My first sighting of a Porsche Taycan!

stanski

Whilst taking my daughter to school this morning I hear this odd noise behind me. Sounded like some chavved up sports car with a cheap eBay variable exhaust but no a Porsche Taycan flew past.

Ok amazing looking thing and menacing but honestly for a car at that excessive price point you thought the engineers had been watching 1980s sci fi or something?Worse it sounded like a Tamiya Remote Control car. Even my old RX8 sounded better and that was real engine noise - washing machine on fast spin.

Remember when you could buy bootleg voice overs for Tom Tom Satnavs like your favourite comedy voices ? I wonder if that will happen to electric cars? You will have mp3 files to download and make your car sound like a Maserati? I would go for Chittychittybang bang just for fun.:)

6 hours ago, DoogyRev said:

I have seen quite a few, all the trendy people in Vancouver drive them . .  and they are all about 18yrs old. They do sound weird, but look really nice B)

Sheesh how can 18 year olds afford such a car? Are they all YouTube annoyers?:lol:

Times have changed since dad gave me £400 to buy my first car 71 VW Beetle.:surrender:

Forgot to ask are you still glad you moved over there? Hope you are doing well.

Edited by stanski

1 hour ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Seen a few. Not much difference from a Panamera. Theyre okay. Think my brother still wants one but model x will have to do for now.

One or two people have had issues with theirs having to return to dealers. Nothing Porsche cant fix right...

Blimey you must live in the posh end of town :D We still have outside loos and steam as the public railway near me :surrender: 

I didn't see it again this morning so maybe its already broken down?

Although I admit its Range Rover Sport /Audi/Mercedes estate/BMW 5 series plus the odd Ferrari near where I live!

There's me with the Red Neck shouty car - fit right in. :drive1Should have seen the looks when I had my Datsun 100a on the drive.....

7 hours ago, stanski said:

Sheesh how can 18 year olds afford such a car? Are they all YouTube annoyers?:lol:

Times have changed since dad gave me £400 to buy my first car 71 VW Beetle.:surrender:

Forgot to ask are you still glad you moved over there? Hope you are doing well.

There are a lot of very wealthy Chinese here, a Taycan would be considered a cheap car for an 18th Birthday present :surrender:

As for me, 8 years later, no regrets, I think we have a much better quality of life than we would have if we stayed in the UK. I am still in awe of the beauty of this place . .  every day! 

P.S Don't come here you would hate it :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoogyRev said:

There are a lot of very wealthy Chinese here, a Taycan would be considered a cheap car for an 18th Birthday present :surrender:

As for me, 8 years later, no regrets, I think we have a much better quality of life than we would have if we stayed in the UK. I am still in awe of the beauty of this place . .  every day! 

P.S Don't come here you would hate it :lol:

I wonder if a nice Chinese family would adopt me, mentally I am 18 most days (younger actually) :lol:

Glad you are still happy over there, big step to take. :thumbs:

A mate of mine emigrated with his family to Vancouver somewhere, mostly for the skiing he loves it.

He had to come back after a few years because his wife was missing family, well that hasn't lasted long they both are desperate to get back there. 

I always wanted to visit Canada for the nature and scenery, maybe one day virus permitting. 

Not seen one in the flesh yet. In Porsche world the difference visually between a Taycan and a Panamera is vast!!! For me the Taycan is the best looking EV currently available, both exterior and interior nothing compares.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Seen a few. Not much difference from a Panamera. Theyre okay. Think my brother still wants one but model x will have to do for now.

One or two people have had issues with theirs having to return to dealers. Nothing Porsche cant fix right...

I've seen more Taycan in the last months than Xs and Ss combined.

Lovely looking cars, and probably the 'best value' Porsche on sale today. A decent spec 4S is only about £5k more than a Model S which is frankly amazing given the Porsche heritage.

I have my eye on one as our next car purchase in a few years time.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, gangzoom said:

A decent spec 4S is only about £5k more than a Model S which is frankly amazing given the Porsche heritage.

I have my eye on one as our next car purchase in a few years time.

Not sure how much they are in the UK, but here a 4S starts at $130K CAD up to $220K CAD for a Turbo S, that's a bit more than my budget :lol:

2 hours ago, DoogyRev said:

Not sure how much they are in the UK, but here a 4S starts at $130K CAD up to $220K CAD for a Turbo S, that's a bit more than my budget :lol:

From autorader. £86k - £170 frightening anyone can afford these. Probably more reliable than a Tesla.

I won't ever be able to afford it maybe a 10 year old Renault Zoe when they get to 10 years old.:lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Not seen one in the flesh yet. In Porsche world the difference visually between a Taycan and a Panamera is vast!!! For me the Taycan is the best looking EV currently available, both exterior and interior nothing compares.

