Corrosion Advice

Dicky

I have a 2004 350Z which has passed its MOT every year of ownership (Best cat I’ve owned).
This time there was an advisory comment pointing out “Corrosion on Sub Frame”.

Has anyone had a similar comment and if so, how did you go about sorting it. Unfortunately a recent touring caravan purchase means I can no longer get the car up on ramps but then again access to the middle of the car is limited on ramps.

Has anyone been able to hire a garage type lift, or used a service who can sand blast and treat the underside and if its very effective given the cars age ?

All advice welcome 

I’m not sure if a repair and by that I mean cutting and welding is necessary, if so I know someone who could do that because I don’t think my go to garage does that sort of work (I’ll ask).I’m hopping it’s just surface and as such I could either clean it up and treat it myself if garages hire out car lifts given H&S these days. Better still find a place who can treat it for me if there available, would treat old cars and if the end result is worth the expense.

4 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

What sub frame are they referring to?

The rear sub frame is alloy so will not rust.

All the other braces which do rust are easy and cheap to replace, so not cost effective to weld.

All in stock if required.

Thanks young man. Well they didn’t specify other than subframe. Im taking it to a garage to take a look and will contact you if parts are needed.

2 hours ago, Azurez33 said:

Thanks to Alex I’ve resolved this similar problem as he said it’s alloy so won’t rust at all, the panel in front however is a rust magnet so it’s a case of ripping that panel out 

Thanks.

Not sure how things are constructed under there but will investigate and if necessary get on to Alex for parts.

Green is the support brace which is massively abused by corrosion but I’d doubt by the wording on the Mot the tester means that, in red is the panel my self and another member have had rust through on us and Alex helped us out by showing us it’s literally a separate panel, you can’t really see it on the diagram but here’s the picture Alex sent us below, it sits behind the kidney braces the W strut mounts to 

CF359130-107C-4C65-ADE9-55B7C174DDD2.jpeg

EB866D06-E4A8-4798-85C9-976605F89933.jpeg

• Like 1

On 18/08/2020 at 19:57, Azurez33 said:

Green is the support brace which is massively abused by corrosion but I’d doubt by the wording on the Mot the tester means that, in red is the panel my self and another member have had rust through on us and Alex helped us out by showing us it’s literally a separate panel, you can’t really see it on the diagram but here’s the picture Alex sent us below, it sits behind the kidney braces the W strut mounts to 

CF359130-107C-4C65-ADE9-55B7C174DDD2.jpeg

EB866D06-E4A8-4798-85C9-976605F89933.jpeg

Thanks young man, Appreciated! 

35 minutes ago, Dicky said:

Oh I just assume at 73 I’m older than everybody :)

Im 58 Dicky. Not as old as yourself but certainly past the first flush of youth by a long chalk!

Corrosion is on my list of jobs to do next year. Considering my options and looking at the cost.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, NEroadster said:

Im 58 Dicky. Not as old as yourself but certainly past the first flush of youth by a long chalk!

Corrosion is on my list of jobs to do next year. Considering my options and looking at the cost.

Cheers.....and now I really can call you YOUNG man!! ....58 ? Just a mere slip of a lad, just getting started :)

• Haha 2