Anyone planning on getting the iPhone 12 ?

ATTAK Z

Potentially yes, but I want to get my hands on one first. I have an 8 Plus so the 12 Pro Max is what I’d be looking at, but it would need a much better camera than the 11 PM (which I’ve tried and decided it wasn’t enough of an upgrade) and a significantly better screen as well. Otherwise I might as well carry on with what I’ve got now. 

I base my iPhone upgrades purely on the improvements of the camera. looks to me there is not much difference between the 11pro I have now and the 12. I do like that they are going back to a flat bezel more like the original iPhones. 5G I am not that bothered about, I work from home so my cellular usage is very very low, and who wants to stream a movie on a phone when you have a big telly in the room next door :lol:

54 minutes ago, Ekona said:

The Pixel 5 is a very bizarre phone, it already looks underpowered and underspecced compared with the alternatives. Why that over anything else? 

Because I don't like Apple stuff and I only use my phone for net surfing and controlling my smart house.

Also irrespective of hardware specs, the software is what makes it a great phone.

Only cost me £599, as opposed to nearly a grand for the top end phones. Also get a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 35 ii headphones for free with it.

Edited by The Bounty Bar Kid

1 hour ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

Because I don't like Apple stuff and I only use my phone for net surfing and controlling my smart house.

Also irrespective of hardware specs, the software is what makes it a great phone.

Only cost me £599, as opposed to nearly a grand for the top end phones. Also get a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 35 ii headphones for free with it.

Sounds like a good deal! :D

After apple trashed my iphone 6 with a software update years ago and nobody could fix it I gave up on apple stuff and never looked back!

I went back to Motorola (yes Lenovo now) but had their cheapo G series ever since and happy. 

Currently a Moto G8 Plus that came out this year £220 bargain, does what everyone else does, great sound and camera (for my needs anyway) and I don't watch films on it why wreck my already wrecked eyes on a small screen.

Moto G6 Plus before that which is now my daughters but I keep reminding her its still mine so look after it. :wacko: 

Coincidentally we got her an Ipad Pro this year just installed IOS 14 on it last night, against my better judgement but she was insistent, today nothing but messenger works apparently. Kids eh! Apple eh!

I have an XS which will be at the end of its 2 year contract soon, will be sticking with it and go SIM only for as long as I can make it last, it really is a brilliant piece of kit and can imagine its a fair bit cheaper now.

Edited by coldel

2 hours ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

Which makes it an even odder choice, given the massive range of android phones out there. I can understand wanting Android over iOS if that’s what you like (I myself cannot get on with android at all), but the slower processor is likely to hold it back significantly compared with the competition, even if you take into account less OEM bloat ware. 

If you only use your phone for web surfing and home integration, then why bother even spending £600 on one? Not sure I would even contemplate that myself, but each to their own. 

Edited by Ekona

It's a mid range phone at the end of the day, but has constant updates from Google. The one thing I believe Apple do well is make a phone with software that matches it well. Hence going for a google one, it'll work smoother than another brand. I have a low end Android Samsung work phone and it's poop. Always disliked Samsung phones despite loving their other tech stuff.

OnePlus are the best Android phones IMHO. I've had Apple, Samsung and OnePlus and it's really the best of the three for me.  Pixel have some awesome tech that's actually streets ahead with their radar facial recognition but the phones are generally under market spec and should push the standard features users expect a bit more and then Pixel would be a really serious contender.

IOS is OK but Android is a more intuitive, flexible and powerful platform.  You just have to relearn a little after being Appled.  Once this happens you'll never look at Apple again.

I think both OSeseses have their strong points, neither is easier to use than the other: It boils down to what you’re used to. Android is more flexible yes, and it always will be, but it’s also less stable because of that. Doesn’t make it bad, far from it, it’s just the nature of the design and Apple have worked hard to make newer IOS releases far more intuitive as they did lose their way a bit a couple of years back. 

Very true they do both have their merits and people will have their favourite.

I think they all now have a much harder time justifying new phone releases as the pricing is ridiculous due to the feature war driving the need for such high end hardware specs.

Going back to your original point though Dan now that they are using high end camera sensors in phones it's becoming much harder to define a difference to the human eye and hence justify a step up that way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to get excited about, trusty old 11 Pro Max will be staying in it’s holster. I nearly managed some moderate interest for the Dolby Vision but then it dissipated. Low light camera stuff could be useful, but not a grand useful. It’s been a very long time since a launch got me going. Saving funds for pork.

To be honest your average phone user uses about 10% of the available tech on modern smart phones. All this banter about tech wars Apple this and Android that but 99% of the time all we do is use it to take thousands of bang average photos, surf the web, check messages, the occasional call, a few apps and to check the time. 

Edited by coldel
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, coldel said:

To be honest your average phone user uses about 10% of the available tech on modern smart phones. All this banter about tech wars Apple this and Android that but 99% of the time all we do is use it to take thousands of bang average photos, surf the web, check messages, the occasional call, a few apps and to check the time. 

Hence why I've decided on a not top of the range phone. No need for it. If I want to take photos, I'll use my DSLR

Can’t even remember the last time I used my DSLR, whilst it’s clearly superior to any camera on a phone it just seems so much hassle to carry around when the phone will capture the moment in a far easier way, and with 80% of the quality (which, given my average photography skills, is 100% as good as I’m ever going to need!).