, they throw in the Sports Exhaust and Chrono Pack for "free". Arriving just yesterday (I even reversed it off the transporter, that was no fun) I've only had a chance to do a few hours behind the wheel, but I can tell already that we are going to get on famously.

IMG_8134.jpeg

IMG_5505.jpeg

IMG_8142.jpeg

The weather was grim, so I hope some moody ones make it look a bit less grey.

IMG_5513.jpeg

IMG_5517.jpeg

IMG_5519.jpeg

IMG_5522.jpeg

IMG_5534.jpeg

Aside from the fact it's about 5 times more car than I have the talent to exploit, it's the city driving enjoyment that has surprised me the most, so far. The PDK is a dream in town, pootling about, at low revs, with the occasional throttle squeeze to work into traffic. Even with the 20mm drop and the 20 inch rims, the ride is night and day from the BRZ. The level of refinement indoors, it's a different ball game too - but then, it should be. The only low point is the paint is not great, a number of chips and a bigger number of swirls need attention. Back to the positives, I have had a chance for some more spirited enjoyment, wow, it moves! I thought it was fast in regular but Sport and Sport Plus are just mental. And the noise OOOOOOHHHHH THE NOISE!

Hope you don't mind me pic whoring too much :teeth: - as you can probably tell, I'm rather excited. 

• Like 18

Thanks all for zee warm welcome.

3 hours ago, HEADPHONES said:

"Only managed a few hours behind the wheel"........but from those pics it looks like they were QUALITY hours.

Carand the photos look superb:thumbs:

Spent most the time scared TBH :lol:

2 hours ago, Ekona said:

That laugh :lol: 

Now give us a drive by, you tease!

I have been looking for an excuse to try out the new mic for my DSLR...

1 hour ago, stanski said:

Excellent congratulations when are you starting up your YouTube chanel? :D:drive1

I do have a channel, but it's more a tool for sharing stuff with you lot than an actual attempt to court viewers!

https://www.youtube.com/user/sasontheroad/videos

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SuperStu said:

I have been looking for an excuse to try out the new mic for my DSLR...

I do have a channel, but it's more a tool for sharing stuff with you lot than an actual attempt to court viewers!

https://www.youtube.com/user/sasontheroad/videos

Excellent stuff! I was going to start my own to cover old classic car fixes but everyone is doing it and nobody will be interested so I didn't bother.:D

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Turns out that every car you drive needs at least some mods...

I've never really been that happy with the huge gaping recesses in the front bumper. Whilst they look mean, they hoover up leaves and road debris for fun - this just leads to rotten radiators and big bills from Stuttgart, so I took the plunge and got a full front end set from Zunsport.

IMG_8984.JPG

IMG_8983.jpeg

They're very subtle and fit nicely. If I wasn't so lazy I could have got some sheets, cut it to fit and mounted it behind the gaps, rather than in front. It probably would've looked better but I'm not that keen on the trial and error test fitting, improvising mountings and inevitable corrosion. Hopefully these proper ones will be good for many years.

The buffoon who fitted the original number plate didn't use doublesided and manage to screw it on wonky, needless to say, I couldn't live with it. Turns out I couldn't live with the plate plinth either, so I've gone vinyl and I must admit it, I rather like it.

IMG_9034.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 year later...