They do look panamera-esk but more like something from UFO (1970s TV series Google it young uns) but sound very odd. Definitely road presence choose a nice colour.

8 hours ago, stanski said:

From autorader. £86k - £170 frightening anyone can afford these. Probably more reliable than a Tesla.

They are expensive but its a Porsche so expected. The base 4S with long range battery has enough range + speed for anyone. Add in a few options and you are around £93k. Its shed load of money but when a Model S is £88k with options and Model X near £90k+ the Taycan is actually surprisingly well priced.

We are not at a stage in life to fund one yet though :(. As they say if you have to ask how much you cannot afford it. But cars have always driven me to work harder, I'll have a Taycan on our driveway at some point, that's  a guarantee :).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stanski said:

Blimey you must live in the posh end of town :D We still have outside loos and steam as the public railway near me :surrender: 

I didn't see it again this morning so maybe its already broken down?

Although I admit its Range Rover Sport /Audi/Mercedes estate/BMW 5 series plus the odd Ferrari near where I live!

There's me with the Red Neck shouty car - fit right in. :drive1Should have seen the looks when I had my Datsun 100a on the drive.....

hahaha....North West London... its all finance and amazing credit. Makes dreams come true. If you can pay anything up to £3000 per month the possibilities

Lots of people around here put it as a business expense hence high amount of Trucks and SUVs

Not many cars you dont see no need to go to central. Ive seen F12, GTR Nismo, GTR, huracans, mclarens 911 Turbo S....

Theres a Bugatti Veyron in Wembley....also Topaz is local so you get GT2RS and co passing by on the 406

These are the local guys see them regularly. They live in the hills lol

Huge amount of Teslas, Kia Niros, Leafs etc around here too. Then you see a 370 or 350 and its breaking necks

dont forget car rental is up since lockdown and many people have friends in that area.

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, gangzoom said:

They are expensive but its a Porsche so expected. The base 4S with long range battery has enough range + speed for anyone. Add in a few options and you are around £93k. Its shed load of money but when a Model S is £88k with options and Model X near £90k+ the Taycan is actually surprisingly well priced.

We are not at a stage in life to fund one yet though :(. As they say if you have to ask how much you cannot afford it. But cars have always driven me to work harder, I'll have a Taycan on our driveway at some point, that's  a guarantee :).

Yeah thats the model my brother test drove but he wanted a 5 seater and felt it was a bit early in the lifecycle....Model Y will be around £40,000 apparently its smaller than the X

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gangzoom said:

What gets me how soon it took for people to get used to a car costing £20-30K thinking that was reasonable price? 

Now for anything particularly nice starting price point is £40K. Don't even look at Land Rover products even the so called bargain defender is silly money but they all go for the premium sector where the mark up is almost accepted. 

In my case buying the Stang second hand (1 year old) was a big deal and I paid nothing like the prices above, only because of inheritance I had I decided f** it life is short, always wanted one go for it whilst you can enjoy it. 

I expect EV's will be like laptops and smart tellys eventually they will depreciate quickly once there are enough on the roads and todays £90K Taycan will be tomorrow's Morris Marina because the battery and motor tech will be ancient 286 pc architecture! That blinkin Nawat Technology company better make good on its promises of cheaper better nanotube batteries or those poor kids will have to mine Lithium for the next 2 decades.:surrender:

hahaha....North West London... its all finance and amazing credit. Makes dreams come true. If you can pay anything up to £3000 per month the possibilities

Lots of people around here put it as a business expense hence high amount of Trucks and SUVs

Not many cars you dont see no need to go to central. Ive seen F12, GTR Nismo, GTR, huracans, mclarens 911 Turbo S....

Theres a Bugatti Veyron in Wembley....also Topaz is local so you get GT2RS and co passing by on the 406

These are the local guys see them regularly. They live in the hills lol

Huge amount of Teslas, Kia Niros, Leafs etc around here too. Then you see a 370 or 350 and its breaking necks

dont forget car rental is up since lockdown and many people have friends in that area.

Used to go North London a lot years ago, its a different world, I expect more so today.

There are people similar here you can tell its all PCP via their business tax deductible and why not if you get the chance to run a nice car on the company?

On the other side of the coin its always the same cars like they have zero imagination! You need a 350 or 370 zed in there just for variety if nothing else and they are cheap money by comparison.:D 

• Like 1

Yeah thats the model my brother test drove but he wanted a 5 seater and felt it was a bit early in the lifecycle....Model Y will be around £40,000 apparently its smaller than the X

Still £40K though how is the normal guy in the street able to afford that? EV's really need to be down with the £20K if not cheaper mark before the take up will be larger, regardless of naff fake engine noises :headhurt:

4 hours ago, stanski said:

I expect EV's will be like laptops and smart tellys eventually they will depreciate quickly once there are enough on the roads and todays £90K Taycan will be tomorrow's Morris Marina because the battery and motor tech will be ancient 286 pc architecture! 

