Help please no compression

xxx180

Hi guys 

2004DE with 98k. Sudden bad misfire with code reader suggesting cylinder 4. Today I completed compression test. 5 cylinders were all 150psi however cylinder 4 had nothing.  No reading at all. I would of expected something if worn rings ? Would a valve issue cause zero compression ? Any help much appreciated.

cheers Colin

If it was that Alex how big a job is this for a diy person? I recently changed valve covers etc but cylinder heads are a different league I guess. Would I be best fitting a used head Cost wise mate ? Any idea on cost ? 
thanks for quick reply btw 

On 24/07/2020 at 21:04, ZMANALEX said:

Small job to bore scope.

Much bigger job to replace the head or the bad valve.

NISSAN OEM-Valve Cover Gasket 132708J112

Hi Alex

could it be a stuck open exhaust valve and if so anyway to unstick with head on car ? Would I see anything with valve cover off turning over engine that might give me an idea ? Is it worth running a decoke fluid through oil do you think? Car still runs albeit poorly due to zero compression on cylinder 4.
regards Colin 

I doubt very much if it would be a stuck open valve which would certainly give you a zero compression reading, similar to a burnt out valve.

If it was stuck open it would hit the piston crown and then you would be in big trouble.

If you remove the cam cover, you will be able to inspect the cam, bucket and valve movements.