Main beam issue

Mikey_S

Hi all

350 rev up 06. Head lights have suddenly stopped working, side lights fine but no main beam. 

Car was sat for a week while I was away.  Started fine, battery volt gauge is normal.

On first drive I noticed they would come On intermittently while driving in the dark which was a right nightmare for the 15 min drive home. 

This morning only one was on and now this evening both are out. 

Any thoughts? 

Small update

Discussed with a mechanic pal, there is still power going to the units as when you go to flash the high beam you can hear the click from behind the headlights. He said it could potentially be a relay issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue at all? Or failing that can someone point me in the direction of the relays that could be causing an issue?

When it comes to car electrics i'm a complete novice.

I've searched the forum but can't find any suitable feedback 

Faulty bulbs, ballasts or ignitors? I had my driverside light go on my 370 a few months back. I actually replaced bulb, ballast and ignitor on mine as I had ordered all 3 parts just in case.

But you could try swapping these 3 items between the 2 lights to see what the issue is? Change bulbs over first and try the lights, then switch ballasts and finally ignitors etc. 

Worse case get new sets of everything for both lights and do as I did?

Edited by StormtrooperZ

The bulbs seem to work, well at least they came on intermittently although today it's just side lights working. 

I've googled the location of the relays but don't have my tools so will need to wait until the weekend to take the battery out and try a different relay, if it's not that then it's likely to be bumper off and investigate the ballast and igniters :yuck:

Removing the bumper was something I really wanted to steer clear of :lol::lol:

• Haha 1

On 08/09/2020 at 19:45, Mikey_S said:

Hi all

350 rev up 06. Head lights have suddenly stopped working, side lights fine but no main beam. 

Car was sat for a week while I was away.  Started fine, battery volt gauge is normal.

On first drive I noticed they would come On intermittently while driving in the dark which was a right nightmare for the 15 min drive home. 

This morning only one was on and now this evening both are out. 

Any thoughts? 

Could possibly be the battery on its way out, as you said it was stood for a week.  I know you said voltage looks normal but maybe pop a battery charger on and see how much charge you've got.

When my battery was in its final throws, the headlights were coming on with the lights switched off, and i couldnt get them to switch off at all until i disconnected the battery!  I dont know what causes that, i'm guessing some sort of odd voltage issue makes it spaz out.

Something for me to check certainly. I had an issue in the summer where the battery drained so it could possible be that. 

I've ordered some bulbs online to test this first before I go into ballast and igniters etc but will get the charger out and top the battery up as another check 

Cheers @marzman

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick q on removing the wheel to access the arch liner etc, is it relatively safe on a flat surface to use the spare wheel jack? 

As long as I don't go under the car (not that there is a need to) it 'should' be fine right 

Where is the best place to jack the car if doing one side at a time? 

Me again, not had a lot of time to do anything about this yet however  I noticed one on my number plate led lights was dimmer than the other, had two spare so swapped them out.

Checked the headlights 'just in case' and drivers side came on, I flicked it on and off a few times before the other one came in then both went out. 

Do you think this could this be a battery issue as marzman said above? 

Everything else works as it should, tail, indicators, interior LEDs, wipers, dials etc 

Currently delayed in moving house due to the chain so don't have ready access to any equipment as it's all packed so was thinking of possibly just taking the plunge on a new battery and hoping it's that. 

little update:

Had my battery tested - reader came up that it was only giving out 375 so ordered a Bosch S4 026 - Replaced the battery - still no main beam

Took the drivers side wheel off, went in through the arch, changed the side light - nice and simple, checked the ballast/connecter, seemed in tip tip condition, no moisture, no dirt, it looked like new. Took the bulb out, looked used obviously but no real signs of damage, replaced with a new 600K bulb. switched the lights on and.... nothing. (side light worked fine).

Have a work thing so only had time to do the one side so far. 

Anyone have any other thoughts on what could be the issue.

Relays changed

Battery changed

Bulb Changed 

What's next? :bang:

In terms of parts, what should i be looking for in ballasts and igniters? Could it be something as simple as a fuse? (novice when it comes to auto-electrics so wouldn't know what to check to be honest). 

Edited by Mikey_S
additional beg for help

3 hours ago, Mikey_S said:

little update:

Had my battery tested - reader came up that it was only giving out 375 so ordered a Bosch S4 026 - Replaced the battery - still no main beam

Took the drivers side wheel off, went in through the arch, changed the side light - nice and simple, checked the ballast/connecter, seemed in tip tip condition, no moisture, no dirt, it looked like new. Took the bulb out, looked used obviously but no real signs of damage, replaced with a new 600K bulb. switched the lights on and.... nothing. (side light worked fine).

Have a work thing so only had time to do the one side so far. 

Anyone have any other thoughts on what could be the issue.

Relays changed

Battery changed

Bulb Changed 

What's next? :bang:

In terms of parts, what should i be looking for in ballasts and igniters? Could it be something as simple as a fuse? (novice when it comes to auto-electrics so wouldn't know what to check to be honest). 

Sorry it wasnt the battery. :blush:

Have you confirmed with a multimeter that the ballasts are getting power? 

44 minutes ago, marzman said:

Sorry it wasnt the battery. :blush:

Have you confirmed with a multimeter that the ballasts are getting power? 

It needed changing anyway so all good there. I was hopeful of a quick easy solution with the battery. 

I've not but it'll be the next thing I check. 

Cheers 

Mike 

On 16/09/2020 at 14:49, ZMANALEX said:

You can access the bulbs, igniters and ballasts without removing the bumper by partially removing the front arch liner.

Going by Alex's comment, sounds like you should be able to access them from the wheel arch buddy. 

Edited by StormtrooperZ

• 2 weeks later...

Little update - it's the ballasts. (both apparently) Didn't have time or skill to do it myself so took it to an auto electrician who diagnosed. 

Ordered OEM replacements from HIDS-direct - should be here tomorrow so fingers crossed I'll be able to drive in the dark over the weekend! :surrender:

• Like 1

To put a nail in this coffin, my lights are now working fully. The auto spark noted it was strange for both ballasts to go but didn't have a root cause bar age. 

What was annoying though is i'd asked them to change the passenger bulbs (Xenon and sidelight) but they didn't so had one bright side and one dull side. Changed them myself yesterday, had a little scare where the Side light bulb came off when trying to pull it out and stayed inside the housing, Cue about 30 minutes with a wire noose and thin pliers trying to get it back out.

But all is well that ends well. Luckily for me as i got caught in the Severn bridge jam yesterday (spotted my car on a news report) and was stuck there for hours. Would have been in trouble if they were still not working!

20201029_092048.jpg.9e16d109383828652ba0c9fa04f95a84.jpg

• Like 1