Cyclic droning noise when turning even a little bit to the right

galaxyg

My Z has been doing this for a long time but it took me a while to figure out the circumstances, i.e steering right. Any suggestions welcome. I am no mechanical expert.

So there's this low drone from the front of the car. Feels like on the drivers side but hard to tell exactly. 2 seconds on, 2 seconds off, over and over. Only when you turn the wheel to the right - even by 0.5 deg it's enough to activate the drone.

Turn left or go straight. No drone.

Occasionally when turning right, no drone.

Volume does not increase with speed of car or angle of turn.

2 second cycle does not appear to change frequency with speed of car or angle of turn.

I'm needing some new tyres shortly so I'll see what that does, but I have a feeling it's not them.

does it do it on idle? or have to be driving? have you had a look at power steering fluid? Zs are common for steering pumps/ racks because of well you know why, is it literally like some vibrating? Or  more of a rumble? Could also be potentially looking at a pulley of sorts 

3 hours ago, Azurez33 said:

does it do it on idle? or have to be driving? have you had a look at power steering fluid? Zs are common for steering pumps/ racks because of well you know why, is it literally like some vibrating? Or  more of a rumble? Could also be potentially looking at a pulley of sorts 

Nothing on idle, it has to be driving for it to happen. It does feel like a vibration.

Edited by galaxyg

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was tyres or a wheel issue. Particularly as you say they are worn.

If the tyre size allows it, maybe try swapping fronts to back and see what happens.

I had very similar with a previous car: sounded for all the world like an intermitent wheel bearing issue but it was the tyres.

On 10/10/2020 at 23:12, Azurez33 said:

Hmm interesting, could be a belt pulley potentially, ruled out wheel bearing with description, is there a change with temperature? like mornings cold etc

Tried it this morning, it's undetectable at lower speeds. New tyres being fitted on Wednesday morning, will test after that.

Edited by galaxyg

• 4 weeks later...