anyone went from rx8 to 350z?

Finalboss

Hi guys ive wanted a 350z for a while and currently have a rx8 R3 the fancy version with the recaros, bilstein suspension and the aero kit. Its pretty stock apart from breather mods, uprated discs, pads and fluid and good tyres. with these it copes with track use very well. Has anyone else went from an rx8 to a 350z and if so how do they compare on road and track, does the 350z oem cooling system and brembo brakes cope well enough?

119193421_1932431663557986_9131553370500797733_n.jpg

Edited by Finalboss

I’ve tracked an rx8 too (admittedly one with no interior, r888s and bc racing suspension) and it was great fun, it’s my mate’s toy and I had a riot keeping up with it in my old 645ci. 

In answer to your question, cooling system is absolutely fine but you’ll prob want to swap the pads out for something better. I love the Performance Friction pads, match them with their discs and stopping power and fade are exactly where you’d want them to be. 

Pretty much exactly that. The Rex is ultimately more fun as you can really wring its neck, but actually having torque makes the 350 better to pull out of the corners so it’s definitely quicker, although I don’t think there’s a huge amount in it. 

I’m a big fan of the Rex, but the 350 is easier to live with. 

• Like 1

I had 2 Zeds covering over 5 years of ownership, and briefly owned a RX8 as a track toy (only did 1 day in it before moving it on).

I much preferred the power delivery of the 350z. as Ekona said, there is far more torque which makes it much easier to live with.  I didnt enjoy having to drive the arse of the rex to get anything out of it.  The 350z is much more of a GT cruiser.

• Like 1

I had a track specced bridgeported rx8 that on track was amazing, far more capable than the 350z buuuuut fuel economy was awful cooling was bad no matter what I did and just general maintanace was a bit much. The 350 is not as agile or as quick but I just drove to nur getting 30mpg on journey out, cooling temps never went over 99 (I have a bigger rad) and was still good on track, I wouldn't go back to an 8 now

Edited by Eddie_r32
  • Like 1

Thank for the replys guys very honest rather than "350z is the best car ever made" the rx8 is terrible on fuel Eddie I have to agree, a bridgeported one must have been incredible! Im not 100% sure whether the extra power would be offset by the loss of cornering ability but I think it would be nice to have a bit more grunt for some more power oversteer!

I had a Rex 231 when they came out and coincidentally there was a new 350z ragtop in the same showroom, sales guy didn't like the Zed said it was a tank.

Obviously it was a Mazda showroom soo..... anyway had the Rex just as a daily driver.

I loved it great on long trips, fun on corners never had a 4 seater car with a boot that stuck like glue, but for a car where you check the oil on a regular basis why you had to take that damn cover off everytime and had the stick well inside the engine bay! 

I do miss the washing machine on fast spin noise.

The 350 came later coincidentally a ragtop and yes it's a different game all together. It's a bit of a bruiser compared to the Rex Gazelle.

Great GT car isn't bothered by anything, heavy car, better on fuel than Rex but interior not as good as Mazda's.

You will love it if you get one. 

Miss both of them great cars. :)

• Like 2