That spot which seems common to rust on a 350z

Azurez33

So from the title of you know you know, on my pride and joy I’ve found that bastarding spot where the V brace bolts to the body just behind the saddle tank and in front of the diff has started to rust, a friend of mine on here is also suffering this issue, I’m under no illusion it’s everything out on the back: exhaust, diff, subframe fuel tank to try and sort it... how much have you been quoted if you’ve had this issue or know of this issue? 

3C902AED-1782-4271-BDFF-28595FBDE833.jpeg

The rear cross panel serves little purpose except to trap dirt and moisture and is not structural.

Most just remove it, and run without it, which is quite easy to remove as it will just crumble into pieces on removal..

if you do prefer to replace I have them in stock and it is not nearly such a big job as you describe in your post and can easily be done in 2 hours.

The "W" bracing and kidney brackets are also prone to rust but these are structural and will be an MOT failure.

These are also in stock if required.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

The rear cross panel serves little purpose except to trap dirt and moisture and is not structural.

Most just remove it, and run without it, which is quite easy to remove as it will just crumble into pieces on removal..

if you do prefer to replace I have them in stock and it is not nearly such a big job as you describe in your post and can easily be done in 2 hours.

The "W" bracing and kidney brackets are also prone to rust but these are structural and will be an MOT failure.

These are also in stock if required.

Thanks for the reply Alex but Supposedly though mate it’s within 12” of structural components eg. W brace? so surely it is a fail? So it’s not the rear body etc it’s just purely a panel for dirt and moisture to protect the tank ? 

Only £100.00 mate, for preowned and circa £400.00 for new. however it is an unnecessary expense, as like I said previously it serves very little purpose so my advice would be just to remove it.

However happy to take your cash if you wish to proceed with the purchase route.

• 2 months later...

Hiya all , ive recently joined and posted about a similar issue ive found on my 350z 

The rear cross panel , member stays and w brace are very corroded 

W brace and member stays look straight forward but the rear cross panel viewing how bad it looks seemed scary 

Looking at ur post im feeling more positive that not structural so dont have a problem leaving it but just looking at ur pic of the cross panel do the 2 studs on each side go through the member stays ? 

Many thanks 

12 minutes ago, Azurez33 said:

The w brace has four bolts to the kidney braces I believe, the kidney braces have two bolts to the body and there’s two nuts for the fuel tank panel 

Right ok thankyou , reading that the cross panel isnt structural i will probably just replace the w brace and kidney braces and delete the cross panel , id presume then that doing that would leave 2 bolts or nuts surplus 

• 4 months later...
On 08/08/2020 at 23:19, ZMANALEX said:

Only £100.00 mate, for preowned and circa £400.00 for new. however it is an unnecessary expense, as like I said previously it serves very little purpose so my advice would be just to remove it.

However happy to take your cash if you wish to proceed with the purchase route.

Do you still have this in stock? Failing that do you know where one can be sourced new? I am struggling to find the part number. Thanks

• 3 months later...

How do you remove the rear cross panel? Do you have to drop the subframe or will it just come out another way? mine is gone and thought it was structural too til I read this as garage thought it was part of the floor rotting out.