Difficulty going from 1st to 2nd especially when cold

Loki

Hey thanks for reading.

As the title says, I'm a new proud owner of a 350Z and having a bit of bother when changing between 1st and 2nd, it's worse when cold. I don't get any crunching when changing, it more like a metallic clink feeling in the gear stick, like I've disengaged the clutch just as the gears teeth meet and can feel them clink together (it's a bit like when trying to get reverse and teeth don't line up and you need to roll forward a little).

All other gear changes are fine and smooth even cold, though I'm not sure when or if it's ever had a new clutch.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated

I think this normal mate!  just let it warm up my civic type r was the same as is my 350z I saw in the history early on with mine they took it back to the dealer and was told everything was ok :) I used to have an alfa gtv6 that was the same as are many ferraris etc you just need to have some mechanical sympathy imo

3 hours ago, stevezzz said:

I think this normal mate!  just let it warm up my civic type r was the same as is my 350z I saw in the history early on with mine they took it back to the dealer and was told everything was ok :) I used to have an alfa gtv6 that was the same as are many ferraris etc you just need to have some mechanical sympathy imo

Know what you mean, I have noticed that the Zed has quite a small window for getting a perfect gear shift. Just have to be a bit more deliberate with it I guess and hope speed comes with experience. Thanks for the help

8 minutes ago, Loki said:

Thanks for all the responses, it's a relief that it's common.

Would it be better to have the transmission fluid changed before adding the Molyslip? Is OEM fliud better or going for something more exotic?

I'm sure @ZMANALEX will be along shortly to answer your queries.

How's the change from 5th to 6th in respect of the synchro ? This can also be a problem and Molyslip deffo does help with that.

@ATTAK Z, not had any problems with 5th to 6th, but will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone, going to get it booked in for a service as soon as lock downs over. 

I do have a little tip for anyone with a similar issue, I've noticed it helps improve the gear change if I rev the Zed to over 3000+rpm in first, the throw is much smoother even when cold, been doing it for a few days now and it's transformed shifting.