370z nismo mk1 rust spots

Neoncypher

Hi all, 

I'm after some advice where I stand with some small rust spots I have found on my mk1 370 nismo. They are low on the rear quarter panel, the seam where the plastic on the side skirt meets the metal. I have to push the skirt in slightly to see, so they aren't off stone chips, this is corrosion.

I don't know if this is relevant at all, but my car was one of the Nissan press cars at the time, featured in videos by Autocar and Auto Express - wondering if Nissan would have any sympathy there haha 

I'm the 3rd registered keeper, and it has FSH but only partially Nissan history. I read somewhere that the 370z has a 12 year anti corrosion warranty but I don't know if I have a leg to stand on not being the original owner and not having a full Nissan service history. The previous owner was a car detailer and kept it meticulously clean and sealed etc. In my ownership it has been garaged at night and cleaned/detailed regularly, so she's been looked after well. 

Any advice would be great

Cheers 
Edited by Neoncypher

On 03/11/2020 at 16:28, Neoncypher said:

Hi guys cheers for the replies

Here are some pics - It's on the bottom of the rear quarter where it meets the skirt. On the 2nd image I'm pushing the skirt inward to reveal the rust, which is why I haven't noticed it before. 

USxnVSr.jpg

vvLFHYz.jpg

This is not nice to see, i hope nissan sort this for you, i am interested in the out come of this issue 

this has got me paranoid :sweat:

another spot to look out for is at the front of the rear wheel arches, there is some sort of plastic cover, that rather tha keeping the dirt out just acts as a muck trap and get filled with all sorts of muck. Its easy to pull it out they way and clear all the crap out when you have the wheels off. I'll try and dig out the pics of when i tackled mine during the first lockdown

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dave_7 said:

this has got me paranoid :sweat:

another spot to look out for is at the front of the rear wheel arches, there is some sort of plastic cover, that rather tha keeping the dirt out just acts as a muck trap and get filled with all sorts of muck. Its easy to pull it out they way and clear all the crap out when you have the wheels off. I'll try and dig out the pics of when i tackled mine during the first lockdown

When I first got my 370, I cleaned that area out and I remember thinking that i was glad I’m in OZ as that amount of debris on a uk car would lead to rust. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dave_7 said:

20200426_134305.jpg.8dc5082ebd70c14be6c34415d609144b.jpg

this is mine after i treated the rust... followed by a couple of coats of rubberised paint and some underseal.

Would recommend having a look as its far easier to deal with at the early stages. 

Thanks for that mate I will have a look at the weekend. 

I haven't gotten in touch with Nissan yet, but I am waiting for a quote from a local bodyshop. I'll keep you all posted.

• Like 1

Got a quote back from the bodyshop - £1300 for the rust treatment/prevention, both rear quarters painting, blending etc.

Anyone recommend any reputable bodyshops in the North East area (or a bit further, willing to travel a bit) so I can get a 2nd quote? 

Talk to the Nissan garage that initially sold the car, then try again and speak to the management. Send the same email again but include any top brass (Google search em or ask about on this forum). 

If none of this works, then post photos of the car, the rust and screenshots of your emails to their Google reviews. 

Simples. 

• Like 2

On 14/11/2020 at 10:59, Umster said:

Talk to the Nissan garage that initially sold the car, then try again and speak to the management. Send the same email again but include any top brass (Google search em or ask about on this forum). 

If none of this works, then post photos of the car, the rust and screenshots of your emails to their Google reviews. 

Simples. 

Cheers for that mate - if you or anyone else has any names/email addresses for Nissan higher-ups please PM me.

I think you'll struggle with Nissan to pay for this under their corrosion warranty without a full Nissan service history. I battled with them for 2 years before they offered to pay for mine AND that was only because I took them too the motoring ombudsman AND mine had a full Nissan service history too.

Definately worth a try with your local Nissan dealer first though.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys - thought I'd give an update on this.

Went to my local dealer who had a look at it. They said they couldn't see any rust and that it was just dirt. That's when I had to show them they were looking in the wrong place. Anyway they eventually saw it, and sent their report to Nissan, who denied it almost immediately saying it isn't a corrosion issue. 

Having spoken more to my local body shop they seem to think that rust is the result of the two surfaces rubbing and vibrating against each other over the years, wearing down the paint and eventually causing rust. 

I raised this again with Nissan customer service, arguing that this happening on a very well maintained and cared for car after 7 years is ridiculous. Long story short, I was offered a small amount of money as a voucher to use at the dealership, so I'm going to get a proper quote from their body shop and see if their quote minus the voucher is cheaper than my local shop.

Judging by your struggle @Justthejedi, I think this may be the best I'll get.

When I was inspecting my arches and giving them a good clean I noticed they had kept quite a few things that were the same design as the 350z. One being what @dave_7 mentioned. That Black rubber bit that seals the front of the back arches. It is literally a dirt trap and as usual was FULL of mud. Secondly I noticed the amount of water that gets trapped between exactly where you said, between the rear panel and side skirts. I used the blow dryer couldn't believe how much trapped water came from that area. Another poor design from Nissan unfortunately. Shame these cars weren't under sealed from factory. 

• Like 1