Track day brakes

AlexRussell99

Hi guys, I done a track day yesterday and I was really shocked on how the brakes held up, I am running MTEC disks (grooved and dimpled) with the stock brembo pads, after the first session the car was shaking violently under braking, I guess the stock pads aren't up to the task. I am running motul fluid and have steel braided lines so I think they are fine. The only restriction is the pads I believe? 

What does everyone suggest for track use and road use? I was looking at the following options:

• Ferodo DS2500
  • Hawk Performance HPS
  • EBC Yellowstuff pads (I've heard mixed reviews)

If anyone can give me their two cents on what pads to run as well as what they think of any above that would be great. Thanks

• Like 1

Personally I’m a huge fan of the Performance Friction pads, they used to be called 01 on the front and Z-Rated on the rear but I believe they’ve changed the names in the last few years. Amazing on both fast road and heavy track use, but obviously not the cheapest. 

Out of the ones you’ve mentioned I’d go DS2500. The Yellowstuff are very good, but only on low weight cars in my experience for track stuff. I’ve never tried the Hawks. 

• Like 1

If the car was shaking its more likely to be deposits on the discs than the pads themselves - if you dont know how old the fluid is then it might be worth a purge as well. Get the discs skimmed when you fit the new pads and you should be fine :)
Yellowstuff are shyte, Hawk arent much better and DS2500 are a fast road pad at best IMO. PF like yer man says are a proper track pad, see also CL (I recommend RC5 on a Zed), Carbotech, Pagid RSL29.
Sure, they are more money but when that extra 10% is the difference between missing the barrier and going 10ft through it you wont regret it :lol:

• Like 2

I also suffered the same juddering as Alex when braking from high speed...

Disc surfaces seem fine and it was doing it all day long as soon as they got hot - anything on the surfaces should have been well scrubbed off?!

Driving the car today, no juddering... which makes me think it's not hub/disc run-out. But would overheating pads cause severe juddering through the sterring wheel?

Having said that, seems the pads might be badly worn after yesterday as the pedal travel and feel has changed drastically - far less travel, making you have to almost stab at the pedal rather than feather it on the road.

ps. Any opinions on DS3000 pads?

• Like 1

Its still the discs I reckon, it often gets worse as they get hotter - Ive had it on other cars but judicious use of aggressive pads usually sorts it, you could also try doing a bedding in process again which often helps. 
Overheated pads stop working, you can feel them slip slightly before they give up all together, they will rarely judder in my experience. Pedal travel is invariably linked to fluid, I reckon you  might have overheated and lost some hence why theres less pressure in the system now.   

DS3000s arent bad pads but still fall short of the god tier I listed off, if youre planning on tracking regularly Id really suggest using one of them - Ive heard good things about Ferodo 1.11 recently too but done have personal experience. 

Get it right and the difference is huge, I used to be convinced my Zed was getting the rear wheels off the ground under heavy braking :lol:

• Like 1

On 22/07/2020 at 22:29, msitpro said:

I also suffered the same juddering as Alex when braking from high speed...

Disc surfaces seem fine and it was doing it all day long as soon as they got hot - anything on the surfaces should have been well scrubbed off?!

Driving the car today, no juddering... which makes me think it's not hub/disc run-out. But would overheating pads cause severe juddering through the sterring wheel?

Having said that, seems the pads might be badly worn after yesterday as the pedal travel and feel has changed drastically - far less travel, making you have to almost stab at the pedal rather than feather it on the road.

ps. Any opinions on DS3000 pads?

Yep, we was in the same boat on Tuesday :)

I am going to be ordering some Performance Friction pads before the next one as well as get the disks skimmed and do a fluid flush and see if that helps. Hopefully they do. 

• Like 2