Significant Engine Knocking Sound

PAWL3Y

My 2003 zed has developed a concerning and significant knocking sound coming from the engine bay, after starting it cold this afternoon. I fear the worst, but I thought I would share it on here for any opinions in the slim chance that it could be something common or (relatively) minor? After recording this video, I have not and do not plan to drive the car until it is diagnosed or repaired.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16iYwMi8B9ul7-N0prC4smQcjqzhr-nlh/view?usp=sharing.

Mileage is 116,000, it was last serviced in March (and has been serviced yearly throughout its history). Back in April it did develop a misfire but this was quickly found to be a faulty coil pack and repaired. It has run without issue since then, up until starting it today.

As with most car issues this has developed at a fantastic time, with a significant career and location change for me coming up at the end of this week... and garages fully booked with MOTs! :lol::doh:

Any help / condolences would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

19 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Unfortunately that does not sound healthy Chris, and a replacement engine may be required I am afraid.

How is the engine oil level?

Low mileage preowned engines are in stock if required and ready to ship same/next day.

Alex.

Yeah I feared this as soon as she fired up, engine oil is about 40% the way up between the high and low marks. I will drop her off to a garage for a deeper look, but I imagine the outcome will be the same. Thanks zmanalex, you may well hear from me soon.

Cheers guys