Rust issue failed MOT [RESOLVED]

Valandile

Edit: Passed the MOT, thanks to @ZMANALEXfor the parts and to Simon from Nis-Tec garage in Swansea for taking this on and doing a great job. Spent 3 days drilling out all the bolts and doing other bits of work. Back on the road and loving the Zed again :teeth:

Hey all, had some bad news on my MOT and now I'm without my Z :( I'm not sure how this wasn't picked up in previous MOT's because there's no way this has rusted like this within 12 months. I would have changed this before it got this bad if I knew. I've tried searching for existing posts but I don't know the name of this part. I have a few questions if anyone can help as I'm a bit stuck.

1. What's the name of this part? (The W bracket/brace at the rear underside).
  2. Anyone stocking it or able to recommend a site? I've heard that getting car parts is difficult with COVID delaying shipping from abroad.
  3. Any recommendations of who can do this type of work in South Wales?
  4. Anyone had a similar problem? The MOT garage said they wouldn't do this type of work and they don't know how far the rust has spread.

brace.jpg

rear left.jpg

rear right.jpg

Edited by Valandile
Update

13 hours ago, Azurez33 said:

Rust won’t have spread any further just that panel and the braces usually go badly like that as zmanalex warned me! The brace and kidney braces are a fail the panel above it isn’t because it’s bolted to the body 

7CD1272F-2207-42A1-8B22-F3BA0AABC99F.jpeg

77247B7A-A917-4947-BC95-8648052C6D39.jpeg

85921576-9C8F-4785-A5D2-F7B6437BED75.jpeg

That's a relief to know it's been done, thanks for sharing the photos. I was a bit worried because the MOT station said they've never worked on a Z before so they have no idea how bad it is. 

Mind you it's the same where ever i take my Z all the mechanics say they've never worked on one before so it's always a new problem for them and they are all unsure. 

On 18/10/2020 at 11:11, Valandile said:

That's a relief to know it's been done, thanks for sharing the photos. I was a bit worried because the MOT station said they've never worked on a Z before so they have no idea how bad it is. 

Mind you it's the same where ever i take my Z all the mechanics say they've never worked on one before so it's always a new problem for them and they are all unsure. 

Haha no worries mate I was the same but then @ZMANALEX gave me the guidance and saved a massive pain in the butt 

10 minutes ago, Ian said:

I don’t think there are many decent garages in the area any more tbh :(  Certainly none that I would trust tbh

I've only ever found the one garage that I can trust for MOT and servicing but they are too small to take on any job that needs more than a day really.

I always bump into people who say "my mates got that car" and I've never found a mechanic that's said "I've worked on one before". 

I've seen you all driving around Cardiff, I imagine everyone has turned to DIY as you said Ian, lack of trust.

• 5 weeks later...

That's two garages in Cardiff that have turned down the job to replace the w bar and braces... going to try Niss Tec next and possibly Horsham Developments if Niss Tec turn it down. Couldn't find any other recommendations on here for South Wales. 

Am I going to have to say goodbye bye over some rust? :cry:

Jesus, it’s not a bad job at all, I was originally a bit worried to start with but honestly took me a couple of hours to sort the whole thing for @Monkey1983 , you should try telling them it’s literally about 4 nuts and 2 bolts to remove it and you only need to re fit the new kidney braces and w brace and you’re golden