2 Pack paint spraying. Advice please

stanski

I have decided to drag myself into the present age by having a go at 2 pack paint. I used Celly for years but as I already have 2 pack on my van decided to give it a go after hearing how well it goes on and no need for endless flatting down as with celly.

I also invested in a full air fed face mask with filters plus extra trap filters before the facemask filters and a full spray suit, taking my health seriously with this stuff I know its evil.

I have a mixing rule to get the proportions spot on and a few guns, my general purpose Devilbliss and a teeny Chinese copy for small areas such as air vents and for doing wheels (its an aircooled VW with awkward bits shall we say.)

Right so this stuff once you mix it, there is a set time before it sets, so its like araldite for painting? I think the pot life is 5 hours for the paint I have so presume I need to use that up or chuck it before then, ensuring I clean the gun well beforehand? 

When it comes to painting is there a specific technique that is different for 2 pack against celly? The paint I am using will be ready gloss single coat not base plus clearcoat. Consistency wise (not mixed any yet) is it quite thin or thick compared to celly and does it tend to run?  When you peel the masking tape away do you do it when its touch dry or wet for the final coat?

I am also trying out epoxy primer for the first time too rather than etch primer? Is that good?

Did some research online and watched some youtube videos but you can't beat someone who has used it for advice? 

I don't intend to do this for a business, so I wont be going mad, its just to get my classics back on the road, in time for electrification! :surrender:

Any top tips gratefully received, thanks in advance. :)