Tyre dressing applicators

HEADPHONES

Seeing as I have noticed some discussion on this topic I thought I'd start a thread here for people to share their experiences.

I bought a set of 5 off Amazon in 2018

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Professional-Automotive-Dressing-Applicator/dp/B076BCKWZB

Gave 2 away.

I'm on my second one.

Even then it looks like it has plenty more use left.

Below is the old next to a new one.

Pros:

Compared to the washing up sponges I was previously using they are less messy as they have a firm yellow foam handle.

When used lengthways they're the perfect width for low profile tyres.

The curved profile at the ends provides a nice sharp edge for detailed application where the tyre meets the rim.

Less than a pound each.

IMG_20201108_112923.jpg

• Like 2

It depends what product I'm using, but I always go with either a detailing brush (clicky) or kitchen roll wrapped around the finger to spread it evenly (usually on lower profile tyres where the brush doesn't work so well).

Sponge based aplicatiors always fall apart sooner rather than later and open cell sponges will absorb more product than they spread, so I just don't use them at all any more. I have one brush that I've used for probably close to a 500 applications (complete guesstimate) now and it's still going strong, whereas sponges tend to last no more 2-3 dozen applications at best. Kitchen roll is usually a last resort for me though.

Just me...?  :lol:

PXL_20201108_150305633_MP.jpg.65575ce36ae35cad2dddaa36c321d643.jpg

I actually tried this for the first time today, and it was pretty disappointing.  I pulled the green abrasive sponge off following this picture, but it doesnt let much through.  I might be able to modify it for next time though...  in theory the concept's a winner. 

2 hours ago, HEADPHONES said:

In fact.......those liquid shoe polish things with a squeezy bottle and foam applicator at the end would be perfect....

IMG_20201108_174333.jpg

I was saying this at a meet last year :lol:

Ive been using a paint brush for years, a bit messy until you get the hang of it 

I use Auto Finesse Tyre Spot Pad. They last very well and you can use with or without the handy puck depending on the profile of the tyre you are doing.

A06104DE-8845-4AE8-AEF2-EE4909300E2A.jpeg.3f1a57f0394ce25030a51e5e12f26261.jpeg

One thing that makes me absolutely cringe is when I see someone using a dirty applicator. Absolutely defeats the object of cleaning the tyre in the first place and then just leaves a layer of black sludge on the tyre, then in most cases slings all up the car and in the wheel arch :doh:

Important to wash your applicator out, but depending on what tyre dressing you use sometimes this isn’t possible. 

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd piggyback on to here. Very thorough test, best I've seen. 

Why spend more than you need :shrug:

Gyeon Q2 tire

Meguiar's Endurance tyre gel

Auto Finesse Satin 

Optimum tyre coating

Autoglym high performance tyre gel

Turtle Wax Wet & Black

Sonax Xtreme tyre gel

TAC Systems Seal

and only one winner!!

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1