Lazy headlight restoration

HEADPHONES

Spent ages in April wetsanding, polishing, alcohol wipe down and C4 coating my headlights.

They started to cloud up already:thumbdown:

A bit fed up of such short lived results after so much effort.

Then I remembered these quick restoration wipes where 1 wipe cleans the lens and a second one turns them clear leaving a sealant behind.

No sanding or polishing.

Apologies in advance.

The presenter is dressed inappropriately.

NO GLOVES:surrender:

So I spent a minute a side cleaning the surface with Meguirs Metal Polysh by hand.

Then IPA wipe down using a kitchen towel.

The towel picked up yellow residue in a similar way to the cleaning wipe on YouTube

2020-08-26_08-58-09

Left the headlights hazy

2020-08-26_08-59-00

Video of C4 turning them clear

A few days later they're still clear today.

2020-08-26_09-02-18

Surface not glassy smooth like in April but for a few minutes work it'll do me

Will probably post up pics of them cloudy again next month so you can all point and laugh saying "told you so":doh::lol:

So this is just a case of the ceramic coating applied in April breaking down in 6 months of exposure..? Then removing and re-applying as before.

Interesting, as I used ceramic on the OEM 06+ headlights I installed a couple months ago, so will need to keep an eye for when the ceramic starts to break down.

Pretty much my experience of the wipes too, quick and easy to apply and look great at first but after a couple of weeks they look worse than ever.

Somewhat surprised that C4 lasted under 4 months though. Sounds like you followed the right process to apply so not sure what caused that to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

Few months ago I polished my headlights with megs metal polish. Came up great. Then Used clear protection film that Davy recommended. Was not overly happy with the end result only because I couldn’t get the film nicely around bottom edge.  Plan was to remove it never did. 3 months on and you can now see difference between both headlights. Cloudy without film obviously.  Film certainly works keeping that hazing away. 

9B3BFE49-D21C-4A3B-9738-D503C224B2EF.jpeg

F136E004-4E67-465C-9ED4-92E0BD9CDB36.jpeg

04C29721-0127-477C-98EB-ED05A27EEDBB.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue with my lights, cloudy and scratched. tried the toothpaste trick but tbh it just cleaned them up (and made them smell minty!). but then tried a gentle rub with some Poorboys swirl remover medium abrasive using a sponge applicator. finished off with super resin polish. while not perfect there is a huge improvement for 5 minutes work.

Collage 2020-09-15 20_01_24.jpg

Took to this task myself today as my headlights were starting to get hazy. I used Koch Chemie H9.01 on a DA polisher and it all went after one test pass. 

There are still some fine scratches but as with all thing detailing wise, I got the results I wanted so thought I’d call it a day as I’d managed to avoid wet sanding.

Followed up with Koch Chemie M3.02 which didn’t do much as they were already pretty much crystal clear. Just in between coats of Carbon Collective Platinum Trim. I’ll report back on how well it does and how long it lasts but it claims UV protection for up to two years. 

Before and after is below. 

DBCB0F1E-7E9F-4C8C-BB73-A777A5457477.jpeg

• Like 2

On 16/09/2020 at 16:48, alexgv1 said:

Took to this task myself today as my headlights were starting to get hazy. I used Koch Chemie H9.01 on a DA polisher and it all went after one test pass. 

There are still some fine scratches but as with all thing detailing wise, I got the results I wanted so thought I’d call it a day as I’d managed to avoid wet sanding.

Followed up with Koch Chemie M3.02 which didn’t do much as they were already pretty much crystal clear. Just in between coats of Carbon Collective Platinum Trim. I’ll report back on how well it does and how long it lasts but it claims UV protection for up to two years. 

Before and after is below. 

DBCB0F1E-7E9F-4C8C-BB73-A777A5457477.jpeg

How is your engine bay not covered in white flecks? I made the mistake of not covering the rest with a dust sheet and it took an aged to get it cleaned up, in fact I bet there are still a few specs I missed.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sim said:

How is your engine bay not covered in white flecks? I made the mistake of not covering the rest with a dust sheet and it took an aged to get it cleaned up, in fact I bet there are still a few specs I missed.

Luckily the Koch compounds aren't too dusty. Some did get onto the plastics but I brushed it off. Saving a proper engine bay clean for another day :)

• Like 1