My first sighting of a Porsche Taycan!

stanski

14 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Does the Taycan have this half baked feature? Apparently they blocked it in the EU. Then people thought they could be smart by using remote desktop feature with 2 phones. It got patched straight away. Thanks to social media. It never fully worked anyway

A summon feature is people trying to run before they can walk. 

This is for the ultimate lazy ar#e people which lets face it there are lots of. 

Tesla must have a think tank somewhere and half of them must be under a certain age where they MUST have something that involves an App and a mobile phone. 

It'sjust to show you they can do something like this so when their cars are reviewed it grabs attention. For me if I had paid all that money for a car I wouldn't trust it or want it to do anything like that. Then again I work in the IT industry so I know how bad computer tech can be.

I have this idea of sticking a USB port onto loo roll and selling them on fleabay. I expect to make millions... now what shall I call the app? Ar#e-tech :lol:

• Haha 1

Im in I.T too, so im all for tech in the right places and within reason. Hence im not completely opposed to Electric cars but they have their flaws. Its just technology for the sake of being edgy and cool. The summon feature was probably thought about by some teenager 30 years ago. Someone just thought lets do it now the car can read traffic lights and signs as well as detect covert pedestrians.

Technology gives people the license to do dangerous things like this. Being in the US its probably a 1 hour cross county lines journey he/she slept through.

Screenshot_20201012_221903.jpg

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Im in I.T too, so im all for tech in the right places and within reason. Hence im not completely opposed to Electric cars but they have their flaws. Its just technology for the sake of being edgy and cool. The summon feature was probably thought about by some teenager 30 years ago. Someone just thought lets do it now the car can read traffic lights and signs as well as detect covert pedestrians.

Technology gives people the license to do dangerous things like this. Being in the US its probably a 1 hour cross county lines journey he/she slept through.

Screenshot_20201012_221903.jpg

Completely agree I worry about this fixation that computers and now (AI) will just fix everything. I suppose it's the same when they thought Science would solve everything in the 50s? 

They forget a car is a dangerous thing, it can kill easily so any sloppy tech or lazy programming with flaws rushed out to get ahead of the competition is incredibly dangerous, Boeing 737 Max a case in point.

I am not keen on autonomous cars but I can see their advantages to help people with limited mobility for example but I worry more about them being hacked and taken over?  Everything is hackable if you spend enough time and effort on it. 

I need to borrow Doogey Revs tin hat.:surrender:

Btw at which point in time did car manufacturers decide you shouldn't bother to close your own boot that a motorized boot is a must have? 

Victorian Stan steps off soap box.

Edited by stanski
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Does the Taycan have this half baked feature?

Porsche like the rest of VAG uses Mobile Eye tech, the Taycan I believe has the same driver assist features as the 2019 A8, and as per Porsche is fairly expensive non upgradeable option But that's not the USP Porsche commands a premium for.

Tesla on the otherhand apparently is about to do this....

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-limited-fsd-beta-release-date-elon-musk/

Our 2017 car is actually booked into Tesla to have essentially a whole CPU upgrade for both Autopilot computer and main user interface computer and will apparently than be able to access any of the 'Full Self Driving' features coming next year.

Whilst I have doubts about what Tesla claim about the self driving features, its the first car I have ever owned where the manufacturer has supported a full blown hardware upgrade 3.5 years post delivery!!!

The software integration Tesla offer is their USP, no other car manufacturer can come close. In no particular order these are just some of the software updates pushed to the car since I bought it.

1. Dynamic brake lights.

2. Phone app update allowing window opening/closing - surprisingly useful in summer when parked up and the sun is blazing.

3. Bluetooth integration changed so your phone doesn't switch to the cars speakers until you sit in the drivers seat so not to interrupt your phone call - am susprised how often its effected me.

4. Sentry mode - Dash cam for the car using its built-in cameras, auto records any collisions when stationery.

5. Geolocation for wing mirror folding - The ultimate laziness, the car will autofold mirrors for locations where width might be an issue.

If you are half interested in Tech Tesla really is a fascinating product to own. Am genuinely intrigued at how our car will be like post CPU upgrades. 

