350z Roadster - Cable tie on roof?

Rich350z

Hey All

I noticed when I purchased my 350z that above the passenger's head there was a black cable tie that goes around two of the soft top roof supports, along with a black strap that is rivetted to the two support bars.

Can anyone tell me if the cable tie is standard, or whether it's been added to "assist" the black strap. The reason I ask, is that it (the cable tie) has snapped, so I'm working out whether I need to replace it as I can't see one above the driver's head!

Thanks

RIch

Thanks Rabbit. From what I can tell the rivets and straps appear to be In working order......so I wonder if it was put on as a “just in case”. 
I think, like you said, I’ll put another cable tie on just to make sure!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 19/08/2020 at 20:21, Rich350z said:

Hey All

I noticed when I purchased my 350z that above the passenger's head there was a black cable tie that goes around two of the soft top roof supports, along with a black strap that is rivetted to the two support bars.

Can anyone tell me if the cable tie is standard, or whether it's been added to "assist" the black strap. The reason I ask, is that it (the cable tie) has snapped, so I'm working out whether I need to replace it as I can't see one above the driver's head!

Thanks

RIch

Hi Rich

Do you have a picture? 

The welds are starting to come away on mine and think adding cable ties as a temporary solution is a good idea.

Thanks

Colin

Hey Colin, I’ll take a picture over the weekend for you. If for any reason I forget (I’m prone to that!) then reply on here or message me please….I’ve got notifications set up so it’ll be a reminder! 

Cheers Colin

Rich 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rich350z said:

Hey Colin, I’ll take a picture over the weekend for you. If for any reason I forget (I’m prone to that!) then reply on here or message me please….I’ve got notifications set up so it’ll be a reminder! 

Cheers Colin

Rich 

Thank you.

Hi Rich

Just sending you a reminder as suggested.

Thank you

PS. I think I will get some metal adhesive and just dabbing some along where the welds have broken and bending it back into shape gently with a grip wrench and then use some clamps to keep it in place whilst the adhesive dries.

The existing welds don’t like like a spot weld to me nor does it look like a rivet so I think it might be an adhesive from factory. 

Thanks for the reminder.

The photo with the white cable tie is the one I was asking about in my original post - I replaced it with white instead of black because that’s all I had at the time and my only passenger is my 8 year old who couldn’t care less what colour it is lol. 

The second photo is the drivers side - no tie there when I bought it, so at a loss as to why there’s one on the other side in the first place - the strapping seems in place on both sides :shrugs:

67912091-CFE0-4929-8FF0-29A8DA98F0B3.jpeg

A99B5680-CF16-466B-B639-FD835389FEA0.jpeg

• Like 1