Newbie looking for a 370Z

Hello all, I'm looking to buy a 370Z GT in a month or so. My budget is £12,500. I would prefer it to be as close to standard as possible and it must be a manual - a stainless exhaust is fine. Absolutely no body mods, stickers etc. Colour is not too important but i flat out dismiss red or yellow! Lower miles is obviously a bonus too! And absolutely nothing with any kind of CAT' insurance history.

So please let me know if there's anything like that around.

Also, what advice to someone new to 370s would you offer when it comes to making a purchase? Weak points, known failures, manufacture recalls etc. All advice appreciated, cheers!

Edited by Mat C

Hi welcome!

I did a lot of research before buying mine, even though I was moving up from a 350Z.

Weak points of note are:

Steering Lock Mechanism on earlier models (around 2009 - 2011 I believe) these can stop you starting the car if they fail, most have been replaced or people just pull the fuse to disable the unit

Gallery gaskets again on earlier models are prone to failure as I think the earlier ones weren't metal.

You can find a lot of info on both searching this forum.

With your budget I'd aim if you can to get a late 2011 model at least, there were some revisions to suspension, soundproofing etc you also get a rear parking camera and TPMS on the late 2011 onwards. There was a slight face lift again (around 2014 I believe), you may be able to pick up a 2014 plus model but it'd be high mileage with that budget, I just had a look out of curiosity on autotrader myself and there's a 64 plate 370Z (base model though not GT) with 105,000 miles up for £11k.

Hope that helps a bit, but my advice is to have a good read on the forums! 

B

• 1 month later...

A quick update! So on September 12th i picked up a 370Z Black Edition, No.85. Came from a Bosch Service Centre, FSH, serviced and MOTd a couple of days before picking it up and in excellent condition. Has 4 brand new Dunlop Sport Max and new front discs and pads. I've bought a few bits for it (between Torqen and Tarmac Sportz) including a GT-R start button, AFE panel filters and silicone post-MAF tubes. Also sourced an as new "370Z" boot mat. 

Really enjoying the car so far and i seem to be getting an endless wave of compliments and requests for test rides! I read and watched reviews complaining about the standard engine/exhaust note. Well i love it, it sounds industrial and really brutal - though saying that I will be getting a stainless system soon!

So, im glad to finally be an official member of the Zed club and hope to gain much more from the car and indeed here. Cheers!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Payco said:

Welcome. nice car but I BET if you lurk on here for too long it wont stay standard at all.:stir:

Ha, none of my cars tend to for very long! Will be getting a stainless system, re-map, spacers and coilovers in the near future. No desire to do anything beyond that though.

2 hours ago, Mat C said:

Ha, none of my cars tend to for very long! Will be getting a stainless system, re-map, spacers and coilovers in the near future. No desire to do anything beyond that though.

I'm going to keep this response and share it with you in 18 months time to remind you what you said when you are the owner of a modded z.:teeth:  I said that 10 years ago and then did this to my 350 and again on a Nismo 370z.

reflections.jpg

my 350z.jpg

Edited by Payco
  • Like 1

I used to do the modding scene a lot, even had a magazine feature but nowadays it just doesn't interest me beyond a wee bit more power and an improved ride height. Would never even entertain the idea of body and interior mods and i love the standard anthracite Rays!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mat C said:

I used to do the modding scene a lot, even had a magazine feature but nowadays it just doesn't interest me beyond a wee bit more power and an improved ride height. Would never even entertain the idea of body and interior mods and i love the standard anthracite Rays!

lets see over the next 12 months.:stir::drive1

10 hours ago, ShortPaul said:

Ok the wheels look like they fill the arches better than they usually do from the pic:blush:

Agree and the angle of the pic does make it look like they fill the arches better. :thumbs:

I have spacers on mine and they do look better I reckon. The wheels do sit inside the arches a bit too much as standard for me. 

• Thanks 1