“1 year RWD experience” question

Reg97

So I attempted to get an insurance quote for my 350z through one of the insurers on here when I first bought it back in March. I was told they couldn’t cover me until I had at least 1 years experience driving a “high power” RWD car.

im just wondering if they check this at all... I’m not going to mention them In case I decide to ring back, but at the moment I am paying out of the arse with Hastings (£1400/pa)

or are there any insurers on here with no requirements such as that? 

it is understandable as I’ve only had my license for 3 years (no claims or such) and I’m only a young boy (22)

any advice appreciated, cheers gents.

Edited by Reg97

Tried Admiral? I've been with them since I got my zed nearly 4 years ago (when I was also 22) . They never asked about pervious RWD experience and back then I paid £872 which I thought was very reasonable. 

2 minutes ago, Jack94 said:

Tried Admiral? I've been with them since I got my zed nearly 4 years ago (when I was also 22) . They never asked about pervious RWD experience and back then I paid £872 which I thought was very reasonable. 

Yeah, they were second “cheapest” after Hastings on comparethemarket so I rang them for a proper quote (as sometimes they are different to what they’ll offer via price comparison... quote for fully comp was £1550.

i can get very cheap quotes (£700ish) if I go Third Party Fire and Theft only... but it’s a risk at the end of the day

Edited by Reg97

Might be worth using a few different comparison sites if you haven't already?

I've always found using the exact same details on Confused rather than Compare The Market gives a cheaper price for Admiral (think this might be because Admiral own Confused.com). 

Obviously choosing your cover type just comes down to how much the risk is worth to you. 

In regards to whether or not insurers check certain details.. Personally I'd never lie, the last thing you want is to be in the situation where they won't pay a claim because you've not been honest. 

4 minutes ago, Jack94 said:

Might be worth using a few different comparison sites if you haven't already?

I've always found using the exact same details on Confused rather than Compare The Market gives a cheaper price for Admiral (think this might be because Admiral own Confused.com). 

Obviously choosing your cover type just comes down to how much the risk is worth to you. 

In regards to whether or not insurers check certain details.. Personally I'd never lie, the last thing you want is to be in the situation where they won't pay a claim because you've not been honest. 

Confused.com is a good shout, I’ve only really ever used GoCompare and CompareTheMeerkat

and I agree with you on the lying. But I wasn’t sure if they’d ask for proof of previous car history - not really big on insurance knowledge myself. 

appreciate the advice mate 

• Like 1

Give direct line a try also, try things like adding a parent, older sibling etc to the policy, you may find it reduces the quote 

You could always get a parent to insure it and have you as a named driver but then you don't get to build up your no claims. 

Just some things to try :thumbs:

I remember paying around 1300 for a 1ltr h reg fiesta when I was 21 :yuck:

Edit* just realised the question was more on RWD experience :bangin: 

Edited by Mikey_S

Exactly the same was said to me, I had 8yrs no claims and swapping mid term from a hot hatch to a 350z Adrian Flux said they'd prefer if I had 12 months experience with a performance rwd car. Ending up going with Hastings direct for the first 12 months then to Sky Insurance then later back to Flux

Edited by davey_83

10 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Exactly the same was said to me, I had 8yrs no claims and swapping mid term from a hot hatch to a 350z Adrian Flux said they'd prefer if I had 12 months experience with a performance rwd car. Ending up going with Hastings direct for the first 12 months then to Sky Insurance then later back to Flux

That’s my current plan to be honest Davey, I’ve only had the car for about 5 months so far, fingers crossed it’s worth the wait in 7 months time.

41 minutes ago, Silverthorn said:

Greenlight was by far the best for me personally. Waaay cheaper than the best Flux culd offer me.

Greenlight was who I was referring to with the “1 year of experience”.

the bloke I spoke to on the forum said he used to be a forum member, really nice chap but unfortunately there’s nothing he could do.

I’m nearly 30 and had my license for years and I couldn’t even get insured for a test drive when buying my Z.

Once I bought it, I wanted to declare the mods so rang Flux, Greenlight, Brentacre etc and I could only get a quote with Flux which was reasonable. The rest wanted 1yr RWD experience... where do you draw the line?

I’ve driven some Beamers without randomly spinning out but never owned one. Does having driven a 118i really help with a 350Z :surrender: I’m just taking the hit for the first year but maybe you could go down that path, mine never specified “powerful/performance”. Maybe I’ll get some better quotes on renewal, I don’t daily the car so the miles aren’t that high. 

When I was with a plan they always asked about previous rwd experience as it would reduce quotes from some insurers

That was for my r33 skyline import. I’m with sky now on my 350GT import as it wouldn’t show on the database for confused.com

For a 350z I would always try a comparison site first

41 minutes ago, alexgv1 said:

I’m nearly 30 and had my license for years and I couldn’t even get insured for a test drive when buying my Z.

Once I bought it, I wanted to declare the mods so rang Flux, Greenlight, Brentacre etc and I could only get a quote with Flux which was reasonable. The rest wanted 1yr RWD experience... where do you draw the line?

I’ve driven some Beamers without randomly spinning out but never owned one. Does having driven a 118i really help with a 350Z :surrender: I’m just taking the hit for the first year but maybe you could go down that path, mine never specified “powerful/performance”. Maybe I’ll get some better quotes on renewal, I don’t daily the car so the miles aren’t that high. 

it was 5 months ago now, but I’m pretty sure green light specified RWD 200+hp.

insurance has always been silly, oh well

12 hours ago, Reg97 said:

it was 5 months ago now, but I’m pretty sure green light specified RWD 200+hp.

insurance has always been silly, oh well

Yeah, well said! The only thing they could check is what previous cars you have been insured on. In my experience, insurance companies tend to be pedantic enough to do this.