Bought my first 350z

hey everyone

just need some opinions on my question, so i have bought my first nissan 350z around 3 weeks ago, its an 04 plate DE 1 owner with 42k on the clock, been very well looked after, and i am really happy with the car.

The sound, the looks and performance is really impressive for a car this old, its a really raw car. The car is completely stock nothing has been done to it since its birth other than the maintenance which it has been maintained to a very high standard and i will continue to keep the car in top shape myself. 

I want to do a couple things to the car, first step is i was thinking of putting spacers on the car so my question is to other 350 owners, will putting spacers effect the cars ride or disrupt it in any sort of way? and what are the size recommendations for it?

I was thinking 25mm at the rear and 20mm to the front, is this a good idea as i dont want to effect the cars ride in a bad way

• Like 4

ello n welkom

Sounds like a star buy!! Ive had 15/20 spacers fitted for years, no concerns and ive had my car on track a number of times.

The ally spacers are lightweight too, you wont notice any adverse affects.

Thanks man, appreciate the response.

Have you modified your car ? i was thinking maybe in the future do the standard small stuff with an intake and probably an exhaust system but im in 2 minds whether to do that or not, as for now im just gonna get a set of tyres probably ps4s 

• Like 1

Hello and welcome.

I would skip the intake kit for now, unless you're going for a very good one because there is a lot of cheap and middle-range stuff on the market that look awesome but lacks a proper heat insulation and you can end up with the engine breathing warmer air than with the stock one, with loss of power instead of gain.

I've got the same car as you, a 04 DE, and fitted a Cobra sport exhaust with hi-flow cats and installed a plenum spacer, a k&n panel filter and put in the airbox the velocity stack that comes factory fitted on rev-up and HR models, plus obviously a remap. The car gained a bit of peak hp (the dynamometer shows 280hp at the flywheel but my car's got 144K on the clock, in your case should be some more) but you'll feel the real difference in the middle range, there it gained 18-20 hp.

Edited by steven.b
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, S5ammy said:

Thanks man, appreciate the response.

Have you modified your car ? i was thinking maybe in the future do the standard small stuff with an intake and probably an exhaust system but im in 2 minds whether to do that or not, as for now im just gonna get a set of tyres probably ps4s 

No worries pal, they're great cars with tones of scope for modification big and small. Done a few bits to mind over the years, mainly subtle engine and chassis tuning, exterior and engine bay mods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steven.b said:

Hello and welcome.

I would skip the intake kit for now, unless you're going for a very good one because there are a lot of cheap and middle-range stuff on the market that look awesome but lacks a proper heat insulation and you can end up with the engine breathing warmer air than with the stock one, with loss of power instead of gain.

I've got the same car as you, a 04 DE, and fitted a Cobra sport exhaust with hi-flow cats and installed a plenum spacer, a k&n panel filter and put in the airbox the velocity stack that comes factory fitted on rev-up and HR models, plus obviously a remap. The car gained a bit of peak hp (the dynamometer shows 280hp at the flywheel but my car's got 144K on the clock, in your case should be some more) but you'll feel the real difference in the middle range, there it gained 18-20 hp.

hey man.. ill take your advice on the intake for now, ill wait a while before i go for a really good high quality one, what sort of intakes could you recommend in the future? as i have witnessed to your point exactly as it happened to a friend of mine where he went for a middle range intake and it made his evo even worse. 

The cobra exhaust did cross my mind aswell as the tomei racing titanium y-pipe exhaust system i was looking at too. Also i was looking at plenum spacers on torqen website but not sure how i would go about buying one, im not sure which is a good kit for my 350. 

Thats seriously impressive if you're car is making 280hp at the flywheel with 144k on the clock, my car feels solid at the moment, im trying to find ways to modify it without going crazy on turbo kits etc and without ruining the value of the car, what i had in mind was like yourself possible plenum, exhaust system, break kits, tyres, intake and maybe an upgraded clutch kit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davey_83 said:

No worries pal, they're great cars with tones of scope for modification big and small. Done a few bits to mind over the years, mainly subtle engine and chassis tuning, exterior and engine bay mods.

thats what im looking to do start with the small stuff first, is there any pointers i should look out for in terms of common problems ? Correct me if im wrong but i've read that they tend to also burn alot of oil, how often should i keep on top of oil changes and is there any specific oil i can use to make the engine run smoother ?

cheers

26 minutes ago, HEADPHONES said:

Welcome to the OC:wave:

These 1 owner finds they some of you are getting sound unbelievable.

Definitely a lucky find.

Post up picks or I'm calling it a blag:p

yes it is a really good buy, the first owner has kept the car pretty much in the garage most of the time. Last year in June 2019 it was last serviced  and the car itself till today had only covered 1.5k miles since then. I had the car up on the ramp and there was alot of rust underneath which has all been rectified now, Just goes to show the first owner really didn't drive the car much. And yes i will post pictures up soon as im new to this website and still trying to figure out how to use this site, i did try to upload few pictures today through my phone and it wouldn't let me as the picture size was too big but i will deffo post pics soon  

Edited by S5ammy

18 minutes ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

Hi and welcome along buddy. Sounds like a cracking buy. But we need pictures.....:lol::thumbs:

Will deffo post some pics soon mate. It was a cracking buy and totally unexpected aswell, i originally wanted to buy an E92 M3 as that is my total dream car and im still going to achieve that goal, but this car just happen to cross my path and i couldn't let this go when i seen it. Will deffo post pictures soon

22 minutes ago, andy james said:

Welcome to the forum mate. Nice stock car.