The approach Tesla has on car software/tech really is their USP versus the Taycan. Am not 100% convinced they are targeting the same demographic. I wouldn't sell our Tesla to fund a Taycan, I do want to own one, but it will along side the Tesla not as a replacement for it :).

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gangzoom said:

Porsche like the rest of VAG uses Mobile Eye tech, the Taycan I believe has the same driver assist features as the 2019 A8, and as per Porsche is fairly expensive non upgradeable option But that's not the USP Porsche commands a premium for.

Tesla on the otherhand apparently is about to do this....

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-limited-fsd-beta-release-date-elon-musk/

Our 2017 car is actually booked into Tesla to have essentially a whole CPU upgrade for both Autopilot computer and main user interface computer and will apparently than be able to access any of the 'Full Self Driving' features coming next year.

Whilst I have doubts about what Tesla claim about the self driving features, its the first car I have ever owned where the manufacturer has supported a full blown hardware upgrade 3.5 years post delivery!!!

The software integration Tesla offer is their USP, no other car manufacturer can come close. In no particular order these are just some of the software updates pushed to the car since I bought it.

1. Dynamic brake lights.

2. Phone app update allowing window opening/closing - surprisingly useful in summer when parked up and the sun is blazing.

3. Bluetooth integration changed so your phone doesn't switch to the cars speakers until you sit in the drivers seat so not to interrupt your phone call - am susprised how often its effected me.

4. Sentry mode - Dash cam for the car using its built-in cameras, auto records any collisions when stationery.

5. Geolocation for wing mirror folding - The ultimate laziness, the car will autofold mirrors for locations where width might be an issue.

If you are half interested in Tech Tesla really is a fascinating product to own. Am genuinely intrigued at how our car will be like post CPU upgrades. 

The approach Tesla has on car software/tech really is their USP versus the Taycan. Am not 100% convinced they are targeting the same demographic. I wouldn't sell our Tesla to fund a Taycan, I do want to own one, but it will along side the Tesla not as a replacement for it :).

Sounds like you are really enjoying your Tesla ownership experience. Good luck with the upgrade and don't get those gps folding mirrors scuffed ! :lol:

Maybe do a post tell us what your car is like post upgrade?:thumbs:

• Like 1

The summon feature outside of EU seems to work fine. Apparently some people in US are using it.

Thats great that they support the car 3 plus years after. Its important for customer retention. As opposed to saying 'end of life' just get an upgrade.

Will be interested to know how it is post CPU upgrade. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

CPU upgrades done, very impressive to have a manufacture support for such a major retrofit :).

The  car now has Netflix....

50549674958_7ec4bb4c19_c.jpg

Built in dash cam + 'sentry mode' using all the cameras around the car....

50547084817_fb8fb059fe_c.jpg

And some limited FSD 'beta' visualisation, its good enough to spot a motorbike sandwiched between two cars even at night!

50544421398_1e6792c704_c.jpg

The Taycan makes a strong case for itself as our next car purchase, but am a tech geek at heart, and Tesla has just set a new bar. Our car is over 3 years old, and literally now feels like a new car interms of user interface and future autonomous driving. I've never owned a car where the manufacture has provide so much support post delivery. 

Is there any chance Porsche will upgrade a 2020 Taycan to latest CPU spec come 2023?? I think we all know the answer to that!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, gangzoom said:

CPU upgrades done, very impressive to have a manufacture support for such a major retrofit :).

The  car now has Netflix....

50549674958_7ec4bb4c19_c.jpg

Tesla have some very cool and innovative tech fo sure, but some I don't get or see as pointless. Netflix being a prime example, I really don't spend enough time in a car to watch anything . . . and more to the point usually driving so you know . . just don't.

I guess it might be a winner if Netflix and Chill at the local dogging park is your thing :lol:

2 hours ago, DoogyRev said:

Tesla have some very cool and innovative tech fo sure, but some I don't get or see as pointless. Netflix being a prime example, I really don't spend enough time in a car to watch anything . . . and more to the point usually driving so you know . . just don't.

