awful rumbling, knocking sound from the front end all of a sudden?

mpturner1979

Hi guys, just after anyone's thoughts or previous experience.  yesterday my front left wheel developed a high pitched whining sound all of a sudden, I had a look on here and there were a few suggestions that it could be grit caught behind the brake disc in -between the thin protective plate, as I was due to fit some 20 spacers anyway, I had the wheels off, made sure everything was clean and greased, fitted the spacers and popped the wheels back.

When I got in the car this morning, the front end was making a terrible rumbling and knocking at very low speed (10/15mph) so I immediately turned back and removed the spacers I fitted the previous day.

Unfortunately, this didn't resolve the issue, I still have this terrible noise coming from the front end, no high pitched noise anymore (although I've not been over 20mph) but the car feels and sounds terrible. I could understand if this was an issue that had escalated over time, but this has come from nowhere  within a day????

does anyone have any thoughts? I initially thought wheel bearings, but can these go from okay, to fooked.....just like that??? 

appreciated any input,

cheers 

Martin 

From your description a failed wheel bearing does seem the most obvious problem, given you checked there are no stones between the disc and shield ?

Given what you have done, in the process did you check out if the noise was there with the car jacked up and turning the wheel + checking for play?  Might sound daft, but did you also (thoroughly) check the tyre(s) to see if there was any sign of potential carcass failure or something embedded  in the tread?

Otherwise, if you have a breakdown cover give them a call is about the best option I can suggest. :shrug: (Away from home of course;))

6 minutes ago, Ebized said:

From your description a failed wheel bearing does seem the most obvious problem, given you checked there are no stones between the disc and shield ?

Given what you have done, in the process did you check out if the noise was there with the car jacked up and turning the wheel + checking for play?  Might sound daft, but did you also (thoroughly) check the tyre(s) to see if there was any sign of potential carcass failure or something embedded  in the tread?

Otherwise, if you have a breakdown cover give them a call is about the best option I can suggest. :shrug: (Away from home of course;))

Thanks for that. So trust me, the noise is that bad it cant be anything tyre related, its far too bad, but I have checked them over and they are both fine.

I did check both sides while the car was jacked up, although I couldn't say there wasn't any play at all in the wheels, i certainly couldn't  replicate the noise be vigorously shaking the wheels, so it seems worse when under load?

thanks

just a quick update, ordered 2 new front wheel bearings overnight delivery which arrived first thing this morning, before I started the swap out, I just thought I'd look under the bonnet and check the nuts on the top of the dampers, sure enough, the centre 17mm nut on both were loose, one barely on by a thread, tightened both up, went for a spin, noise gone! :yahoo:

best return these wheel bearings and find something else to do with my morning now!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mpturner1979 said:

just a quick update, ordered 2 new front wheel bearings overnight delivery which arrived first thing this morning, before I started the swap out, I just thought I'd look under the bonnet and check the nuts on the top of the dampers, sure enough, the centre 17mm nut on both were loose, one barely on by a thread, tightened both up, went for a spin, noise gone! :yahoo:

best return these wheel bearings and find something else to do with my morning now!

I had a clunk over rough surfaces for months and replaced a few parts before discovering the top nut on the coilover was slightly loose as well :doh:

Just now, msitpro said:

I had a clunk over rough surfaces for months and replaced a few parts before discovering the top nut on the coilover was slightly loose as well :doh:

Gutted!.. I never would of guessed a loose 17mm nut could be the cause of such a racket?!?! it was awful!

...be sure to regularly check your nuts guys! :thumbs:

4 minutes ago, mpturner1979 said:

Gutted!.. I never would of guessed a loose 17mm nut could be the cause of such a racket?!?! it was awful!

...be sure to regularly check your nuts guys! :thumbs:

At least it was all my own labour and gave me an excuse to replace the awful fitting Energy Suspension compression arm bushings with Whiteline ones.

• Like 1