Has anyone seen this happen before?

davidv10

I took my rear badges off to spray them dark grey to match the rest of the car. I sanded them, primed them, sprayed them and then gloss clear coated them. And they looked fine when i put them on a couple of days ago.

However today its been raining and they now have spots where the dark colour has just gone from them?!

I did my front badge weeks before exactly the same way with the same products, and that still looks fine...

Any ideas on why this has happened?!

Here is my rear emblem, but it has done exactly the same on the 370z and Nismo lettering.

9C879E31-D115-4275-94B4-1B5C0A598039.jpeg.30632978a94a78f46d87535713ef82bc.jpeg

I had them sprayed before, but without a clearcoat and so they started to peel. Hence why i redid them with a clearcoat. So im thinking its maybe the clearcoat??

Edited by davidv10

Ok, thanks. Yeh i might have to try that. Its just weird how the front badge i did before is absolutely fine.

The discolouration spots look like its where water droplets have sat/formed, so many the clearcoat isnt reacting well to water (although that seems silly to me being a clear coat)?

Does anyone have any recommendations to any particular clear coats?

Edited by davidv10

I know you can get a standard clear coat and then a 2k clearcoat which i used for my bumper. The 2k stuff is twice the price but supposed to be resistant to petrol/oil etc. (Well, as much as your oem stuff is) so it may be just crappy clear you have used, also i think you need to give clear a good day or so to cure before exposing it to the elements (Temp and humidity dependant) so possibly if you put it straight onto car that may have been an issue?

just clutching at straws for you. 

So it appears i have the weirdest clearcoat out there...

I looked at the car again this morning when it was dry and there was no rain, and the badges are all perfect again with no discolouring :shrug: Im so confused... I almost feel like i have one of those mugs that changes colour when its hot but mine is when it rains :lol:

The main thing is though there doesnt appear to be any permanent issues with the badges.

16 hours ago, G1en said:

I know you can get a standard clear coat and then a 2k clearcoat which i used for my bumper. The 2k stuff is twice the price but supposed to be resistant to petrol/oil etc. (Well, as much as your oem stuff is) so it may be just crappy clear you have used, also i think you need to give clear a good day or so to cure before exposing it to the elements (Temp and humidity dependant) so possibly if you put it straight onto car that may have been an issue?

just clutching at straws for you. 

Thank for the reply. I did wait about 15 hours before putting them on the car, but maybe i should have waited at least 24 hours.

I mean they seem to be fine in dry, just weird as hell in the rain :lol: