Use a Nissan Leaf to power your home?

stanski

Interesting concept, use your Nissan Leaf to store the energy you will need in the house? 

Read the article but surely just get a bank of batteries stick them in the shed (if you have one) and do the same thing no need for a PCP scheme for a car? 

Then again surely it must reduce the longevity of your car battery for erm your car?

https://mol.im/a/8772011

We've had our PowerWall installed for 11 months now. Even with just 14kWh usable, and charging an EV, we have been able to shift our electricity usage to 'off peak' rate 93% of the time.

Interestingly with a relatively small 4KW solar PV panel with non ideal facing it generated 43% of our total electricity usage - which again including charging an EV. Without charging the EV I recon the solar PVs would have covered 80%+ of our electricity usage.

Am not sure using your car EV battery to grid shift makes much though versus just getting some home batteries.

50410840031_2a8fcc9498_k_d.jpg

50 minutes ago, gangzoom said:

We've had our PowerWall installed for 11 months now. Even with just 14kWh usable, and charging an EV, we have been able to shift our electricity usage to 'off peak' rate 93% of the time.

Interestingly with a relatively small 4KW solar PV panel with non ideal facing it generated 43% of our total electricity usage - which again including charging an EV. Without charging the EV I recon the solar PVs would have covered 80%+ of our electricity usage.

Am not sure using your car EV battery to grid shift makes much though versus just getting some home batteries.

50410840031_2a8fcc9498_k_d.jpg

Thanks for that information it's very interesting. When we moved to this house it had old solar panels on the roof but I think they were for hot water heating not electricity, think they must have been from the 90s maybe earlier.

Got rid plus the massive panels and boiler setup, took up so much space. 

I probably would consider off grid stylie electricity though but not through an EV which I don't own.

Out of curiosity what type of batteries are they lead acid or lithium?

4 hours ago, stanski said:

Out of curiosity what type of batteries are they lead acid or lithium?

The PowerWall is Lithium Ion but very pricey - there are cheaper options, and if you don't have an EV you don't need 14kWh either.

Interestingly it looks like I used 3500kWh of electricity to charge the EV, 99% of that is at home. So if you take away our home electricity usage it shows our home electricity usage was about 3000kWh, so our relatively small 4KW solar PV panels covers nearly 90% of home electricity usage!!

Am going to add another 3-5KW of solar panels to the house at somepoint in future, we should be able to achieve near 100% off grid usage excluding EV charging at some point :).

50375927792_79c62deb8e_b.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gangzoom said:

The PowerWall is Lithium Ion but very pricey - there are cheaper options, and if you don't have an EV you don't need 14kWh either.

Interestingly it looks like I used 3500kWh of electricity to charge the EV, 99% of that is at home. So if you take away our home electricity usage it shows our home electricity usage was about 3000kWh, so our relatively small 4KW solar PV panels covers nearly 90% of home electricity usage!!

Am going to add another 3-5KW of solar panels to the house at somepoint in future, we should be able to achieve near 100% off grid usage excluding EV charging at some point :).

50375927792_79c62deb8e_b.jpg

Thanks for the information something I might consider.

I was thinking about converting my old VW Beetle to EV so maybe consider the power wall about that time but it's years off yet.

Edited by stanski