I guess it might be a winner if Netflix and Chill at the local dogging park is your thing :lol:

my brothers looks exactly the same but with black interior. At least you dont need to keep the engine running to watch Netflix! How much battery would it use for a 2 hour movie with heating on low to medium lol

The infotainment stuff is just a bit of fun, actually used it last weekend when waiting for my daughters Saturday activities to finish, and in between a trip to the park before swimming.

The extra CPU power is a secondary benefit of this crazy stuff which in coming to Europe soon!! 

With the new CPUs in the car even our 2017 X will be able to do this. The Taycan is a lovely bit of tech, I cannot see Porsche supporting a 2020 car with retrofits to make it bang up to date interms of CPU/software ability come 2023.

Edited by gangzoom

On 05/11/2020 at 01:07, GranTurismoEra said:

Whats this about full self drive costing £6800 or $10,000 in US. 

Its actually nearly £10k in the UK if you haven't already paid for basic Autopilot. Prices are apparently going up by another £2k soon!!

Tesla is clearly learning from Porsche interms of charging for options. Luckily our car is already speced for 'FSD', so its now just waiting to see much much EU regulators will allow the software to control the car before Tesla can push out the software in Europe.....I don't expect anything new interms of FSD software on our car till next year :(.

50523303047_160cd6e4a2_c_d.jpg

50549674688_2dda6c30e1_c_d.jpg

Edited by gangzoom
  • Thanks 1

On 02/11/2020 at 20:02, gangzoom said:

The infotainment stuff is just a bit of fun, actually used it last weekend when waiting for my daughters Saturday activities to finish, and in between a trip to the park before swimming.

The extra CPU power is a secondary benefit of this crazy stuff which in coming to Europe soon!! 

With the new CPUs in the car even our 2017 X will be able to do this. The Taycan is a lovely bit of tech, I cannot see Porsche supporting a 2020 car with retrofits to make it bang up to date interms of CPU/software ability come 2023.

Very clever stuff, although you would think they could teach it do drive in the correct lane. the beginning of that video the car was in the outside/middle lane unnecessarily and only using the right lane when a right turn was coming up 

Edited by DoogyRev
  • Like 1

^Upuntill now loads of people have said Tesla cannot achieve FSD without Lidar. Hopefully its not obvious LIDAR adds nothing cameras cannot do, the latest Tesla FSD beta software can 'see' everything we can, including speed humps and even road debris.

The challenge is how the car navigates the real world. Which is why Tesla have given a limited number of owners access to the software......Driving in on a one way road with tram lines and construction work going on? That is the kind of real world situation the car has to learn to navigate, and something you simply cannot replicate in labs or on closed roads.

Apparently these cars are uploading 15gigs of data back to Tesla every few days. How quickly the system now really learns real world situations is the key question.

• 2 months later...

^£78k for the spec I would order, seems like a lot but our Tesla was £72k back in 2017, and the Taycan has a 20% bigger battery.

Hard to call a near £80k Porsche 'cheap' but for a premium EV, it certain isn't over priced. I'm using my best man maths to see if we can justify one to sit along side the Tesla.

• Like 1

My brother wants to get the base Taycan in a few years. The model X Performance hes got now was £85,000. First one had to be sent back due to shoddy quality. The new one still has misaligned panels in my opinion but it is what it is. I like that they've used Mercedes-Benz parts on the interior. As you need some quality. He definitely doesn't drive it with confidence. Its babied so no launches or fast driving

Its a shame Tesla hire 4 eyes to QC their production cars.

Definitely not cheap the Porsche. Even used ones will still be around that price. Just stay off social media regarding complaints and breakdowns. 

Id give some time for them to iron out the issues and update the car. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Finally broke and looked at what a Taycan or a Model S would cost as a company vehicle with the current 0% BIK. 
£600 a month (I own the business so get the tax benefit too) and no fuel costs for an 80K+ car is verrrr difficult to ignore.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docwra said:

Finally broke and looked at what a Taycan or a Model S would cost as a company vehicle with the current 0% BIK. 
£600 a month (I own the business so get the tax benefit too) and no fuel costs for an 80K+ car is verrrr difficult to ignore.  

So what are you waiting for!!