20/25mm hub centric spacers will fill the arches nicely.

Thanks man really appreciate the support means alot, yeah i think i am gonna go for 20/25mm, i just think the small touches like that really makes the car stand out, i cant wait to put them on, i am thinking of making videos and possible POV videos and upload them on youtube 

• Like 1

hey man.. ill take your advice on the intake for now, ill wait a while before i go for a really good high quality one, what sort of intakes could you recommend in the future? as i have witnessed to your point exactly as it happened to a friend of mine where he went for a middle range intake and it made his evo even worse. 

The cobra exhaust did cross my mind aswell as the tomei racing titanium y-pipe exhaust system i was looking at too. Also i was looking at plenum spacers on torqen website but not sure how i would go about buying one, im not sure which is a good kit for my 350. 

Thats seriously impressive if you're car is making 280hp at the flywheel with 144k on the clock, my car feels solid at the moment, im trying to find ways to modify it without going crazy on turbo kits etc and without ruining the value of the car, what i had in mind was like yourself possible plenum, exhaust system, break kits, tyres, intake and maybe an upgraded clutch kit

Well, actually I don't know what intake kit works better on the 350 but in my opinion they're worth the money only if you're doing a serious NA build (exactly the same experience I had: a friend with an EVO 4 who went for a cheap one). The stock intake is already quite good.

The Cobra exhaust is good and sounds amazing, but have it installed in a garage that knows the business because sometimes the coupling flanges are not perfectly flat and may need a bit of adjustment, and use thick gaskets (I had an engine warning light after 300 miles and my local garage did 2 lambda resets with no result and wanted to start replacing the sensors. Then I've taken it to the guys at Horsham developments who took 30 seconds to find out that it was a leak of gases for the aforementioned reasons).

Edited by steven.b

20 hours ago, steven.b said:

Well, actually I don't know what intake kit works better on the 350 but in my opinion they're worth the money only if you're doing a serious NA build (exactly the same experience I had: a friend with an EVO 4 who went for a cheap one). The stock intake is already quite good.

The Cobra exhaust is good and sounds amazing, but have it installed in a garage that knows the business because sometimes the coupling flanges are not perfectly flat and may need a bit of adjustment, and use thick gaskets (I had an engine warning light after 300 miles and my local garage did 2 lambda resets with no result and wanted to start replacing the sensors. Then I've taken it to the guys at Horsham developments who took 30 seconds to find out that it was a leak of gases for the aforementioned reasons).

ok mate i will deffo keep that noted for when i do get an exhaust system. Really appreciate your input and experience from this thank you

• Thanks 1

Hello and welcome. :thumbs:

A very nice Z you have there for sure. B)

I have 25mm spacers all round on my 370Z and it still drives fine to me. I also have the Stillen gen 3 intakes(they look nice but I'm not sure that they do much though lol!). I really recommend HFC's and they really enhance the noise when matched to an aftermarket exhaust. I really love the sound mine makes with those changes. :D

Enjoy yours. :)

• Like 1

On 09/10/2020 at 19:37, Lee370Z said:

Hello and welcome. :thumbs:

A very nice Z you have there for sure. B)

I have 25mm spacers all round on my 370Z and it still drives fine to me. I also have the Stillen gen 3 intakes(they look nice but I'm not sure that they do much though lol!). I really recommend HFC's and they really enhance the noise when matched to an aftermarket exhaust. I really love the sound mine makes with those changes. :D

Enjoy yours. :)

Thanks man appreciate it. Thats good to know least i have a piece of mind now to not to worry about adding spacers, think the car really needs spacers and i probably will go with 25mm for the rear, and 20mm at the front, or i could just put 25mm to the fronts too depending on how the 20s will look. 

i've been told the stock intakes are good anyway but i will soon upgrade, the only thing is im not sure what takes as i dont want a cheap one lol. Will deffo put a sweet exhaust system on, the stock sounds pretty sweet but it just needs that extra grunt sound

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stanski said:

Welcome!

Zed looks mint and that's low miles for the age. Hope you enjoy it. :thumbs:

Thank you pal, i got really lucky with this one, it was literally just been parked for months and months on end before i bought it. The car had couple little issues when i had it but only due to it being parked up for so long, 3 weeks later the car is running smoothly now and im loving it. I think its a car i want to keep forever lol

Edited by S5ammy
  • Like 1

Thank you pal, i got really lucky with this one, it was literally just been parked for months and months on end before i bought it. The car had couple little issues when i had it but only due to it being parked up for so long, 3 weeks later the car is running smoothly now and im loving it. I think its a car i want to keep forever lol

Excellent hope you enjoy it. They are loveable bruisers wish I still had mine but family life meant 2 seaters don't work with 3! 

• 2 weeks later...