Sadly that's unlikely to happen with used prices. Our X is now 3.5 years old, cost us £71k back in 2017, currently its still retailing for £50k used - sub £500/month depreciation which is crazy for a £70k+ car. A new one is now over £90k!!! So prices have gone UP not down :(.

I suspect the Taycan will loss very little in depreciation over the next 5 years, the Porsche badge alone will ensure that.

Cheaper EVs are out these days, MG, Kai, Hyundai, even the new Mini EV is cheaper than the petrol version.

But sadly Porsche has never been affordable for the masses, the Taycan doesn't change that.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

For anyone looking at electric dont be fooled by badges. The Kia Niro my mum got was car of the year and got very good reviews. I think its a Hyundai power plant too. Tesla realise their unique selling point has to shift from I got the first Electric that does.....to we have the best range.....its becoming tougher for them to have that USP. The guys always looking for new ways to adjust the usp on his cars

The used prices are about right. But you could also get a Tesla Model 3 2020 performance for around 50k. That will offer great performance and range.

Used prices of the marquees will remain good. Due to competition Tesla are driving in new refresh on the model 3 and S and a new smaller car they claim will cost £25,000 new

I expect this to be a common theme in the future with more competition lower priced EVs will be a thing.

The Taycan 4S or any entry level models will remain where they are youre right.

If Musk must go for volume he should hover around the 20-50k area. Anything above that may see people going for the bigger brands like Porsche as time goes on. Now theyve arrived

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gangzoom said:

Sadly that's unlikely to happen with used prices. Our X is now 3.5 years old, cost us £71k back in 2017, currently its still retailing for £50k used - sub £500/month depreciation which is crazy for a £70k+ car. A new one is now over £90k!!! So prices have gone UP not down :(.

I suspect the Taycan will loss very little in depreciation over the next 5 years, the Porsche badge alone will ensure that.

Cheaper EVs are out these days, MG, Kai, Hyundai, even the new Mini EV is cheaper than the petrol version.

But sadly Porsche has never been affordable for the masses, the Taycan doesn't change that.

Tesla's here in the frozen north as still not that common, probably explains why prices are holding and a model X is just hens teeth. Someone at school has one but I have seen it exactly 4 times in 6 months not that I am counting but it's a big white bird with open wings when it turns up and everyone stops to look at it.:lol: 

Those cheaper EV's are still not that cheap in my old fashioned eyes but depends if people want to take the plunge and here they still prefer to spend money on a nice petrol Audi or Beemer.

44 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

For anyone looking at electric dont be fooled by badges. The Kia Niro my mum got was car of the year and got very good reviews. I think its a Hyundai power plant too. Tesla realise their unique selling point has to shift from I got the first Electric that does.....to we have the best range.....its becoming tougher for them to have that USP. The guys always looking for new ways to adjust the usp on his cars

The used prices are about right. But you could also get a Tesla Model 3 2020 performance for around 50k. That will offer great performance and range.

Used prices of the marquees will remain good. Due to competition Tesla are driving in new refresh on the model 3 and S and a new smaller car they claim will cost £25,000 new

I expect this to be a common theme in the future with more competition lower priced EVs will be a thing.

The Taycan 4S or any entry level models will remain where they are youre right.

If Musk must go for volume he should hover around the 20-50k area. Anything above that may see people going for the bigger brands like Porsche as time goes on. Now theyve arrived

I see the EV's in the same way as mobile phones have gone? Yes Apple have the top spot for cost and prestige then you get your Samsungs and the rest, however they are accepted as credible alternatives even those cheap Chinese brands you never heard of before? I think EV's will too?

Isn't Dacia bringing out some Uber cheap EV to undercut everyone else soon?

I think the ranking of a manufacturer is getting watered down to the point where people just want a car 'thing' that is cheap and reliable and don't mind if the plastics inside are from a Kenwood Chef Circa 1978? The true car enthusiasts will still want the usual suspects but they will have to pay for it. I would love a Bentley but wont be able to get one and wouldn't touch a cheap early Continental GT which is now sub £18K on autotrader because I know its an expensive car with expensive parts that will go wrong and cost a bomb to keep running.

I agree with your view on Tesla, its all very well starting this EV lark off but times move forward and they need to keep ahead if they want to keep selling well? 

I said it before I see Hyunadai and companies like that offering what Datsun and Toyota and Honda did when they first got into Europe - well engineered cars with lots of kit included as standard, shame they didn't rust proof them but hey!

Does the Taycan have this half baked feature? Apparently they blocked it in the EU. Then people thought they could be smart by using remote desktop feature with 2 phones. It got patched straight away. Thanks to social media. It never fully worked anyway

A summon feature is people trying to run before they can walk. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Haha 1