Old member and an old Zed to remember an even older member

Lexx

Hola folks. 

Some time since I've been around these parts, and even longer since I was in any kind of car scene. Kids etc forced me hand and I sold my last toy back in 2015.

Lots has happened since then, and when we lost one of the founder members I bought his private number plate from the guy who bought Martins 350z.

I always wanted to get those plates back onto a Zed one day. After a "life's too short" tragedy a few weeks back it was decided to put my ass in gear and sort something. 

So here we have it. OK, it's not a Z33 or Z34. But Martin owned a Z32 back in the day and I'm sure those of you who remember him will appreciate his plate living on. 

IMG_20200829_172144.jpg

IMG_20200830_190321.jpg

IMG_20200830_190330.jpg

Screenshot_20200813_144034_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

IMG-20200901-WA0007.jpg

• Like 9

As Dan alludes to above, it's far from a perfect car. Has a number of rust issues that need attention, but I bought it eyes open and have plans in place. 

What I didn't account for was finding out that the ignition was completely shagged and coukd be started with the key, a screwdriver, or a lollypop stick. 

£300 lighter from JP Car Parts and I managed to get a brand new OEM full set of keys and locks/ignition. 

Much much swearing later and a new ignition is in. Locks etc to follow. 

It'll be slow progress over next 2 weeks as the class bubble my 2 girls are in have been told to isolate so there goes my 3 weeks of free time to work on it! 

IMG_20200922_114421.jpg

Welcome back Lexx! :thumbs:

Great looking car, love that colour and great seeing that old plate again. 

Those were happy times, I can still see his ciggy ash blowing out of the window as I was behind him in mine on the Scottish Haggis run. :lol:

mart.jpg

Edited by stanski
  • Like 1

Had a little time to muck about with the Zed the past couple of days. Mostly involving removing stuff to be honest. 

Instrument cluster removed to replace a duff bulb and trace some wiring. 

Drivers side door lock replaced. 

Full rear interior stripped out so that I could get a boroscope into the sills. 

Although the sills are bad (I was aware of it) they are way way better than I expected and don't need full replacement. Just the rear sill returns on both sides. My mig welding sucks unfortunately so will have to pay for this to be done. Hey-ho. 

Image_2020-10-06 13_16_21_287.JPG

Image_2020-10-06 13_17_13_974.JPG

IMG_20201005_144339.jpg

IMG_20201006_124836.jpg

IMG_20201001_172027.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stanski said:

For a Jap car of that vintage in the UK those inner cills look better than expected. Try plug welding them a bit at a time? 

The inner support sill requires seam welding. 

Whilst I can stick two pieces of metal together it isn't pretty and would take a body shop longer to sort out for paint than it would for them to just do it. 

I'd hoped to get it booked in before Christmas for the work, but I don't see that happening. 

4 hours ago, Lexx said:

The inner support sill requires seam welding. 

Whilst I can stick two pieces of metal together it isn't pretty and would take a body shop longer to sort out for paint than it would for them to just do it. 

I'd hoped to get it booked in before Christmas for the work, but I don't see that happening. 

Ok understood. Good luck with it. Keep us posted.:thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Moral of today - don't buy old cars. 

After 2 days, 3 snapped bolts, 1 bust lip, and much much swearing I finally got the rear subframe dropped. Doing this on axle stands is not something I recommend. I'd kill for a 2 post lift! 

On the plus side I discovered my car has ABS fitted which is rare. 

Down side is dropping the frame has revealed all the brake lines above are completely buggered. At least I've found them before they fail. 

Tomorrow is strip down of the suspension and figure out which bushes can be used again and which need replaced. 

IMG_20201110_142825.jpg

IMG_20201110_143537.jpg

IMG_20201109_142215.jpg

IMG_20201109_120949.jpg

IMG_20201109_121804.jpg

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Olly350z said:

What a car, I'm super envious of this. Probably my all time favourite JDM classic. Don't suppose you want a MK2 nismo do you :lol:

So whats the plans? Full restoration? 

Full overhaul of all the suspension including painting of all components and new bushes. 

Full clean, treat, paint of underside. 

Booked in for early next year to get some rust in the sills cut out and replaced. 

Then after that's it's all about keeping it OEM+ and starting to enjoy driving it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. 

Suspension fully stripped down at the rear. Got the rear subframe in primer today (Jotamastic 87). 2nd coat tomorrow. And then top coated in a few weeks. 

All the arms have been stripped, just need to get time to press the bushes out before they're painted. 

Differential scaling has been started. Hoping to finish that off and have it painted before Christmas. 

Heap of Nismo bushes on the way from Japan. Might even get it all back together before the new year. 

IMG_20201112_094810.jpg

IMG_20201120_104432.jpg

IMG_20201112_105747.jpg

IMG_20201120_112620.jpg

• Like 5